Wednesday, March 26, 2014

American Idol, Ep. 13.22 & 13.23

Top 9, Theme: "With the Band" (they will be singing as the frontperson of a band, and the band will be performing with them on the stage)

Alex
No Doubt's "Don't Speak" (can't wait to hear this!)
He gave it a little bit of a reggae vibe...interesting! Never heard the song done that way. It was kind of cool! His voice is awesome as always. And again, I love his originality and his risk taking. It totally sets him apart from the rest of the contestants. The more of the song I hear, the more I'm thinking that his voice has never sounded so crisp and clear. He did some really nice inflections and high notes at the end, and that last run he did was so original! LOVED IT!
My Score: 10

Majesty
Florence and the Machine's "Shake it Out" (hate this song by the way)
She chose an interesting instrument for this one: the tambourine. Not sure that it really added anything to the song. I think this song was way bigger than she was. She started out OK, but it seemed the longer it went, the shakier it got. I actually liked the beginning of the song. But then she tried to move and dance around a lot, but just behind the microphone, which was a little strange. OK, and the look of her best friends face in the audience just said everything: she was just sitting there, and she wasn't smiling or anything. I didn't really care for that, and it's not just because I don't like the song. Just like with the Frozen song, when she moved around, she lost it vocally. I think this will definitely put her in the bottom again. If last week's awesome performance wasn't good enough to get her out of the bottom...this definitely won't.
My Score: 5

Dexter
Little Big Town's "Boondocks"
This should be a pretty good song for him. At least it won't be as boring as his last couple songs. One thing's for sure...it will still sound almost exactly like the original. Come on Dexter...listen to the judges' critiques and do something unexpected! This was his best performance in about 3 weeks, but it still wasn't that great. He just doesn't stand out for anything special. And again...Harry called him out for not making the song his own...when will he learn? I don't think he has it in him to add any originality. He can sing karoke, but apparently, he's not able to add anything musically. Also making the point that he's boring...a giant gummy bear took up much of the judges' critique time...until Keith also calls him out to do something original.
My Score: 7

Malaya
The Beatles' "The Long and Winding Road"
I didn't care for this song at all, but she is really coming into her own. Her voice is maturing, and she's learning how to control her voice and not scream or go over the top. She had some really great, big notes, that were really amazing.
My Score: 8

Sam
Plain White T's' "Hey There Delilah" (love this song!)
I like the intimate vibe with the lights on stage, that was cool. I think he sounded great. I wish he would have made it just a little more upbeat and fun...it kind of seemed to drag at some spots. He still looks pretty uncomfortable on stage while he's playing and singing. I wish he would smile more. Regardless, it was still a great performance.
My Score: 8

Jessica
Fleetwood Mac's "Rhiannon"
Wow, she really does sound like Stevie Nicks. I feel like I say it every week, but she totally transforms her voice to fit the style, genre and even the original singer of the song. It's really amazing. She sounded great again tonight.
My Score: 9

C.J.
The SteelDrivers' "If it Hadn't Been for Love"
I think this might be C.J.'s best performance. It was fun and upbeat. But...it was still badly out of tune in some places. At least in this performance, as compared to last week's complete train wreck, it wasn't as painful to listen to and it didn't ruin the song. It could have been better, but there were a lot of good things about it.
My Score: 7

Caleb
Led Zeppelin's "Dazed and Confused"
His rock voice was out in dominant force on this song. I didn't love the song, even though it was a perfect song for him. He definitely rocked it out! He might be the first true rocker the show has ever had. Another great performance, and he continues to be the most consistent singer on the show, as well as one of the best vocalists.
My Score: 9

Jena
Evanescence's "Bring Me To Life" (one of my favorite songs, I think she might do really well with this)
I think this is probably her best performance. I know everyone raved over last week's performance, but I didn't think it was that great. This on the other hand was killer! I think she performed it really well and gave it the rock edge that it needed to have. She had some great, notes. I thought maybe the song would overpower her, but she was in control and matched the intensity of the band and the theatrics. Awesome!
My Score: 10

My Bottom 3: Majesty, C.J., Dexter
Most Likely will be the Bottom 3: Majesty, C.J., Dexter
My Pick to Go Home: Dexter
Most Likely will Go Home: Dexter


The Results:

Bottom 3: C.J., Majesty, Sam
What? No Dexter?! I'm screwed again! I stuck with my gut and kept Dexter going home instead of Majesty...even though part of me was saying it could be Majesty. I just can't win! And I thought there was a possibility that Sam might be in the bottom 3, but I thought it was a pretty slight chance...wrong!

Going Home: Majesty
I can't believe I blew it again! On the plus side, 2 of the other 3 people in my bracket had Majesty winning it all. I am now the only person who's pick to win it all (Caleb) is still in the competition and I can earn 10 big bonus points at the end if he wins! Fingers crossed, because it looks like I'm going to need it!


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: