Monday, July 9, 2012

The Bachelorette, Ep. 8.9


Going into this episode, I not only know who Emily picks, but I also read who gets the boot tonight. At least now I know what to expect, and I don't have to be surprisingly devastated. I'm looking for some hidden clues tonight to see when Emily knows who she's not picking, and why.

The first thing that I thought was kind of interesting was Emily's summary of her feelings for each of the guys. She says pretty much the same about each of the guys (just has she has every other week, too), however, I think it is interesting that she doesn't ever mention anything about Arie being a good dad. She does say that about the other two. Here are some of the adjectives she uses to describe them:

Sean = jackpot, complete package, best dad ever

Jef = weird, unique, adventure, best husband and best step-dad ever

Arie = youthful, sweet, sensitive, best friend

Based on those descriptions alone, you would think she is leaning towards Sean and Jef, and that Arie would be the odd man out.


Date #1: Sean
Sean and Emily get to spend alone time on their own island. Sean gets put on the spot about his past relationships, and obviously Emily has some concerns. He is the only guy who hasn't specifically said “I love you”, and his family told her about him treating his past girlfriends like “buddies”. Very quickly, Sean not saying “I love you” is sending him down a quick roller coaster into Friendsville. The problem is that he does have those “love” feelings, it's pretty obvious, but something is holding him back. Come on, you can do it buddy! Sean: you're losing her, you better do something quick! And, "I forgot what I was going to say"? Really? That really knocked him down a few pegs, I think.

Dinner/Fantasy Suite Card
Again with the compliments, Emily tells Sean that he is the “perfect man”. She's practically baiting the hook, just waiting for him to bite and get it over with! Aww...Sean wrote Ricki a letter, so sweet! BUT, that doesn't quite count as an "I love YOU". And, then, there it is! Finally, he sputters a bit, but he is able to tell her those three little words. Emily says that all her questions have been answered and she pulls out the fantasy suite card, and of course Sean accepts. They spend some more time together, but she makes the wise choice to call it a night. Emily is so happy and Sean says he's going to marry her. Awww...

Date #2: Jef
Emily is still worried about Jef's family not liking her. Jef reassures her that his siblings really liked her and gave their approval. He said that his parents really want to meet her. So, crisis averted apparently. They enjoy some fun on a boat, and Jef just continues to amaze me. He can be so quirky and awkward, but then he can be so calm, cool and collected. At the beginning of all this, I never would have imagined how much he would be able to envision their future, and seriously talk about being a dad to Ricki. I think out of the three, he's shown the most interest throughout the whole process.

Dinner/Fantasy Suite Card
First out of the gate with serious questions, he asks her where she wants to live. She says that she would go wherever he goes. Ooh, next question is a good one, why hasn't any of her other relationships not worked, was it her or them....wow. Last question, does she think that he is a good fit for Ricki. You can tell he's really thinking seriously about these things, no one else is asking these serious questions. Out pops the fantasy suite card, and he says he'd like to go, but graciously says that he would totally understand if she didn't want to because Ricki would watch and their families would be watching. Emily says: "It was very sweet, but at the same time, I wanted to turn him down. But he kinda turned me down!" I personally, don't think he could have handled the situation any better. I'm assuming the rest of the night went just as well as the day and the dinner...I'm assuming because, for whatever reason, the cable got a glitch and it kept replaying the same 5 seconds of tape over and over and over again; by the time it came back, it was a commercial.

Date #3: Arie
Ok, I think Arie is kind of a dork, there I said it. Man, they barely boarded the boat and their all ready making out. Totally jealous that they got to swim with the dolphins out in the ocean. As their swimming, she's totally freaked out..come on Emily, their dolphins for goodness sake! She thinks Arie is protecting her, so for that reason, she thinks he'll make a good dad. I guess it's good that she sees something in him other than just the kissing. She's made it no secret that she loves kissing Arie. But just in case we didn't know, she says “kiss” 7 times...”because it's that good.” Ok, we get it! Just get a room already! Oh wait...

Dinner/Fantasy Suite Card
So, when she talks about “real life” stuff with Jef, it sounds so much more interesting than talking about what time Arie gets up in the morning. Was it just me or did Arie's “thoughts” about how to gain Ricki's trust seem like a very researched, scientific answer? I don't think he was really smart enough to think that up. As the dinner comes to an end, Emily decides she isn't going to extend the fantasy suite invitation to Arie because she “doesn't trust herself”. Oh please, she's shown that she is a very strong person, and as devoted to being a good role model for Ricki that she's been this whole time, I don't see why just a few hours alone with Arie would change that. I guess maybe I just don't seem him as that attractive. If one would have a problem controlling oneself, I would think it would be with Sean, but that's just me apparently. Again, this could suggest that she is leaning toward Sean and Jef because she really wanted to spend more time with them, and with Arie, maybe it's only physical between them??

Final Rose Ceremony
Emily is visibly uneasy and uncertain about the decision she has to make, as she talks to Chris. She obviously cares so much for all three of the guys. I don't know that there's ever been a bachelor/bachelorette this upset about the final 3. Final 2 yes, but not at the final 3.

Each of the guys made a video for her. For a minute I thought she was a statue...she didn't move at all while watching them! I thought she would crack a smile or something, but she barely blinked. She actually looked kind of mad at them. She acted like she could care less what any of them were saying to her. Not the reaction that I was expecting from her. [Update 7/10: I just read that apparently Emily asked Chris if she even had to watch the videos. He basically forced her to because he told her the guys took the time to make them and that she owed it to them to at least watch them and not take the easy way out. No wonder she looked so mad!]

Side note...Arie and Chris are wearing the same shirt! Ha!

So, as foretold by the spoilers, Jef and Arie get roses, and Sean is the odd man out. I'm interested to see what the deciding factor was for her. Waiting for Emily to speak...waiting...I hate it when the dumper doesn't begin the conversation, making it REALLY uncomfortable for the dumpee. He deserves to be told why he was rejected, so she should be the first one to talk. And asking him what he's thinking about? Really, Emily? That's just pretty lame. All she can say is that she wanted it to be him. She can't give him any kind of reason? That's pretty rude, don't you think, Emily?

I'm so sad to see Sean go, and the poor guy didn't see it coming at all. I feel so bad for him! He was trying so hard not to cry. He really saw himself marrying her and becoming Ricki's dad. Everyone knows that he would have been my choice. I guess on the bright side, if he was not going to get the final rose, it's better to send him home now and not have to go through the process of meeting her family and picking out a ring.

Time to stop the sniffling, next week is “Men Tell All”! Always good TV! Can't wait to see what Ryan and Kalon have to say for themselves. 

Final blooper reel: Arie does like 100 takes of his video to Emily. I knew he wasn't great with words, but geez! What a dork! And what was up with the strange noises he was making every time he messed up? Not attractive in the least. Preview of next week suggests that she doesn't pick anyone...yeah, right!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I honestly had my money on Blondie, I think they made an adorable couple, he looked like he was raised with a wonderful family, usually that rolls over to how you treat your wife and children. I didn't sense any baggage in his past and he finally outwardly committed himself to her 100% percent. She said she wanted him to win and that was confusing to me-maybe the connection just wasn't there or maybe she doesn't handle pressure situations very well. May the best man win! Time will tell.

Lori Showalter said...

I know! I agreed with her--he's perfect! I don't know what the final deciding factor was. Chris Harrison seemed to think that it WASN'T the fact that he waited so long to say "I love you". He thought that she felt that she was more deeply connected to the other 2. I think that her and Sean just looked like they belonged together. Oh well, hopefully she knows best and hopefully her and Jef are still engaged and happy...we'll see on the 22nd! It's too bad they already picked Roberto to be the next Bachelor, because I think there's a lot of girls who would line up around the corner for a chance to be one of his Bachelorettes!

Lori Showalter said...

Here's what Reality Steve had to say about Sean's exit: "I think this was the first time in the show’s history where the lead didn’t even give the person a reason as to why they let them go, yet, Sean couldn’t have handled it any better. It’s not like Sean is gonna have a hard time finding a date in Dallas after this. Please. All class when he got eliminated last night. Didn’t cry, didn’t bitch and moan, didn’t curse, didn’t pull a Chris from last week and pout. The most normal exit from someone leaving that late in the show that we’ve seen. And he easily could’ve flown off the handle considering she never even gave him a reason. Although his exit was uneventful, I think it showed his character more than anything. Just seems like a good guy all around. Probably wasn’t rough around the edges enough for Emily is my guess."
As much as Reality Steve likes to poke fun at all of the guys, he has always had really good things to say about Sean. He definitely seems like one of the good ones :)