Thursday, March 13, 2014

American Idol, Ep. 13.18 & 13.19

Top 11, Theme: Music from the Movies

Sam
Beatles "Come Together" from Across The Universe
No guitar for Sam this week. It's nice to hear him sing something a little more upbeat this week. He also moved around the stage more this week, which was nice to see. His voice sounded great, but unfortunately, it was a little boring for me. I'm not a huge fan of this song, and this song has been done SO MANY times. He really didn't add anything new to the song.
My Score: 7

Jessica
"Sound of Silence" from the Graduate
I don't know this song, but I'm really liking her performance. Her voice sounds amazing tonight! Yet again, another side to Jessica. Her voice had a completely different tone on this song. It's just amazing what a chameleon she is. Her voice just adapts to whatever genre she's singing. I loved this performance! My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough!
My Score: 9

C.J.
"Can't You See" from Blow
Oh no, the terrible hat is back. I hate that hat! But I love his performance!He looked like he was having a lot of fun, and he looked more comfortable than he normally does. It was a really good performance, but it didn't stand out as "awesome" to me. I'm a little surprised he got a standing ovation.
My Score: 8

Dexter
"Sweet Home Alabama" from Forrest Gump (and Sweet Home Alabama)
This is a song right up his alley. Pretty predictable, but you can't fault the guy for knowing what he can sing well. The downside is that this song has been done so many times. There are so many covers, and it's been done a lot on Idol, too. He did absolutely nothing original with the song, which could have made it a more standout performance. As good as this was, I'm still waiting for him to do something outside of his comfort zone, and take something you wouldn't think of him singing and do it in a new way.
My Score: 7

Ben
"Bennie and the Jets" from 27 Dresses
I love that he made a joke about never seeing the movie. Ooh, he's playing the piano! That's a new one for him. He changed up his look too, going for a more professional look, and losing the ball cap. He showed so much more personality than he has on any other song. All of those things going for him, and his voice has never sounded better. He nailed all those high falsetto notes like they were nothing. My favorite performance of his so far!
My Score: 9

Majesty

"Let It Go" from Frozen
She started out way to low, and you could barely even hear her words. I don't know what everyone's fascination with this song is...I don't think it's that great. Majesty loved this song, but I have to say, I don't think she sang it that great. Her high notes weren't great, she sounded out of breath as she moved around the stage. Her high notes wavered. This is so unlike her. She's normally one of my favorites, but I did not care for this performance at all.
My Score: 4

Caleb
"Skyfall" from Skyfall
I can't wait to hear this, I think he's going to do amazing on this song, even though it's not a song you would immediately think of. I'm glad to see him taking a risk. He listened to the judges and is doing something not predictable. I love that he's showing off a soft, subdued side. And boy he built it up at the end, just like I was hoping he would. He showed range, and a lot of dimensions in his voice. LOVED IT!!!!! Absolutely perfect...he couldn't have done it any better!
My Score: 10

MK
"To Make Me Feel Your Love" from Hope Floats
What the heck is she wearing tonight?Yikes! She still looks so totally uncomfortable on stage and it's so off-putting. It's like every little move she makes is so choreographed. And it was just hand movements because she was sitting on a stool for most of the performance. I don't think she will ever really be able to connect with the audience. I have to say she did better than some of her previous performances, and I didn't know if she would be able to hit the high notes. Unfortunately, she did, giving herself a chance of staying. Darn it! We are NEVER going to be rid of her. Kind of a bum note at the end, but no one is going to remember that.
My Score: 6

Alex
"Falling Slowly" from Once
Another song that's been done a few too many times, but somehow he sounded a little different doing it. He changed just a few notes and it sounded different than all the other versions we're used to. He sounded amazing, and I think he's growing more confident each week. His voice was so strong and clear at the end, it was beautiful! I like this performance a lot.
My Score: 9

Jena
"Decode" by Paramore from Twilight
I love this song! I love that she's at the piano tonight. This is when she's at her best. She really belted it out, but I think the song was too big for her. The background kind of drowned her out. She really killed that poor piano! I wanted to love this, but it was just OK for me. I don't know, I think she overdid what her capabilities were, but it still wasn't big enough...if that makes any sense. Something was a little lacking, which seems odd to say because she seemed to be going full out.
My Score: 7

Malaya
"I'm Changing" from Dreamgirls
She has straight hair, so we're going to probably get the "normal" Malaya, and not the wild and crazy Malaya. Awful song choice...YUCK! This is not my style of music at all, so it was hard for me to like it. There was a lot of screaming going on, more so than singing in my opinion. She definitely has a big voice, and hit a huge note at the end that was very powerful.
My Score: 6

My Bottom 3: MK, Dexter, Majesty
Most Likely will be the Bottom 3: MK, Malaya, Ben
My Pick to Go Home: MK
Most Likely will Go Home: MK



The Results

Bottom 3: Majesty, Ben, Sam

Going Home: Ben

Wow, I have no words for how I royally screwed up my bracket with my picks this week! Again, I was this close to putting people in the bottom, but had faith that they still had enough viewer support. I just didn't see how Majesty could be in the bottom, even though her performance was terrible. And Sam?! I almost put him at the bottom as well, but I thought he had the fan base. I knew it wasn't good when all 3 of the bottom 3 I picked were all in the middle group to hear the results. I was really hoping for a good night to give me a boost in the bracket. Yeah...that didn't happen. I went from 1 point behind to now a whopping 6 points behind! That's going to be tough to make up. Wish me better luck for next week!


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: