Monday, October 13, 2014

The Voice, Ep. 7.6

The Blind Auditions are done, and the teams are set. It's now time for the Battle Round, where the coaches to pair up singers to go head-to-head. They will then pick a winner who will move on, and the other will go home. UNLESS another coach chooses to steal them. Let the Battles begin!

This round, each coach has the help of an advisor:
Adam's advisor: Stevie Nicks
Blakes advisors: Little Big Town
Gwen's advisor: Gavin Rossdale (her husband)
Pharrell's advisor: Alicia Keyes

Team Adam
Chris Jamison vs Jonathan Wyndham: “Young Girls” by Bruno Mars
I like both of these guys, so this is going to be a tough one for me because I don't want either one to go. Can these 2 please be a duo? Their voices are so good together! I love each of them separately as well. I think I'm more intrigued by Chris if I had to pick. This one is so tough, because they are so evenly matched. I think if anything set them apart, I think Jonathan wavered a little bit when they were doing their "Oooh"s at the end. I think Chris was just a little bit stronger and more confident. I also think that he seemed more natural and comfortable on stage.
Winner: Chris

Team Blake
Craig Wayne Boyd vs James David Carter: “Wave on Wave” by Pat Green
At first I thought these 2 might be a little different, but they actually have a lot of similarities. One of those being that they each go by 3 names. Both of them have amazing voices, but I have to admit that I was a little bit bored with this performance. Maybe it's because it's Country. Maybe it's because I don't know the song. I'm not sure what it was, but I just wasn't blown away. They are very evenly matched, and I really don't know which way Blake will go. I think James could be a little more versatile, but that's the only thing I can think of to distinguish the 2.
Winner: James
Steal: Gwen (I thought she might because I thought she liked his audition and she said she wanted a Country artist.)

Team Gwen

Jean Kelley vs Sugar Joans: “Survivor” by Destiny’s Child
This is a great battle song. I think their voices are going to be perfect for this song. I love Jean's voice on this song so much better than her audition song. They both bring so much power to this song, which is what it calls for. Their timing was perfect, which is so hard to do on this song because there's so many words that run together really fast. If you don't have the timing down, it just doesn't sound good, and they both totally nailed it. I honestly don't know which one did better. You couldn't get a more perfect and even matchup. I loved the way they performed together and how they interacted. I loved this performance...almost better than Destiny's Child! I have no idea who is going to win this one, honestly. I could see a steal on this one.
Winner: Sugar
Steal: Adam and Pharrell push to steal, and she chose Pharrell

Amanda Lee Peers vs Taylor John Williams: “Jolene” by Dolly Parton
I like both of them, but they are very different. This should be an interesting matchup, and a very interesting song choice. I happen to love this song. Without hearing them sing, I can tell that it will be a perfect song for Amanda, so it will be interesting to see what Taylor does with the song. I can't believe how good they sound together! Their a capella harmony at the beginning was so haunting, and it was awesome! I think Amanda is giving more from an emotional standpoint, but there's something haunting about Taylor's quieter performance. I really like both of them! I think I'm more intrigued with Taylor and I'd love to see him perform more. I especially loved the one little note variance he did at the end, that was so unexpected! Great performance! There could be a steal on this one if Taylor isn't picked. I'm not sure that anyone will steal if it's Amanda who doesn't get picked.
Winner: Taylor

Team Pharrell
Elyjuh Rene vs Maiya Sykes: “If I Aint Got You” by Alicia Keys
For me, they are both way too over the top. Their voices blend really well together. Obviously they are both really good singers, but if I had to choose, I'd go with Elyjuh just because he isn't as over the top with all the runs. My guess is that Pharrell will choose Maiya, because she's so powerful and has more experience. Either way, we could see a steal.
Winner: Elyjuh

Griffin vs Luke Wade: “Maybe I’m Amazed” by Paul McCartney
This is going to be a tough one. I like both of these guys a lot. Yet another very evenly matched duo. Hopefully there will be a steal. Luke was really feeling it on his first solo verse. He got control of the little breaks in his voice, and it was used very tastefully. Then Griffin comes in, and he's got such a smooth tone and it's just beautiful! And that falsetto! Holy crap! Notes only dogs can hear! It was high, and for some people it might have sounded strained and more like screaming. But, he absolutely nailed it.They started really having fun and they just went crazy with this song! It was so good! How do you choose? The answer is, you can't...you just can't! Seriously...both of them NEED to be in this competition. And Pharrell: how dare you put them against each other! If I had to pick, I'd say I like Griffin's voice just a teensy weensy bit more...but it sure isn't much.
Winner: Luke
Steal: Blake and Gwen push to steal, and he chose Blake (Thank you Blake! I was screaming at Blake to push his button! He had really great things to say about him.)


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: