Wednesday, March 11, 2015

American Idol, Ep. 14.19

Top 12 are revealed! First of all, let me say, I'm so glad they are out of Detroit! I don't know what it was about the place they were performing, but it just felt so depressing. I don't think any of the singers were at their best in the last 2 weeks performing there. Part of that was the awful theme - Motown. This week will be better, as the theme is Audition Songs. They will sing the song they auditioned with.

Sarina-Joi Crowe - "Love Runs Out" by OneRepublic
Ouch, I think she started out really out of key and off-pitch. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like she ever got it figured out. The chorus got a little better, but her pitch still seemed off and she seemed off-beat. That's such a shame, because she was becoming my favorite girl. Apparently the bigger venue kicked in the nerves. The competition amongst the girls isn't very tough, so I'm willing to stick by her for one more week.
My Score: C

Rayvon Owen - "Wide Awake" by Katy Perry
Still, the only guy I would like to lose, and somehow he makes it through again. He is just so boring to watch. He just stands there and does nothing. His voice is so good, I just wish he would do something a little more exciting, or change-up the song a little so he's not so predictable every week. This was fine, but again, so forgettable. There are so many better guys to choose from. Who keeps voting for him? Ok, so that last note that he held for what seemed like a lifetime was pretty spectacular and so spot-on...but one moment in the song isn't enough.
My Score: B+

Daniel Seavey - "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul
Oh Daniel, such a cutie! He ditched the guitar this week. I love his little looks to the audience. He really knows what he's doing. And to figure this out at such an early age...just watch out! Most of his vocals were pretty good. He had a little slip-up when he messed up the words, and his voice cracked on a couple of the high notes. Honestly, it's not going to matter because the girls LOVE him. This could have been better, and I'm hoping next week that he can have a breakout performance vocally. He's got it in him, he just gets so excited!
My Score: B-

Maddie Walker - "Suitcase" by Gwen Sebastian
I want to like Maddie...but something is preventing me. She had some nice moments, but she also had some really wobbly, unsupported notes. She has potential, I just wish she could break through because she is still pretty forgettable.
My Score: B+

Tyanna Jones - "Wings" by Little Mix
This is such a great song for her. I remember her audition and it was really good. I actually think her a cappella version in the audition was more compelling. She is still one of the top 2 girls in my opinion. She, unlike Maddie, is very memorable. She has her own signature, and you just know she's always going to be great. She's one of the youngest, but she performs like she's been doing it forever.
My Score: A

Nick Fradiani - "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel
I absolutely love him singing this song. He's another one that I really remember his audition, because he really stood out. This was just another great performance for him. He's so solid and consistent. He just doesn't have a bad performance. I love watching him sing. I just realized that when he gets a little bit of grit in his voice, he reminds me a little bit of Chris Daughtry. He even looks a little bit like him.
My Score: A+

Jax - "I Want To Hold Your Hand" by The Beatles
I really like when she's at the piano. She's so good when she sings so softly. When she doesn't overdo that quirky, indescribable thing with her voice, she's incredible. It often borderlines too much. If she can keep that reined in, she will go far. She changed it up a little and did a little bit of the song more upbeat, which shows just how versatile she is.
My Score: A-

Qaasim Middleton - "Sir Duke" by Stevie Wonder
His audition was incredible. I remember wondering if he was a joke or if he was serious. Now knowing him, he was totally serious....but was bringing the funny! He started out really subdued...but just wait for it...there it is...there goes his leg! He threw in some beat-boxing which was really cool. And then he hit this ridiculous note! He always has so much fun, and I love watching him. He is always one that I look forward to. Are his vocals always spot-on? Um...no...but it is so fun and entertaining. At this point, you have to be remembered, and he certainly is. I know the vocals are there, and when he needs to really be perfect vocally, I know he will be. He is the complete opposite of Rayvon. I'll take Qaasim any day.
My Score: B+

Clark Beckham - "It's A Man's, Man's, Man's World" by James Brown
Yes! I was getting worried about my Clark! This was such a great audition, but he's actually gotten so much better since the audition, so I can't wait to hear him do this song now. I've never, ever liked this song, but I will listen to him sing anything. I'm going on record right now and saying that he has the best voice in the competition. He is so insanely good! I.am.in.love. Swooning right now...holy crap. That last note...I can't even! Clark, Clark, Clark...is it getting hot in here?
My Score: A+

Joey Cook - "King of Spain" by The Tallest Man on Earth
Hearing this in the audition was one time too many. And now we are forced to listen to it again. At least she didn't bring her squeezebox this time. Her voice = nails on a chalkboard. Her voice = making me want to rip off my ears to escape the pain. I'll admit that this version of the song was slightly better than her audition. I just...I just can't even handle any more of her. And I'm so annoyed with how nervous she still is, and how shocked she appears to be every time she makes it through...it's not cute anymore (was it ever cute?). Get over it and gain some confidence already.
My Score: D+

The judges' picks for Wild Cards:

Quentin Alexander - "Royals" by Lorde
I'm a little surprised he didn't get voted in. He was a no-brainer for the judges' pick. His version of "Royals" is mindblowing. This wasn't his best performance, but he's still one of the best voices in the competition. Awe, he actually got emotional at the end of his song. This clearly means so much to him. He had J. Lo in tears too!
My Score: A-

Adanna Duru - "You And I" by Lady Gaga
Her audition was really good, and I like her singing this song. She hasn't always had the best song choice, and that's prevented me from jumping on the bandwagon. She rocked this one out. There were a couple of sketchy notes as she really tried to force it too much. Overall, it was a pretty solid performance.
My Score: B+

Based on the 5 people left, I'm not surprised at all that Adanna was the last judges' pick. I would have said either her, Mark or possibly Adam. I'm so glad Loren didn't make it. And there was no way it was going to be Alexis, especially after last week.

Going Home: Adam Ezegelian, Mark Andrew, Alexis Gomez, Loren Lott


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: