Monday, March 31, 2014

The Voice, Ep. 6.11

Battle Rounds, Round 2

Chris Martin from Coldplay will be mentoring all of the pairings. In this round, 2 people will sing together again, just like the last round. This time, however, the pairings are a surprise to the singers, and they must decide on their song together.

The coaches will also be able to steal 1 singer in this round.

Team Adam

Sam vs. Christina - OneRepublic "Counting Stars"
One of my favorite songs...can they do it justice? I'm not sure. Sam started out very haunting, and that was matched by Christina. I didn't really care for what Sam did with her first verse. It was too low, and I just didn't like the way she was singing the words. I like their harmonies, really beautiful. Right now, I'm digging Christina's take on the song and not Sam's. Sam sounds like she's trying to force it too much to match Christina and it's coming off as too shouty in some places. Christina was just amazing. I sure hope she wins. Sam's a bit too quirky and I think she needs to tone down the weird over-pronouncing of the words (not sure what else to call it). Shakira said it perfectly, by saying that she hadn't really found herself yet, and that was kind of what I was thinking.
WINNER: Christina

Delvin vs. Josh - Stevie Wonder "Signed, Sealed, Delivered"
I really like this match-up. Not one of my favorite songs, but they rocked it out. Delvin is just freakin' amazing. He's flawless. Josh comes in as the underdog I think, but he held his own, in a more subdued way. He isn't as big vocally, or physically, as Delvin is, so you might count him out, but he's strong in his own way. He hit some really crazy high notes. Delvin went from the basement to the rafters with his range, and the screams were right on. Screams are risky, and he nailed them perfectly without going way over the top. Tough choice, but I would go with Delvin.
WINNER: Delvin
USHER STEAL: Josh

Team Blake

Audra vs. Megan - Miley Cyrus "The Climb"
Audra started out strong. I think her first verse was more believable than Megan's. Megan got into at the start of the chorus. I thought I was going to like Megan better, but I actually ended up liking Audra better. She had a killer note right before the last chorus. Audra had way more big moments than Megan did, and Megan is the rocker...she should have really rocked it out. Instead, it was the little country girl who rocked it harder I think.
WINNER: Audra


Tess vs. Jake - John Hiatt "Have a Little Faith in Me"
I sure hope Tess wins this one, because I have never been a fan of Jake. I don't think his voice is that great. Tess has such a clear and strong voice. She sounded great on this song. They actually sounded pretty good together, surprisingly, since he has such a country twang, and she's more pop sounding. I think Jake sounded better than he has in the past. I think maybe he needs to stick to this kind of song. He actually showed some power that we haven't seen from him in the past. Their last bit of harmony at the end was really beautiful! I'm impressed.
WINNER: Jake
SHAKIRA STEAL: Tess (Shakira, Adam and Usher ALL pushed their buttons to steal, and she chose Shakira; originally, she was on Team Usher and Blake had stolen in the last round)

Team Shakira

Josh vs. Patrick - Bryan Adams "Run to You"
Interesting match-up, as they were both on Team Adam before being stolen by Shakira. I am NOT a fan of Patrick, and I was so bummed that Shakira stole him. I just don't care for his voice and he had so many pitch issues. Josh on the other hand is the opposite...he's really strong, with a little bit of grit. Whereas Patrick has too much grit at some times. I like their song choice, and I think they should both sound pretty good with it. Unfortunately, I think Josh is the underdog because Shakira seems so obsessed with Patrick's voice. I think Josh owned the song, even though Patrick did very well. He controlled his rasp this time around and he sounded a lot more polished than he did in his last couple of performances. He had a pretty big moment with a big note, but Josh countered it very nicely with a very strong last chorus, and a great range that we didn't know he had.
WINNER: Patrick

Team Usher

T.J. vs. Cierra - Oleta Adams "Get Here"
I absolutely detest their song choice. It's on my all-time hate list. Congratulations....I'm not going to like this performance. I think their voices are very suited to each other. T.J.'s voice was more powerful than I remembered, and Cierra was a little more mellow and more controlled than her previous performances. I think Usher's choice will come down to just personal preference, because they were both so evenly matched. Neither one was off-key; both were equally good. Their last note in harmony was really good.
WINNER: T.J.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: