Monday, March 16, 2015

Dancing with the Stars, Ep. 20.1

Welcome back to the ballroom for Season 20! Woohoo! All hail the new and improved GOLDEN Mirrorball Trophy!

In case you're not familiar with this season's "stars", be sure to check out the cast bios.

Willow & Mark - Cha Cha
Gotta love the Hunger Games opening with Mark "volunteering" to be her partner. "May the odds be ever in your favor." LOL! This little lady's got some moves! She had so much confidence for being the youngest ever, and the first to take the floor on Season 20. Major props, girl! She didn't miss a beat. Her legs were a little sloppy, but that's nothing to sneeze at.
Score: 25

Robert & Kym - Cha Cha
It's so nice to have Kym back! I am not familiar with Robert at all, so I wasn't sure what to expect. He's got a silly side, but he actually had some moves! He showed more promise than I expected him to have. It was actually a pretty decent routine.
Score: 28

Riker & Allison - Jive
What a cool way to start -- crowd surfing! I think these 2 are going to have a blast this season. You can immediately see Derek in his dancing (they're second cousins). It almost isn't fair, is it? Who cares...He's got skills and I like watching him...so there! I do wish he would do something else with his hair though...it's a little bit unruly. I'm anxious to see what the judges think, but I think his technique was really good! He definitely had a boat load of energy, that's for sure. He might be a rebel in Len's eyes this season.
Score: 31

Charlotte & Keo - Jive
I'm so glad Keo is getting another chance. I LOVED their meeting and their play on Austin Powers with the round objects in place of her boobs. That was pretty funny! Honestly, I can't ever help but just stare at Keo and his natural charisma. I think she must not have messed up, but I can't speak about her technique...I was too distracted by Keo :) There might have been a couple of places where she was just looking at him to know what to do next, but she covered it pretty well.
Score: 22

Patti & Artem - Foxtrot
Again, I have to say, I feel so bad for Artem. She's already acting like a diva. He always gets the "older" stars, and now she's got to rest because she might throw up. Honey, it's only the first week and your "older" fans are going to keep you in the competition at least 3 weeks or so...so get in shape fast! Probably one of the slowest foxtrots in history, but she did it with grace and it was nice and smooth.
Score: 25

Chris & Witney - Jive

So, how many times will we be confused which Whitney (or Witney) he's talking about? OK, so he's already better than I thought he would be. I saw some of his "moves" on The Bachelor, and they weren't that great. Witney has the magic touch apparently, and she was able to get someone who had no rhythm when singing, to apparently learn how to dance with some rhythm. This was a fast jive, and he looked like at any minute he might fly off the handle, but he kept it reigned in. Very fitting for him to do Footloose. I would say it was a very good first effort. I'm interested to see more from him. His bouncy frame was OK for this jive, but that won't fly in a ballroom dance. Dare I say, he might be the most enthusiastically received Bachelors on this show? He had a lot of female screams out there.
Score: 26

Michael & Peta - Cha Cha
You can't not have fun dancing to "Uptown Funk", come on! His rhythm was so on-point. He hit every beat. That's not uncommon with the footballers. He had a lot more personality on the floor than I thought he would have. That was fun! He about died on the floor because he went all out! Also like many footballers, he has his own groove, like Julianne said. You can tell that all of his dances are just going to have a "Michael" feel to them.
Score: 26

Nastia & Derek - Foxtrot
Is anyone shocked that this 5-medal Olympian is good? And paired with Derek? She's guaranteed a top-3 spot with that combo. Foxtrot isn't my favorite dance, but I mean, Derek's choreography just makes the dance so enjoyable. She's delightful and graceful. Oh, Carrie Ann...she's just got to take a point off for that lift...that wasn't even a mistake, it was a flip, so it was pretty intentional :)
Score: 30

Redfoo & Emma - Cha Cha
I just don't know if I'm going to be able to handle this foo' all season. In small doses, he's tolerable, but we'll see what happens. That hair on the dancefloor is just hilarious. So, it was a lot of ufn, but I don't know how much content there actually was. There was a lot of arm movements and just standing in place. I don't know if I saw a whole lot of Cha Cha hip action in there. Very interesting to see how the judges take that.
Score: 22

Noah & Sharna - Cha Cha
You have to give this guy credit...dancing with only one arm and one leg is pretty incredible. I love that they danced to "I Lived" by OneRepublic. That's so fitting for him. Sharna is going to have a real challenge trying to choreograph for him, but so far, she did a really good job. This felt more like almost a Rumba or something than a Cha Cha. The judges hit the nail on the head with the chemistry that these 2 have.
Score: 26

Suzanne & Tony - Cha Cha
Tony in those tights with that Thigh Master--lol!! And that headband! Of course they had to dance to "Let's Get Physical" by Olivia Newton John! The first part of the song she was just sitting and doing the Thigh Master. Once she eventually hit the dancefloor, there sure wasn't a whole lot of physical anything going on. I actually thought she might do a little better. She stumbled quite a bit. But hey, she looks fabulous for 68...it's unreal!
Score: 25

Rumer & Val - Foxtrot
Val's choreography to Hozier's "Take Me to Church" was so amazing. The only think that would have made it better would have been to use the real song and not the house band's version. She did a very nice job. I wasn't sure what to expect from her because in real life, she looks like she's a little rough around the edges. Tattoos and weird jagged/half-shaved hair. After hearing the judges and the audience go nuts for this, I actually went back and watched it again, because I realized that while I was typing, I must have really missed something special. They were right! What a pair these 2 make! She had quite a bit of choreography where she was separated from Val, and she was stunning and so sure of herself! Her arms were gorgeous. I think she really surprised herself.

The Judges' Leaderboard - Night 1

Rume & Val - 32
Riker & Allison - 31
Nastia & Derek - 30
Robert & Kym - 28
Chris & Witney - 26
Michael & Peta - 26
Noah & Sharna - 26
Willow & Mark - 25
Patti & Artem - 25
Suzanne & Tony - 25
Charlotte & Keo - 22
Redfoo & Emma - 22


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: