Wednesday, March 19, 2014

American Idol, Ep. 13.20 & 13.21

Top 10, Theme: Top of the Charts (any song in the top 10 from 2011 til now)

Lots of talk about song choice this week and how important it is (um duh!). Poor Ben Briley found that out the hard way last week. As did Majesty and Sam, who all ended up

MK
Pink's "Perfect"
Whoa, look at her hair this week! Another smart song choice for her (finally). Oh, how strange...they just TOTALLY copied the looking in the mirror thing that Michelle Chamuel did on The Voice, where they start out with the camera really close and then they pull away and show it's actually her in the mirror looking at herself. Her vocal was OK, but I wasn't blown away. At least it was an appropriate song, and it suited her style and vocal range. There were a few notes toward the end that were kind of bad and she had some awkward timing, but she ended on a good note. I love that J. Lo called her out for turning around and not facing the audience when she messed up. I love that Harry pointed out that he didn't know what kind of a show she would put on with songs that didn't sound like the original. He said this sounded like she was singing over top of the Pink version. Go Harry! Right on!
My Score: 5

Dexter
Florida Georgia Line "Cruise"
Ugh, I hate this song! It actually sounds a little better when he sings it. It's nice to see him lose the guitar and dress up a little bit. This showed a slightly different side of him...although it was still very country. I think it was good, but really is nothing different than you would hear on country radio. That's my complaint about most of country music: it all sounds the same and just about all sound the same. Boring! Again, way to go Harry! He called Dexter out for not doing anything different with the song and not being bigger than the song. What's also funny is that as harsh as "Harsh Harry" was being in saying that it wasn't a good performance, this would normally be when the crowd boos. J. Lo. booed loudly, and it still only drew a few slight boos from the crowd...apparently they all agree! There was even some clapping and cheering. That almost NEVER happens. Was Dexter so boring that no one was even paying attention to the critiques?
My Score: 7

Jena
Zedd's "Clarity"
This should be a pretty good song choice for her. But boy was I wrong! Yikes, that was awful! It was way too low for her in some spots. Then she was moving around and she was losing her breath and her notes were cracking all over the place. There wasn't anything about that that was good. How did Harry not jump all over her? He actually thought it was good. Sorry Harry...have to disagree with you on this one. And Keith said it was the best performance of the night? Well, from what we've seen, that still isn't saying much, but...um...no. I sure hope the judges go back and listen to this again, because they are all so wrong! I listened to it a 2nd time, and it actually wasn't too bad at the beginning, but at the end, it really wasn't good.
My Score: 5

Alex
One Direction's "The Story of My Life"
I love this song, and I can't wait to hear him sing it. That's one thing I love about Alex: I'm always excited to see what he's going to sing and how he's going to do it. I think he did a great version of this song. It could have been a little faster at the beginning, because I liked it a lot better when he got to the chorus and it picked up pace a little bit. I like all the little inflections he did with his voice. It added some character to the song that isn't in the original. Again, as the chameleon he is, he totally morphed into One Direction. I don't know how he can sound like so many different people! That's how it's done people. Some of the other contestants (Dexter) could learn a lot by taking some advice from Alex. Great performance! Biggest applause of the night.
My Score: 9

Malaya
Bruno Mars's "When I Was Your Man"
I love this song! She is truly growing every week. This was a very beautiful performance. It was borderline over the top in a couple places, but she really restrained herself nicely. The high notes at the end were really amazing. I'm starting to become a fan. If she keeps singing like this, she's going to make it to the end. Nicely done Malaya! Keith pointed out her control and how weeks ago, she would have have gotten really carried away.
My Score: 9

Caleb
Lady Gaga's "Edge of Glory"
First Adelle, now Lady Gaga. This is going to be amazeballs! He's finally branching out creatively these last 2 weeks, and he's stepped up his game and he's putting himself at the top of the pack. His vocals are always spot on, and his pitch is always great. I think he could have even taken it bigger, but it was still completely awesome. His range is incredible. And he has that amazing talent of being able to belt out a song with such force and yet he's SINGING it and not SCREAMING it. There IS a difference! I agree with Keith that it sounded like the song was lagging behind a little bit.
My Score: 9

C.J.
Hunter Hayes's "Invisible"
C.J. is really starting to bore me. I loved him so much in the auditions, but I'm just not excited to see him sing every week for some reason. He was better last week, but this week was a real snoozefest. I don't think he had the greatest vocal this week. I don't think the song suited his voice. He tried to lose the rasp and sing it a little more cleanly, and it just didn't really work. He sounded like he was really struggling with the notes. I don't think that one note was in tune. The judges have told him he sings out of tune, but I've never really noticed it until this song. I love that Harry cares so much about the contestants that he takes the time to really explain things they need to work on. (Funny side note: I like to read blogs about the performances right after the show to help me with my bracket picks. The TV Guide recap also called this a "snoozefest"! Whoa!)
My Score: 4

Jessica
Foster the People's "Pumped up Kicks"
Again, another really cool song choice! She is so versatile! I never imagined that she would even attempt to sing such different songs. She's another one that I'm always excited to see what she's going to do. She keeps it interesting! This had a really cool vibe. She added a little bit of country to it, and it kind of worked! I wasn't so sure at the beginning, but I really liked it. So much was made about the lyrics of the song. Hello...it's just a song, and Jessica didn't write it!
My Score: 8

Majesty
Avicii's "Wake Me Up"
MUCH better song choice than last week. The Majesty we fell in love with is back! This was a bazillion times better than last week's complete debacle. I love that she went back to the guitar...that's where she really shines. Everything in this performance was perfect. Her vocals were back and it was just so good! I think it was my favorite performance of the night.
My Score: 10

Sam
Fun.'s "We Are Young"
I like this song for him. I think this is going to be really good. I think the song was a little too big for him. He did a really good job though. It was a little bit too slow at the beginning, but once he got to the chorus, it got better. I like the note choices he made to change the song up a little bit.
My Score: 7

My Bottom 3: MK, C.J., Dexter
Most Likely will be the Bottom 3: MK, C.J., Dexter
My Pick to Go Home: MK
Most Likely will Go Home: MK


The Results

Bottom 3: Dexter, Majesty, MK
What the, what?! How the heck is Majesty in the bottom 3? She totally redeemed herself last night and there were others that were so bad! Ugh!

Going Home: MK

Oh my gosh...what drama! She says she thinks she's going to cry and then she asks for a minute to talk to the band. She has to ask what the first line of the song is. You've got to be kidding me! I can't even begin to tell you how upset I would be if they saved her. I have to say, the song she picked was her best performance of the competition and she did it well again. If she had sung like that last night, she probably wouldn't be going home. I can't believe the judges are taking so long. They have to know they have to keep the save for someone who is truly deserving. Whew! That was close!


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: