Wednesday, March 5, 2014

American Idol, Ep. 13.16 & 13.17

Top 12, Theme: Home

Jena
"Suddenly I See" by K.T. Tunstall
This is such a fun song, and I think she performed it very well. There were a couple times at the beginning that it sounded like her voice faded in and out, but other than that, she was strong, and her notes were right on pitch. I liked it! I think it's one of her better performances.
My Score: 9

Alex
"I Don't Want To Be" by Gavin DeGraw
Love Gavin DeGraw! And this is a perfect choice for him to do. He actually sounded a little like Gavin in parts of the songs. I'm finding out that Alex is a chameleon. He can sound like every singer he's doing. Last week he was Jason Mraz and this week he was Gavin DeGraw. I think he's so talented, and he's growing every week. I loved this performance, I think he did an amazing job with a song that a lot of people don't do justice. I loved the vibe he had, it was so cool and funky. I really, really loved this! I don't know what the judges were thinking with their critique on this one.
My Score: 10

Jessica
"White Flag" by Dido
This is such a great song, one of my favorite Dido songs. Jessica really picks songs from all over the spectrum, doesn't she?! One week, she's as country as you can get, last week she did a big rock song, and now she's doing pop. I love that she's so versatile. She sounds great singing each style. Her voice sounded so different on this song because I'm so used to the original. But, I dug it. I think she had a pretty good performance. It might not have been my favorite (last week was my favorite), but this was still really good. I love that she hit the high note. I don't think we've heard her even attempt a note that high before. There was just something tiny that didn't sound quite right, and the judges pointed that out.
My Score: 8

Dexter
"Lucky Man" by Montgomery Gentry
This week was a much better performance for him than last week. Vocally it was good, and his performance was pretty good too. I didn't love it, just because I don't know the song, and it's country. Sorry. There wasn't really anything that stood out about it, it was just good.
My Score: 7

Emily
"Let's Get Loud" by Jennifer Lopez
I didn't know if she would be able to pull off this loud and fast party anthem, but she totally sold it! It was really fun, and she had a great stage presence throughout. Her pitch didn't suffer too much with all the moving she did moving around the stage. I liked hearing her throw in some of the Spanish. She had a really big moment at the end with some power and she nailed the big, high notes.
My Score: 8

Caleb
"Working Man" by Rush
I don't think Caleb can have a bad performance. I didn't know this song, so I didn't connect to it as much as some of his other performances. Still, he's a true performer. He knows who he is and what he does well, and just goes out there and does it. I would like to see him make some more interesting choices, and take some well known songs and change them up and surprise us. I feel like he's pretty predictable. Except for that ending where he fell down...that was kind of surprising. Oh my...as I'm typing this, Harry just said he was predictable!
My Score: 8


MK
"Drops of Jupiter" by Train
This is an interesting choice for her. This song does suit her voice pretty well. I think this is the first time she's played the guitar. It made her look less awkward on the stage. She said before she sang that she was going to put a different spin on the song. I didn't hear it...it sounded pretty much exactly the same as the original, except sung by a girl. It was 100x better than last week, but it still wasn't that impressive.
My Score: 5

C.J.
"Waiting on the World to Change" by John Mayer
Interesting song for him, glad it's not another country song. From the start his guitar playing seemed a bit off (or maybe it was the backups). Vocally, he was really good again. His voice sounds great on a song like this. I think he did a really nice job. The crowd seemed to really love the performance.
My Score: 8

Sam
"Just One" by Blind Pilot
I liked his more intimate feel by sitting on the steps really close to the audience. I think it helped him connect more. He started out really strong on this song, and he seemed more confident than sometimes. I didn't know this song, but I really liked it, and I loved his performance. One of my favorite of the night! I hope people are still loving Sam, because I want him to stick around. He's one that I always can't wait to watch.
My Score: 10

Malaya
"Take Me to the King" by Tamela Mann
It's nice to see that she listened to the judges and she took a chill pill. She toned it down and sang a slow, deep song. It was absolutely beautiful. This is where she belongs, behind the piano, singing slower ballads. She really brought us to church at the end. She really went all out, and her last bi note was a BIG one. I had a feeling when I saw her straight hair, we were going to see a more serious side to her. She was very controlled. She tends to sing wild, loud and crazy when her hair is big, wild and crazy. It seems that her hair tells us which Malaya we're going to get.
My Score: 9

Ben
"Turning Home" by David Nail
His voice has never sounded better than he sounded on this song. This is another side of Ben we haven't really seen yet. It was a really cool performance, and man was he feelin' it! I didn't know this song, but I still enjoyed his performance a lot. I agree with Harry, it was a little bit too shouty. I also think he should have shown a range of dimension in the song by starting out a little more softly, and then grow toward the end.
My Score: 8

Majesty Rose
"Fix You" by Coldplay
LOVE this song! I loved her audition song of "Violet Hill" by Coldplay, so I'm really looking forward to this performance. Her voice sounded so beautiful on this song. She always sounds great, but tonight she was so confident and controlled and her voice was so smooth. I loved the breakdown in the middle, but she lost a little bit of her control and her voice wavered a bit. That was kind of disappointing...if it wasn't for that, it would have been a perfect performance. I agree with the judges, she should have stayed quiet, because she was killing it!
My Score: 8

My Bottom 3: MK, Dexter, Emily
Most Likely will be the Bottom 3: MK, Jessica, Emily
My Pick to Go Home: MK
Most Likely will Go Home: MK


The Results

Bottom 3: Emily, Jena, MK

Going Home: Emily

Ugh! So disgusted...it should have been MK. She is not progressing, and I agree with Harry...I don't think she really wants to be there. She is just not anywhere near as good as any of the other singers, and her personality is just not likable. She acts like she doesn't really care, and watching her sing is just uncomfortable. Emily deserved to stick around longer than this.



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: