Monday, April 14, 2014

The Voice, Ep. 6.15

The Playoffs continue...the remaining judges must narrow their 5 singers down to 3.

Team Shakira

Kristen
Carrie Underwood - "Two Black Cadillacs"
I am always surprised by her country voice. It's a classic case of 'voice doesn't match the body'. I do not care for her style at all, and because of the disconnect, it just always seems weird to me. She has a decent voice, but as with most country singers, you could say that most of them all sound the same. I didn't hear anything that stood out, except for a few really long notes that she held. The pitch on those notes was spot-on. I like Carrie Underwood's version so much better. It's actually a country song I like, and still I was not as blown away as all of the judges were.

Deja
Jordin Sparks - "Battlefield"
I love this song! I hope it's not too big for Deja. She has a tendency to be very meek. This is a really, really powerful song. She needs to bring it! (Side note: this is the 2nd American Idol song of the night...hmmm.) She looks so different this week with bangs...I don't think I like it. She started out really good, but she really needed to blast that chorus! Her second time on the chorus was a little better, but it still needed to be bigger. Jordin really blows the speakers on that song, and it's really hard to match. I think Deja did an OK job, but the song was just a little too big for her. It was a step in the right direction though. I think she needs to continue to do songs like this that will really push her.

Tess
Christina Perri - "Human"
This is a great song, and I think she's going to do it really well. Wow. I love how slow and softly she started the song. Then she slowly built it up to an amazing ending. I have been so impressed with Tess in every round, and she has been let go twice (and stolen twice), which just blows my mind because she is so good. I think she's one of my favorites in the competition right now. She has perfect pitch. She knows how to use her volume so well. Some people only have quiet or soft, and she can do both so well. I loved that performance. Adam pointed out all of the things that I love about her: pitch, power, control...the list just goes on, and on, and on.

Patrick
Ray LaMontagne - "Trouble"
Sadly, I don't even think Patrick would have had to sing tonight, because regardless of how well he performs, Shakira has a soft spot for him. I think he absolutely gets a spot. I'm not blown away by him. We've seen/heard guys like him on the show before. I don't think he's anything too special. He's still too inconsistent for me. When he's good, he's really good. But he still tries to hit high notes that are too far out of his reach, and it just screeches like gravel on glass, and it's really painful.

Dani
Lady Gaga - "Edge of Glory"
She sounded amazing, and her piano playing was a nice touch. Wow. Just wow. That was an absolutely amazing performance! I think I counted her out, but she brought down the house with that performance. She could not have done any better. She had so much emotion, and it added to her performance. I love how she decided to do the song. It was a great choice for her.

Shakira's Top 3: Tess, Kristen, Dani
I am SHOCKED she didn't pick Patrick! But I'm so happy! Dani absolutely deserved to get picked after her performance.

Team Adam


Delvin
Al Green - "Let's Stay Together"
Ugh! I hate this song! Whether or not I love Delvin is based solely on his song choice. I hate this song, so yuck. When he sings good songs, he's so good! Songs like this are just so blah, and I don't think it really shows what a great artist he can be. He made some interesting choices with the song that made it a little more interesting than just singing the exact same version we've all heard a bazillion times. It was still pretty boring until he had this crazy run at the end. Unfortunately, with him singing first for his team, he might easily be forgotten by the end.

Jake
Maroon 5 - "She Will Be Loved"
I love that he picked a Maroon 5 song. Such a better song for him than the Usher song last week. I love that Adam sees something special in Jake, and that they are so similar. That could mean good things for him. I think he sounded amazing on this song. It suited his voice so well, just because he does have a lot of the same qualities in his voice as Adam does. I hope it stood out enough to Adam for him to get picked because I think Jake has so much potential. He's so "green" right now because he doesn't have a lot of music and performing experience. Someone like Adam could help him tremendously. He's already so good without that experience, so it only means he is just going to keep getting better and better. I love his voice and I could listen to him sing forever!

Kat
Journey - "Open Arms"
Wow, Kat just keeps getting better and better. It was nice to see her do something with a little more heart. It was still a big, powerful, rock anthem, but she showed a different side to her and what she can do with her voice. She has something special. I love her voice. She can sing so big and loud, but she doesn't scream. That's a big deal for me. Lots of people can sing loud, but they just sing as loud as they can and it sounds like screeching and screaming and not singing. Kat is one of the rare people that actually has control of her voice on those big high notes. Well done! Loved that performance!

Morgan
Florida Georgia Line - "Stay"
I've never heard this song, and when I found out that it was sung by Florida Georgia Line I was shocked! The same group that brought us that absolutely awful song "Cruise". This song was awesome! Morgan sang the heck out of it! I'm inclined to think that he made it sound better than the original. I don't think Morgan has ever sounded better. His pitch was great and he never wavered. There is no one like him in the competition, and I would love for him to stick around. Wow, I just really loved that performance! I love that Usher admitted that what he did with him was not in his best interest, and now after hearing him sing country, even Blake became a fan. That was really cool.

Christina
Jason Mraz - "I Won't Give Up"
This will be interesting to hear a girl with a higher voice sing this song, sung by a guy with a lower voice. I'm not sure it's going to work the way she would want it to. She had some nice moments, but she also had a couple of weird notes. She sang with a lot of heart and emotion, and she definitely gave a good performance. I think she has a lot of room to grow. With as deep and talented as Adam's team is, I just don't know if it was good enough.

Adam's Top 3: Christina, Delvin, Kat
So Adam calls Christina and Delvin first, leaving Jake, Kat and Morgan and he can only take 1! I would have taken Kat, Jake and Morgan over both of Christina and Delvin. I can't believe I'm losing Jake and Morgan! 2 of my favorites! That just shows how good Adam's team was.

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: