Monday, April 21, 2014

The Voice, Ep. 6.17 & 6.18

A note before we get into the first live show:
Rather than make a specific post for this, I just thought I would pass along the 2 new confirmed coaches for next season, who will be joining Adam and Blake. CeeLo said after last season that he wouldn't be returning any time in the near future, and it was unclear if Christina would be coming back. Well, it's confirmed that Pharrell will be taking CeeLo's place, and Gwen Stefani will be taking Christina's place.

Now, onto the Live Shows!

Bria (Team Usher)
Adele - "Rolling in the Deep"
I love the rock edge that she accentuated in this song. It suits her voice and her style perfectly. I wish she would tone down the "wobble" vibrato just a little bit. She tends to do it a little too much for my liking. Other than that, it was a great performance. She really added her own spin to the ending, and it was definitely not karaoke, that's for sure. I really liked it!
My Score: 9

Delvin (Team Adam)
The Righteous Brothers - "Unchained Melody"
For an old song (which I'm usually never a fan of), I have always liked this one. Delvin has the chops to tackle this one and hit those amazing high notes. His voice transcends time and space. When he hit that high note...wow...just...wow. That was ridiculous and unhuman. It was a beautiful performance.
My Score: 8

Dani (Team Shakira)
Pink - "Just Give Me a Reason"
I think Dani might just be a dark horse in this competition. She has been gaining speed with every performance, the last couple of weeks. Last week was incredible. I kind of wish she would have done it on the piano like her last performance, but I get it that she can't do the same thing every week. Unfortunately, there were a few pitchy notes. But that big note, was huge! I wish she would have held it as long as she did in the rehearsal.
My Score: 8

Audra (Team Blake)
Juice Newton - "Angel of the Morning"
Her country version of this song didn't sound a whole lot like the original until it got to the chorus. I like the little inflections she does with her voice at the ends of words. But she needs to be careful to not do it too much. I think she gave a great performance. There might have been a few pitchy notes, but overall, it was really strong. The whole performance was a little boring for me though.
My Score: 7

T.J. (Team Usher)
John Mayer - "Waiting on the World to Change"
I'm so glad he's doing something modern this week! As good as he is, I'm finding that I just don't care for his style. I think that's what's keeping me from really liking his performances. I was really hoping I would like this because it's a great song, and it's more modern, and more pop than R&B. But with his style put into it, I just really didn't care for it. It was OK, and his voice sounded great, but I wasn't blown away.
My Score: 7

Christina (Team Adam)
Katy Perry - "Dark Horse"
I am not a fan of this song, but I think she sounds great. I think I like her version better than the original. I like the darkness she brought to the song. She really rocked it out at the end. Her voice is ridiculous on those high notes!
My Score: 9

Sissaundra (Team Blake)

Elton John - "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me"
This is an interesting song choice for her. It's nice to see her branch out and not do the predictable diva songs. She showed a lot of restraint on this song, which was really great to see. She normally starts out on volume 11 and only goes up from there. It was refreshing to see her start out softly. Personally, I think this was her best performance, and the one that I enjoyed the most. (I know what I'm talking about because I totally typed that before Adam pretty much said the same thing verbatim...I love when that happens.)
My Score: 9

Kristen (Team Shakira)
Sugarland - "Stay"
If I was just listening to her, I would probably like her. The problem is, the visual not matching the vocal. I know that's bad to say. As far as country singers go, I would say she's mediocre. I've heard a lot better. What a bummer for her, as she is singing at the end, but we hear nothing because her mic went out. For the last note, someone rushed up a new mic to her. Mic problem aside, I still wasn't impressed.
My Score: 7

Kat (Team Adam)
Heart - "Magic Man"
She totally sounds like Heart! This song is perfect for her in every way. She sounds great as always. She is one of my favorites in this competition. She is so consistent. She killed that performance!
My Score: 10

Jake (Team Blake)
Travis Tritt - "Any More"
He must be really nervous, because his pitch is all over the place. I've never been a fan of his, and this didn't help much with that. I don't hear anything special about his voice. He sounds just like every other male country singer out there. He had a nice moment with a high note, and the end was pretty good. Overall, not impressed at all.
My Score: 6

Tess (Team Shakira)
Bon Jovi - "I'll Be There For You"
Very interesting song choice, but I think she's going to nail it. She sang with so much intensity. Her voice cut like a knife. I didn't love the arrangement of the song, that much, but she sang it like a rockstar.
My Score: 8

Josh (Team Usher)
Sam Smith - "Stay With Me"
Josh is another one of my favorites. I'm glad that Usher is trying to modernize him. That will only make him better. He sounded amazing. This was a perfect song choice. I love the range he has. His falsetto is so smooth, and he transitions in and out of it so effortlessly. There aren't a lot of people that can do that. Wow, that was really good, and maybe my favorite performance of his.
My Score: 10



The Results:

My 2 picks to go home: Kristen and Jake (surprising that it's 2 country artists, huh?!)
I think will be going home: T.J. and Dani

Bottom 3: T.J., Dani, Tess
Notes: all 3 of Team Adam are safe, and Shakira has 2 in jeopardy (which means at least 1 will be going, and she could potentially lose 2 from her team)

T.J. picked "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain...what a good song choice! If he would have picked that last night, he might not be singing for his life right now. He showed a lot of really good things about his voice in this song.

Dani picked "Turning Tables" by Adele. This was also a good song choice, and had she picked this last night, she too, might not be in the bottom. She showed more of what she did on the Lady Gaga song, which was a lot of raw emotion. She was also much more in pitch than last night.

Tess picked "Dark Side" by Kelly Clarkson. I can't believe that Tess is singing for her life right now! She is one of my favorites, and I don't know how America vote for her brilliance and her awesome voice. I really hope she stays! This wasn't her best performance though, unfortunately. She had a few pitch issues as she tried to force it just a little too much.

Instant Save: Tess!!!! Woohoo!!!!

Going Home: T.J. (Team Usher) and Dani (Team Shakira)


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: