Thursday, March 12, 2015

American Idol, Ep. 14.20

Top 12 Perform...again
They've got me so confused with the added Detroit round to get to the Top 12, and then going down to just one episode per week. Now, they're doing 2 eliminations in a row? I read that one singer will be leaving tonight, based on votes from yesterday. Which reminds me...I forgot to vote last night! Yikes!

We get our first look at Randy Jackson's replacement: Scott Borchetta. Let's hope he has some real advice for these singers and can help them grow and improve...unlike his predecessor and Jimmy Iovine before him.

We are also introduced to "the chairs". The contestants are sitting on stage, and their chairs are all lit in red. When their name is called to move on, their chair turns green. I kind of like this!

Tonight's theme is: Party Songs

Rayvon Owen – Ellie Goulding’s “Burn”
Rayvon showing some life! He smiled and moved around the stage which is a great improvement for him. Unfortunately, the song and his newfound showmanship did him no favors vocally. He must have focussed on not looking dead and he forgot about singing. His falsetto was atrocious! It was so screechy, it sounded like he was being hurt. There were bad notes all over the place. That is so unlike him! Normally his vocals are perfection, and so on-point, but he fails to impress visually. Tonight he flipped it, and did the opposite. I didn't care for that one bit. But an A for effort on smiling, showing some emotion and being entertaining. Now, he just needs to put them together.
My Score: D

Maddie Walker – Jason Aldean’s “She’s Country”
Parts of this were really good. However, when she really tries to sing loud, it is so strained and forced. She showed a lot of personality and I think overall she had a pretty good performance. She just really needs to work on being consistent through an entire song. She always has some good moments, and then some not-so-good moments. I'm still kind of surprised that she keeps making it through, because she doesn't really stand out to me, and she adds nothing to the country world...she sounds just like every other female country singer. THANK YOU HARRY for saying the exact same thing! He said she sounds like she's emulating her idols and sounding exactly like the original record. Couldn't have said it better myself.
My Score: B+

Joey Cook – Iggy Azalea (feat. Charlie XCX)’s “Fancy”
Just reading the song title that she is going to sing, makes my insides cringe. I know this song. I hate this song. I know exactly how she's going to sing this song, and it's going to be absolutely excruciating. Ears--I'm sorry you're about to be tortured. OK, so I was wrong about knowing how she was going to sing the song. She turned it into a Cabaret number. So, it was basically unrecognizable. One thing I was right about was that it was TERRIBLE! She spoke/rapped a lot of it, which is like the original, but it was just so weird. I can't even describe it. Then she added in her weird squeaky over-pronounced words just to make it even more awful. I just can't. Her audition was enough for me, and we just can't get rid of her. People of America: you might like her quirkiness and her differentness, but you cannot tell me that her singing is actually good. You cannot tell me that your ears don't bleed after listening to her. STOP VOTING FOR HER PLEASE!!! Are those "Vote for the Worst" people at it again?
My Score: F I don't think I've ever given an F to anyone before, but I honestly can't warrant anything about that vocal with anything higher. Usually, even if I don't like a performance, I try to still give a fair score based on the talent and skill performed. There was just nothing about this performance that I could score any higher. Pitiful. And to think someone as talented as Lovey James got sent home...such a shame. [Update, 3/13/15: I just read an online review that said they thought she was easily one of the best 2 of the night. I am terrified for America's taste. I am terrified that we are going to have to listen to her until the end of the competition. I am beginning to lose all hope...]

Clark Beckham – The Doobie Brothers’ “Takin’ It to the Streets”
Love him playing the piano! Can't say I'm happy about the song choice, but he makes anything sound good. I love when he really gets into it, and he gets that jimmy leg. I won't say that this was his best performance, but he still rocked it. Some performances give me, as J. Lo says, "goosies". That one didn't really do that for me, but he is still really awesome. And, dare I say, I think he just got a little hotter on the first live show. Those eyes! Beautiful!
My Score: A-

Jax – Taylor Swift’s “Blank Space”
I'm very interested to see what she does with this song. She does a great job picking songs. She didn't stray too far from the original, but it was uniquely her style. She has a unique sound and you could definitely say it was her song if you were listening with your eyes closed. It got a bit too theatrical at the end, but overall, it was a really solid performance. Again, she reined in that quirky sound she can make, and it wasn't overdone. I'm really surprised at the judges' very critical critiques of her performance. I really thought they would be all over it.
My Score: B+

Qaasim Middleton – Paul McCartney & Wings’ “Jet”
Who knew he could play guitar? It totally changes his look on stage...he's like a whole new performer. He didn't move around near as much, but he still sure showed that he was having fun. I didn't love this song choice for him. He definitely made the song "Qaasim" and threw in some of his wild and crazy falsetto screams. It just kind of seemed like it was all over the place for me. I didn't enjoy that near as much as I have so many of his other performances.
My Score: B-

Adanna Duru – Bruno Mars’ “Runaway Baby”
This is a great song, and an interesting song choice for her. I actually think she did a pretty good job with it. It would have been nice to have some dynamics changes throughout the song...it was like 100 mph on full blast the whole way through. As much power as she sang with through the song, she was able to keep her pitch in tune.
My Score: A-

Tyanna Jones – Janelle Monae’s “Tightrope”
She said she is in love with Janelle Monae's style, and that's clear, because she looks a lot like her with the way she has her hair and the clothes she wears. This is not my favorite song. She is still such an amazing song, even if the song stinks. And she's such a performer, so beyond her years. I could have done without the loud screams at the end.
My Score: A-

Daniel Seavey – Pharrell Williams’ “Happy”
He REALLY needs to bring the vocals tonight. You're in the top 12 Daniel, you need to show them that you can actually sing, because I know you can! I was a little worried that this song would be too "happy" and he would get too excited and out of control like he usually does. BUT, I'm happy to say that he was very controlled. His vocals sound so much better than they have the last few weeks. He still had a couple breaks in his voice, but I think that's just his puberty showing :) Very, very nice job, Daniel! I knew he had it in him! I don't think he could have done that any better.
My Score: A

Quentin Alexander – Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep”
I'm really excited to see what he does with this song! Very interesting interpretation...I wouldn't expect anything less from him. It had a really cool vibe to it. Vocals were great as usual. I really enjoyed it.
My Score: A

Nick Fradiani, Jr. – Avicii’s “Wake Me Up”
That was a close one! I can't believe he almost went home! Whew! I love this song, and it's a great choice for him. It's so well known, so that should help him with votes for next week. I just love his tone, it's so beautiful. He sounded a little too rushed toward the end, but it was still really good. You can't deny that voice is something great.
My Score: A-

Going Home

Sarina Joi-Crowe – Demi Lovato’s “Neon Lights”
Of course, she did get to sing for her life, but come on...were they really, seriously going to use their one save on the first night? I don't think so. She had a pretty nice performance, but it didn't matter how good she sang, there was absolutely 0% chance they were going to use it on her.

It's sad that one bad performance is enough to send you out of the competition. She had a breakthrough 2 weeks ago, and she jumped out of nowhere to the top of my list...for the girls. Then last week she totally bombed. Unfortunate.

Next Week Predictions

Should Be Bottom 3: Joey, Maddie, Rayvon
Should Go Home: Joey

Will Be Bottom 3: Quentin, Qaasim, Maddie
Will Go Home: Qaasim

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: