Wednesday, July 18, 2012

So You Think You Can Dance, Ep. 9.8


Big night ahead. Since there is only 1 episode a week this season, we get to see a group number, all the couples and an elimination. Whew! That's a lot to fit into 2 hours. So who's in jeopardy, and who will go home? We're losing 4 dancers tonight, yikes! Can't wait to see what happens.

The group number was awesome! Totally didn't expect that Marilyn Manson number to be a Nappy-Tabs number! I was expecting it to be a Sonya or maybe a Wade Robson.


Lindsey and Cole
Naughty dentist. I love it already! Cole plays the nerdy role very well. The dentist chair makes a very interesting prop...very cool! They are such a good partnership: both so talented and they have amazing chemistry (and dentistry!). I can't believe he can keep up the character even after the dance is done. Well done, sir! And ew! Cat totally just put his sucker in her mouth...was that really necessary?
My score: 10 out of 10

Amelia and Will
Should be a good number, it's a Sonya! The music is horrible, but the dancing is pretty good. It's so hard for me to enjoy a dance when the music is so off-putting. That's 2 weeks in a row with poor music for this couple, so they aren't too high on my totem pole. Obviously the crowd loved it though, they wouldn't stop screaming!
My score: 8 out of 10

Amber and Nick
Another ballroom number for this couple. Last week the Waltz, this week the Tango. Tango music is rarely good, and this was no exception. This also makes it 2 weeks in a row with boring music AND a boring dance for them. And again, they're not climbing any higher on my favorites chart. Sorry. I think maybe the producers are trying to get rid of them by these lousy, boring routines. They are pretty much begging people to vote for other dancers. Obviously they are really good dancers, but I'm just not blown away or excited by them in any way, as dancers or as people. Boring, who's next?
My score: 7 out of 10

Audrey and Matthew
Yay, another Sonya routine! This is supposed to be an aggressive number, and these 2 seem like the least aggressive ones on the show...should be interesting. Wow, so serious! Ouch! Audrey's legs should not be able to bend like that! I really like this couple. Last week's Travis, Titanic piece and now this. Both routines are complete opposites, but they did them both so well. They definitely have something special. They are so fun to watch!
My score: 10 out of 10

Janelle and Dareian
I love this couple, they're just so cute, and such a cute routine! You would never know that Janelle is trained as a belly dancer. She makes every dance look like it's her style. The same goes for Dareian (well, and just about every other dancer this season!). There wasn't really anything spectacular about the choreography in this dance, which is kind of a bummer, because they are both such fabulous dancers who are capable of much harder stuff.
My score: 8 out of 10 (for the choreography)

Janaya and Brandon
Very interesting music for this Broadway number...it really draws you in. I think this is going to be a good one! Haha, he just dropped her (on purpose)! Whoa what a cool and extremely difficult lift! I don't even know what that was! And to think that Brandon is a stepper, he did so good! That was just a lot of fun. They did a great job! “The stepper is stepping it up tonight!” So many Step Up plugs tonight!
My score: 9 out of 10

Eliana and Cyrus
Can't wait to see this jive! I hope Cyrus can nail it. He's struggled with the ballroom and quicker dances, so I hope he can continue to improve each week and prove that he deserves to stick around to the end. That girl can do the splits, my goodness! Cyrus is holding his own...keep it up! He's even getting in some pretty good flicks. It helps that he keeps a huge smile the whole time, it always helps make the whole performance so much more fun to watch. They did really good! He had some great lifts! OK, maybe he didn't do as good as I thought he did, because Mary is being really tough on him. It might not have been perfect, but the performance was outstanding, so who cares if the steps weren't completely right. Definitely think they were overly critical, I really didn't see too much wrong with his performance other than a couple of times he was maybe just standing a little, but not enough that it took away from the dance. Hope America votes!
My score: 8 out of 10

Alexa and Daniel
Another one of my favorite couples. Another interesting prop...a bathtub. Quite steamy, I must say. Very beautiful. Not much else to say. They are wonderful, it was beautiful. I liked it. The judges bring up Alexa's Achilles Heel: connection with her partner and the audience. I didn't really see what they were talking about, I thought they were both great.
My score: 9 out of 10

Tiffany and George
I was trying to think who else was left to dance, and I didn't think about them. What does that tell you? They didn't leave much of an impression on me last week, we'll see if they do any better this week. Chances are with the foxtrot, that probably won't happen. Oh, that music! Ugh! Gag! Again, good dancing, made almost unbearable by the old-fashioned music. How about taking these classic dances and make them a little more modern with some updated music.
My score: 8 out of 10

Witney and Cheon
Bollywood numbers are always among my favorites, so I can't wait for this one. I don't know what it is about them, the intricate hand positions or stamina and athleticism, or the fun costumes. So far so good. They are really in sync, which is so important in this dance. Wow! So good! Anyone who can complete a Bollywood routine and stay standing at the end, has completed quite an amazing feat.
My score: 10 out of 10

Results Time:
America's bottom 3 girls: Janaya, Alexa, Witney
America's bottom 3 guys: Nick, Daniel, Cheon

I am in shock!!!!!! Absolute shock with this bottom 6. I can't believe I am going to be losing some favorites in the first week! Alexa, Cheon and Daniel are the biggest surprises. Alexa and Daniel's routine was so amazing and so fun last week, and they are both so likeable (OK, Alexa, maybe not so much...but her dancing is stellar)! What happened??? I am soooo hoping that those are the 2 who get to stay. I haven't been impressed with Nik or Janaya, so I hope they go. It will be sad to lose Witney and Cheon, because I like them as well, but I LOVE Daniel and Alexa! Oh dear, so crazy! I did not expect that! How in the world did Amber, Will, George and Tiffany make through? To me, they are pretty forgettable. I would be fine with losing any one of those. I'm usually not this far off, this early in the game, not sure what America was thinking.

I'm thinking Alexa might be gone, based on her history in the audition rounds with the judges, and her apparent relapse in tonight's dance. It's hard to know what the judges might be thinking. They thought Witney's dance wasn't perfect last week. Honestly Janaya doesn't stand out in my mind, so I don't really remember what the judges thought about her. As for the guys, Daniel could be in trouble because of his partner, Alexa. They were a little critical of Cheon last week, but he made up for it this week. Nick, who knows. He's a ballroom dancer who has gotten a ballroom dance both weeks, so we really haven't gotten to see what else he can do. I don't really care to, simply because he is so boring! He has absolutely no personality. The judges said during the audition rounds that they weren't just looking for the best dancers this year, they were looking for overall performers, so maybe, just maybe, that might be enough for them to get rid of him tonight.

And why get rid of 4 in the first week? Doesn't really seem fair.

The judges decision:

The girl who is safe is: Witney. Although I'm sad to see Alexa go, I'm happy to see Witney stay over Janaya.

The guy who is safe is: Cheon. I like Cheon, but I LOVE Daniel. So sad to see the Aussie go! He was so likeable, I just don't know what happened.

So sad tonight! I think this week's dance may have been the deciding factor for Alexa and Daniel. The judges weren't crazy about it at all.

Well...I guess I have to change my girl vote for the winner. I knew I should have went with Janelle last week when I picked! So, she is now my pick to win for the girls.

Hoping for some better voting by America for next week, this was crazy for week 1!

No comments: