Monday, March 23, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 8.9

The Knockouts!
Each coach will pair 2 singers against each other, 1 moves on and 1 goes home. Each coach also has 1 more steal.

Nate Ruess from the band Fun. is going to be helping out all of the coaches. I'm interested to hear his critiques and suggestions. It's going to be tough to top Chris Martin and Taylor Swift.

And just in case you didn't know...this is the point in the competition where favorites are paired with non-favorites and the favorites tend to go home. Just FYI. Just watch all the people I like in my recaps below, and watch how many of them go home...it's going to be a bloodbath.

Ashley Morgan vs. Sonic - Team Christina

Ashley - "Heartbreaker" by Pat Benatar
I've really liked Ashley since the beginning. I think her voice is just so crystal clear. I think she nailed this song. I don't know that we've seen her with this much power before. The a capella part at the end was so pitch-perfect.

Sonic - "A Woman's Worth" by Alicia Keyes
I haven't been as much of a fan of Sonic. I didn't care for this song choice. I think she sounded decent, but it was a bit too whiny for me. Those high notes were really up there!

WINNER: Sonic

Brian Johnson vs. Sarah Potenza - Team Blake

Brian - "Nothing Ever Hurt Like You" by James Morrison
I love James Morrison! Awesome choice Brian! His voice is just so smooth. I wouldn't have compared him to James Morrison, but with this song, I do see the similarities in their styles. Very nice performance. It's going to be hard to make more of an impression than Sarah though. I would love to see him continue...not going to happen though.

Sarah - "Wasted Love" by Matt McAndrew
I was so ready to just vote for Brian because he's awesome, but she had to go and pick this awesome song from Matt last season! What a compliment to him and his awesomeness for her to do his song. Guaranteed her version won't even compare to his, though. I like that she was a little more subdued this week. She let it slowly build, and then she let it rip. Still not my favorite by any means, but man can she blow. Just please get some new glasses...please! Seriously, I'm so over them!

WINNER: Sarah
STEAL: Brian goes to Team Adam! I can't believe Adam used his one save on Brian! One of the Ohioans is moving on!

Clinton Washington vs. Nathan Hermida - Team Adam

Clinton - "Wanted" by Hunter Hayes
I'm so glad that Adam stole him from Christina. Adam needs someone like him on his team. He sounded great on this song. His talent is so incredible. He was so on-pitch. I loved the vulnerability and kind wavering in his voice at the end. So good!

Nathan - "Leave Your Lover" by Sam Smith
I'm not a fan of this song, but he sang it really well. His performances are always so effortless. He makes the jumps up to falsetto and back down so seamlessly. Really nice performance. I still like Clinton better though, however, Adam really seems to like Nathan.

WINNER: Nathan

Mia Z vs. Paul Pfau vs. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell
The reason why this is a 3-way battle is because Anthony Riley is not continuing for personal reasons. So, for the first time in The Voice history, one person would be left without someone to battle with. 2 will be moving on, and 1 will go home.

Mia Z - "Hold On I'm Coming" by BB King
Very, very interesting song choice. I'm not loving this choice, but dang, that girl can sing! She just let it fly! So many dynamics in this song. And those ridiculous high notes! One big negative: I don't think I understood one single word of what she sang...not...one. It was all a lot of mumbo jumbo.

Paul Pfau - "I Don't Need No Doctor" by John Mayer
This was a really cool and groovy performance. I really want to like him, but I guess I just don't care or his music style choices. It started with his audition of "Fly Me To The Moon"...that lost me immediately. He was a little better in the Battle Round because the song was chosen for him. Now that he's back to choosing for himself, we get this. Normally John Mayer would be a good choice, but this is a remake of an older song, so, I wasn't really feeling it.

Sawyer Fredericks - "Collide" by Howie Day
Yes, yes, yes! A Howie Day song! I knew I liked this kid! How will he do without the guitar though? His voice makes this song sound so different from the original. Normally I wouldn't really go for a voice like this, but there's something about him that I just can't describe. I really hope Pharrell keeps him because this competition needs someone like him. The end of the song was just phenomenal!

WINNERS: Sawyer and Mia Z

Meghan Lindsey vs. Travis Ewing - Team Blake


Meghan - "Natural Woman" by Aretha Franklin
Yuck! I so hate this song with every fiber of my being. She's country, but she really wants to be a soulful pop singer? OK, interesting. Yeah, I'm sure Blake is going to love that. I'm sure their history will make him a little biased if it's even a little bit close in his mind. She sang this really well, but I just can't like it because I hate the song so badly. The way she belted this song, it's going to be very hard for Travis to beat, sadly. I'm going to be so bummed when Blake picks her over him.

Travis - "I Don't Wanna Be" by Gavin DeGraw
Gavin DeGraw, yes! I love Travis and I love that he picked a Gavin song. I just have to hope that Blake wants to work with him over Meghan, who has seemingly turned against her country roots. He's got a slight chance! He followed Meghan as best as he could. He gave a really great performance. There were some really nice things he did with his voice. He has a little bit of grit at times, and then he can be so tender and smooth at times. Just really cool! And that note that he held out forever, was so crazy! I don't want him to go home. He did everything he could, and I just have to hope that someone will steal him, because there is no way Blake is going to pick him.

WINNER: Meghan

Kimberly Nicole vs. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Christina

Kimberly - "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free" by Sting
I so can't stand her! So, you know Christina is going to pick her. I really don't like this song choice, but that doesn't surprise me because I haven't liked anything she's done so far. She did more physical strutting on stage than vocal strutting I thought. That was a little shocking. She usually really overdoes it, but this was really subdued for her. This was so boring and forgettable.

Koryn - "Try" by P!nk
Great song choice! Her voice is absolutely stunning. I can't believe she's so young. She shows so much confidence and just lets it all out. I wish there was a little bit more in her upper voice than down so low., but other than, it was really good. When she did go up higher, it was even better, which is why I wish more of the song was done up in those higher notes. I think she showed that she wants this more than Kimberly did, because she left it all out on that stage.

WINNER: Kimberly 
STEAL: Koryn goes to Team Pharrell
Are you kidding me? Are...you...kidding...me...Christina?! There was no contest, and her team would be so much stronger with Koryn. Pharrell was obviously smart enough to realize how good she is, and he adds yet another really talented person to his team.

Review of the Night
As predicted, I lost so many favorites, to so many people I would have loved to have gotten rid of at this stage in the competition: Ashley, Clinton, Travis, and I would have lost Brian if Adam hadn't stolen him, and Koryn if Pharrell hadn't stolen her. In 6 performances, I ended up losing 4 people I really wanted to move on.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: