Thursday, March 19, 2015

American Idol, Ep. 14.21

Top 10 - Movie Night
Special guest mentor: Nile Rodgers (who?)

Adanna Duru – Jennifer Hudson’s “Love You I Do” (Dreamgirls)
Ugh! J-Hud/Dreamgirls...yuck! Horrible song, but she sang it well. I don't think it was one of her best, though. She had some questionable notes. The song didn't really go anywhere. There were no dynamics, it was pretty much all at the same level. I agree with J. Lo, the emotion didn't seem genuine. She does tend to come across a little fake sometimes. Not as fake as Loren Lott, but still not completely genuine.
My Score: B

Daniel Seavey – Adam Levine’s “Lost Stars” (Begin Again)
The high notes at the beginning weren't too good, and he seemed almost lost. The slower pace of this song really showed off the flaws in his voice. Rather than excelling on the falsetto notes, they were strained. He even tried some high notes in his full voice, and they sounded really forced. When he's singing something happy and upbeat, you don't notice (or don't care) as much when it's not perfect. This song brought the bad notes to the forefront, and they were really noticeable. He had some really great moments, too, but there weren't as many good moments as there were cringeworthy notes. It pains me to say that this wasn't that great. I think he'll still stick around, even if this ends up being the worst of the night.
My Score: C-


Rayvon Owen – The Bee Gees’ “Stayin’ Alive” (Saturday Night Fever)
This doesn't seem like his style at all, but at least it might be a little more lively. We'll see if he can keep his vocals in check this time. OK, so this is interesting. For some reason, my first thought about this is that it's a little creepy. I have no idea what gives me that feeling. I guess this was a good song pick because the entire song can be sung in his falsetto. The song just was so boring! Boring seems to be Rayvon's thing...at least he's consistent I guess. I will say, the least boring part was the high-pitched screeching wail he let out near the end. I don't really think I cared for that. I love that Harry mentioned that he wonders what will make him interesting; he said there's no substance to the songs he's picking. Well said.
My Score: B-

Nick Fradiani – Kenny Loggins’ “Danger Zone” (Top Gun)
More and more, when I hear him sing, the more I think he sounds like Daughtry. Definitely a compliment! He dropped the guitar for this performance and I think that was the right move! He moved around the stage and really upped the performance factor. This was an awesome performance! This performance made me love him even more! He's been one of my favorites, but this really is going to move him up in the rankings, I think. There was nothing wrong with that performance at all...he did everything perfectly! Keith was right, he looked so much more comfortable on stage this week. I really disagree with Harry this time that that song didn't give him anything to work with. Yes, the words are meaningless, but it's such an iconic song...he didn't write it! Cut him some slack!
My Score: A+

Joey Cook – Michael Andrews and Gary Jules cover of “Mad World” (Donnie Darko)
This happens to be one of my favorite songs. I am terrified to see how she ruins it beyond recognition. No one, and I mean no one, should attempt this song after what Adam Lambert did with it--it still gives me chills every time I watch it, to this day. In case you forget just how beyond awesome his version was, you can watch it here. OK, enough reminiscing..on to my impression of Joey's version. Who knows, she might pull out something brilliant. If she could learn to not over-pronounce her words, I would like her a little more. This song actually suits her "style" if you can say she has a style. I love that she didn't over-dramatize this and she sang it pretty much just straight...the way it was meant to be sung. OK, I never thought I would EVER say this in a million years, but that was actually kind of good. By far, her best performance. J. Lo said it showed a different side of her. Yes...a side that actually can sound good...as opposed to the horribleness that she usually gives us. I don't agree with J. Lo that she made it modern. This was pretty much like the original. I don't think she did anything different with it...and rightly so...you shouldn't mess with this song too much.
My Score: A (I can't believe I just gave a Joey Cook performance an A! I will be shocked if this ever happens again.)

Tyanna Jones – Elton John’s “Circle of Life” (The Lion King)
This seemed like kind of a safe pick to me. She really tried to belt it out from the get-go, but yet, it was still somewhat boring for me. I think she oversang it. I don't really think this song needs to be sung like a power ballad. I don't think this was her best. I agree with Harry that she overshot it and she sounded like she was shouting the whole song. That forcefulness made her go off-pitch, which is really out of character for her. She was among my top 3 picks to win it all, and ultimately I didn't choose her. I think I might have been right.
My Score: C

Quentin Alexander – John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John’s “You’re the One That I Want” (Grease)
A classic movie duet...totally not his style...I'm so excited to see what he does with this! Wow, this was just frickin' brilliant! This might be his best performance yet in this entire competition. This was such a smart rearrangement of the song. It was so haunting and spell-binding! What he did totally made sense with the words...but I would have never thought to do what he did! Unfortunately, it sounds like he can't take credit for that arrangement, but he's smart for performing it anyway. I'm surprised the judges weren't loving it as much as I did.
My Score: A

Maddie Walker – Deniece Williams’ “Let’s Hear It for the Boy” (Footloose)
Every week, I'm always surprised that Maddie is still around. She is so forgettable. This performance was so boring and predictable. The band just drowned her out, she kind of sounded like she should have been singing back-up instead of the lead. This was very forgettable again. She didn't do anything exciting with this at all.
My Score: C-

Clark Beckham – Maroon 5’s “Sunday Morning” (Cheaper by the Dozen 2)
You can't go wrong with a Maroon 5 song! OMG! I was seriously having a heart attack here! I had just selected Clark as my pick to win it all, and his name was not being called and it's down to 3, and I was really starting to think that there was going to be an upset and that people thought he was safe and didn't vote. I'm so, so glad it wasn't him! He chose to slow the song down and do it kind of acoustic. It kind of worked. I'm so used to the original, but this was a cool version. His vocals were absolutely outstanding! That voice...please just keep singing forever, please! Those high notes...sending shivers down my spine and all the way down my legs! As J. Lo would say "goosies!". So simple, yet so beautiful. It didn't need to be flashy, he just sang it with raw emotion and he hit every single note. Awesome. He's just a true artist.
My Score: A+

Jax – Adam Sandler’s “Grow Old With You” (The Wedding Singer)
OK, seriously, Jax...this is such an awesome pick! No one in a million years would have picked this song...but what an awesome choice! I can't wait to see what she does with this! Such a silly song, yet somehow she kind of sang it like a serious ballad.It was shockingly beautiful!
My Score: A

Going Home

Qaasim Middleton – The Beatles’ “Come Together” (Across the Universe)
Oh, poor Qaasim. I had such high hopes for him. He brought a much needed boost of energy and showmanship to the competition. He made a HUGE mistake with his song choice last week and his fans dropped him like a hot potato. Fans loved him because he's quirky and funny and puts on a show every week. Last week, he picked a horrible song (sorry Paul McCartney fans), and he tried to show off his vocals. I know he can sing, we've heard glimpses of it in the past. However, his vocals were not on-point.

He does get to sing his song, for a chance to be saved, but let's be honest, just like last week, there is 0% chance of the save being used this early in the competition. It doesn't matter how well he sings this. As much as I'm going to miss him, I'm not going to miss the "stank faces" that he has adopted. He needs to watch himself sing some time, because it really isn't pretty. He gave a decent performance, but like so many of his performances, it was kind of all over the place.
My Score: B-

And yet...shut the front door...they use their save????!!!!???? You've got to be kidding me! I am absolutely speechless right now. What a waste! I like him, but he does not warrant a save in my opinion. He isn't even someone who they have said could win the whole thing or is a front runner. Those are the types of people who deserve a save. I don't think he can win, and if he has no chance of winning, he shouldn't be saved. Never before have they used a save this early, it just doesn't make sense to. I can't believe they had such a lapse in judgment. What happens if Clark or Jax go home next week, way before their time? The only good thing about this is that they can't save Joey when she gets voted out.

Side Note: How oddly fitting that they put Jax and Qaasim against each other at the end. Remember in Hollywood when Jax had a HUGE crush on Qaasim? I wonder if that's still going on.

Next Week's Predictions
So, it looks like they aren't doing Bottom 3 anymore...which I don't like! I want to know where these singers stand in the votes! I'm still going to pick a Bottom 3, just in case at some point they decide to do it again.

So, this is what's going to happen next week. Because they used the save, that means that 2 people will go home next week. Hmmm...how to choose...does Qaasim go again, or does he get a boost in votes from this performance and the save? My guess is he will get a nice boost based on the buzz his save generated, and from the fans who may not have voted because they assumed he was safe.

Should Be Bottom 3: Joey, Rayvon, Daniel
Should Go Home: Joey (even though she had a standout week in my eyes, she is still by far my least favorite contestant); based on this week's performance, I would say Daniel

Will Be Bottom 3: Maddie, Adanna, Quentin
Will Go Home 3: Quentin and Adanna



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: