Monday, April 15, 2013

The Voice, Ep. 4.7

This week starts the Battle Rounds. The coaches put 2 of their own up against each other, singing the same song. One stays, one goes. The other coaches have the opportunity to steal the singer who was not chosen to stay by their own coach. Each coach has 2 steals to utilize. Let the battles begin!

Team Adam

Amber Carrington vs Sasha Allen
Really good song: "Try" by Pink.
I'm really impressed with Amber, I didn't think I would like her this much. I love how clear her voice is. It is perfect for this song. Sasha's problem is that she's a classic over-singer. Just because you have a huge voice doesn't mean you should belt it out as loud as you can. Not every song calls for that. This song is one of those songs. I would pick Amber.
Winner: Amber
Shakira and Usher all try to steal, but she goes to Team Shakira

Judith Hill vs Karina Iglesias
I hate this song (James Brown's "It's a Man's World"). Ugh!
So, who's gonna bust the lights out? These 2 have probably the biggest voices in the competition. They sound really amazing together. It's easy to see why Adam put them together. Their screams borderline over-the-top, but they are just controlled enough to be super amazing. This literally could go either way. I have no idea who he's going to pick, but I can almost guarantee whoever Adam doesn't pick, the other will be stolen by someone. I think the edge might go to Judith.
Winner: Judith
And just as predicted, Shakira decided to steal!

Team Blake

Holly Tucker vs Michelle Raitzin
Can I just say how much I love the song "Blown Away" by Carrie Underwood? Love it!
Holly was meant to sing this song, she just sounds so amazing. Michelle is doing much better than what she sounded like in the rehearsals. I didn't really care for how low she was singing the song on her verse. Holly just ruled it from top to bottom. Her power was amazing, but most importantly, it was not over-sung...it was perfect. Gotta go with Holly on this one. Head to head, Michelle seemed to crack as she was really trying to match Holly's power.
Winner: Holly

Christian Porter vs The Swon Brothers
"Won't Back Down by Tom Petty is a great song choice for these guys.
I think Christian proved that he really can sing with this. He killed it on the high notes. The brothers did awesome as well. This is another tough one. I've never been crazy about duos, so I would go with Christian, but the brothers sounded really good, too. I think Christian also kicked the stage presence up a notch...he was moving all around and interacting with the brothers, I thought that was really good. I'm not sure who Blake is going to choose. I would go with Christian, but the brothers are more country, so he'll probably pick them. I don't think the brothers were very interesting--they were good, not great.
Winner: The Swon Brothers

Team Shakira

Garrett Gardner vs J'Sun
Really interesting song choice: "How You Like Me Now" by The Heavy...but it works!
I'm amazed at how well J'Sun was able to adapt to this song. I have a soft spot for Garrett, but J'Sun killed it. He has such a smooth voice, but yet he was able to put some real rock into it, which sounded so cool. Garrett did not disappoint, so I hope he can pull out the win! He controlled his rasp and growl and used it very smartly. He even got the falsetto! Nice! This is a tough one, I do like them both. I think if J'Sun isn't picked by Shakira, someone might steal him, but I don't know if I can say the same for Garrett (Shakira was the only chair to turn in the Blinds).
Winner: Garrett

Team Usher

Jess Kellner vs Taylor Bekham
"You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse is perfect for both of them. I love this song!
They give me goosebumps! I thought I was all team Taylor, but Jess is sounding really good too! I definitely like Jess better tonight than in her audition. Their harmonies were amazing! This is going to be tough. I think Taylor may prove to be a little more versatile, but Jess has a very unique voice. The song seemed to suit Jess just a little more than Taylor. Taylor has such a crystal clear tone that I love. Whoever doesn't get picked better get stolen. I'm leaning toward Taylor, but I think he will pick Jess.
Winner: Jess
At the very last minute, Blake makes a steal!

No comments: