Sunday, September 9, 2012

Project Runway, Ep. 10.7 & 10.8

Episode 10.7

Challenge: cocktail or evening dress, with inspiration from a designer from each of the first 9 seasons. The winner's look will be produced and sold by Lord & Taylor.

This challenge proves to be very difficult for Elena, Sonjia and Melissa. Elena practically has a meltdown because her designs are way too intricate and detailed for this challenge and she doesn't think the judges understand her. Sonjia took forever to even come up with a concept, and then at the last fitting right before the runway, she has a crying meltdown. And Melissa started out fine, but her dress doesn't look right on the model and she has to start over completely, which puts her way behind and she might not have time to finish.

The Runway

Fabio
Black, simple, elegant. I like the asymmetry at the bottom and the necklace really sets it off. I also like the back with the zipper and the shape around the shoulders.
9

Melissa
I love her shimmery fabric. It's subtle, so it's not to overpowering. The silouette is nice as well. The only part I don't like is the pointy, triangle shoulders. Just by looking, you wouldn't be able to tell that she was working on it up until the last minute.
9

Gunnar
His look is very interesting. I think it might be a little too much leather for a cocktail dress. For a different challenge, I think it would be great.
8

Elena
I think for as much trouble as she had, that she actually did a nice job. The structure at the top might still look too much like armor to be elegant enough for the challenge.
8

Christopher
He may get in trouble for using the same technique he has done in other challenges, but this dress is nice. The top looks a little matronly and the bottom is a little too simple though.
8

Alicia
This is quite a different look than what she normally does. I'm not sure what type of fabric she used, but it looks nice. The back seems to be having some construction issues.
8

Sonjia
I really like this. I like the ruffles at the waist. I also like her fabric choice.
9

Ven
He also copied something he has done in another challenge: the rose made of fabric on her chest. But, it really does look beautiful.
10

Dmitry
I love the color and the slightly shimmery fabric. I love the way he accentuated the pleats. It's really pretty.
10

The Top 3: Elena, Christopher, Fabio
The Bottom 3: Gunnar, Alicia, Melissa

The Winner: Christopher
Auf Wiedersehen: Gunnar....wait NO...he's in too! No one is going home this week.

Episode 10.8

The Challenge: make merchandise with arts and crafts to sell to people on the streets in order to raise money for their materials. They will also be working in teams.

Christopher, Sonjia and Gunnar $684
I like the first skirt and jacket, just not together. Gunnar's dress is really pretty, but Christopher's jacket seems a little weird with it. It kinds of looks like a giant burlap sack.
8

Dmitry, Elena, Alicia-$500
I like the look of the dark dress. I don't think the cape added much to it. I think Alicia's pants look ok, but Elena's coat is too big and doesn't really go with the shirt and pants underneath. Nothing really looks like it goes together.
7

Ven, Melissa, Fabio-$800.48
I love the first top and jacket a lot, but Ven's skirt is hideous! It looks like an old granny's skirt. The first skirt was so much better, they should have let him keep the original. I love the complete 2nd look. The shirt is cool, the pants are great, and even the jacket is nice.
8

Winning Team: Sonjia, Christopher and Gunnar
Winning Designer: Sonjia

Bottom 2: Fabio and Alicia
Auf Wiedersehen: Alicia

No comments: