Wednesday, March 25, 2015

American Idol, Ep. 14.22

Top 9: 80s Week, with Guest Mentor Boy George
So, after the judges pulling a fast one on us and using their one and only save last week on Qaasim, we will be losing 2 people tonight.

Daniel Seavey – “You Make My Dreams Come True” by Hall & Oates
Right away, this is so much better than last week. He looked a little awkward at first without his guitar, but then he leaned the mic down and looked at some girls. It was going good, and then he seemed to mess up the words a little bit...and then his voice cracked. There was an oddly placed falsetto hoot, and a strange kick at the end. That was a real rollercoaster. It was kind of good, but kind of bad and cheesy. Not sure what to think about that one.
My Score: C+

Quentin Alexander – “In The Air Tonight” by Phil Collins
When I saw he was going to be singing this, I was really interested to see how he would do it. Will he do it close to the original, or will he make it even more haunting? It starts out a lot like the original. I really love it so far. I'm just kind of mesmerized...not even typing as he's singing...just staring at him. I think his vocals sound great. I had him going this week...not because I wanted him to go, but because I thought his time might be up. As long as Clark doesn't go home instead, I'm glad he's still around. He keeps things so interesting! And he's so talented!
My Score: A

Joey Cook – “Girls Just Want To Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper
Someone needs to give that girl some chill pills! I think someone electrically shocked her chair when her name was called the way she jumped. So, this week, she's "Madonna in space" (her words). Me being somewhat impressed with her started and ended last week. This week is another train wreck. I hope this train wreck wakes America up and bulldozes her down to the bottom of the pack where she belongs next week. The Joey of old is back. She starts out so off key, and she looks like a little kid just jumping around sporadically. This was so painful to my ears. The squeaks, shrieks and wails on every note just grind on my every last nerve. I don't consider this singing. And not to mention the assault to the eyes. That pink on top of her head: is it a big bow or is it more hair? Whatever it is, it totally clashes with her off-blue, bad dye job normal hair. Not enough can be said about how awful this was and how much she just does not belong in this competition. I'm so glad Harry wasn't feeling it.
My Score: F

Tyanna Jones – “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” by Whitney Houston
I have a feeling Tyanna will be back to herself with this song. This was a much better song choice for her than last week. Her vibrato sounds really beautiful on this song.  She had some really big notes, and I think overall this was a really strong performance for her. It should bring her back into the good graces of the fans after last week's misstep. I didn't quite get the outfit choice for this song, but she always does do her own thing wardrobe-wise.
My Score: A-

Jax – “You Give Love A Bad Name” by Bon Jovi
I'm really excited to see what she does with this song. I love that she is on the piano again. She didn't rearrange the song too much, but that's OK. It sounded enough like "Jax" and enough like the original that it really worked. I really liked this performance. I think some people might not like it. I didn't care for the screaming at the end, but those tender moments where she was almost whispering, were so good!
My Score: A

Nick Fradiani – “Man In The Mirror” by Michael Jackson
He ditched the guitar again, and this time he's slowing it down. I wasn't sure about this song for him, but it's really working for him. When the key jumped up, man was that good! I really like Nick, I hope people keep voting for him. I thought he might be in trouble this week, so I'm glad he's around for another week.This was a really strong performance. He's had 2 really good weeks back to back.
My Score: A

Clark Beckham – “Every Breath You Take” by The Police
Whew! WHY do they keep waiting until the very end to call his name?! Giving me a heart attack every week! He's back at the piano tonight. This was so tender and powerful at the same time. I will admit that he might not have hit every note, but in the whole of the performance and the emotion behind the notes, it still worked. And oh, how I loved how he changed the ending of the song! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! Then he threw in his little signature head flip, and just took it home. Loved it! Keith is loving it too :) Got the goosies on that one! Way to go Clark!
My Score: A

Qaasim Middleton – “Addicted To Love” by Robert Palmer
I can hardly wait to see what he does with this song. It could get a little crazy. Ooh look at him...he's actually singing this week! And he's singing well! And then there's that signature stank face. I really wish he would get rid of that! I have to say, I don't think he has ever sounded better. This was a great song for him. He didn't change it too much, he just sang it. He of course put in some of his wild dance moves, but his singing was the showcase tonight. Gotta hand it to him, he showed everyone why he was saved. He needed to have a good week after using up the season's one and only save.
My Score: A-

Rayvon Owen – “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” by Tears for Fears
He sings like he's dead inside. You look into his eyes and there is nothing there. Harry has told him he needs to connect with the lyrics, and he just seems to sing them. I don't feel anything listening to him. This definitely wasn't great. There were parts that were OK, but I just didn't think it really worked. I'm glad he didn't just rely on his falsetto this time, but his full voice wasn't that great. At the end it sounded like he was panting, trying to catch his breath. This was not a fast song and he wasn't running around the stage, so why was he out of breath? Did he breathe at the right time or what? It was just weird. I love that Harry said that he would love to hear him not go to his falsetto on every single song.
My Score: C

Bottom 3: Adanna, Rayvon, and Maddie
Going Home: Adanna and Maddie

Next Week's Predictions

Should Be Bottom 3: Daniel, Joey, Rayvon
Should Go Home: Joey

Will Be Bottom 3: Rayvon, Quentin, Joey
Will Go Home: Rayvon

In case you haven't noticed...I like to take a stab at my predictions right after the show airs, because all the performances are fresh in my mind. However, I often come back and update my predictions for who will be in the Bottom 3 and who will go home, based on polls and other searches I find online. So, for now these are what I'm feeling, but I'm sure they will change as we get closer to next Wednesday. I really do feel like Rayvon will be the one going home next week, but I'm not so sure about the Bottom 3. Rayvon was in the Bottom 3 and was the only one saved since 2 went home. That means he was next in line. I don't think this performance was enough to move him up past any of the other singers.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: