Thursday, April 3, 2014

American Idol, Ep. 13.24 & 13.25

Top 8, theme: Audition Songs

The singers will also be paired up in duets.

Jessica
Her own song "Blue Eyed Lie"
I actually liked her original song in her audition. It sounds even better with the full band. She's so talented. She can sing absolutely any genre and sound amazing. I think she shines even more singing her own song. I think I would have liked it a little more if she wouldn't have been singing stationary on top of that big podium. I think she should have been moving around and really rocking out to it. Either way, it was still a great performance.
My Score: 8

C.J.
The Allman Brothers "Soul Shine"
From his first audition with this song, I was a fan of C.J. since then, he hasn't really lived up to my expectations of him. His pitch continues to be an issue, and I don't think he's going to get a handle on it in this competition. He's lucky that his personality on and off the stage still make him likable. Otherwise, he would have probably been voted out already. This was a good performance, but at this point in the competition, there are so many other good singers, and his talent just isn't quite up to par with the rest. That said, this was one of his better performances.
My Score: 7

Jena & Alex
Pink & Nate Ruess "Just Give Me a Reason"
I love this song, it's one of my favorites. They sound really good together and I like this arrangement of the song.

Sam
Ed Sheeran "Lego House"
I absolutely LOVE this song, and I loved his audition. At first, I wished he would have sung the faster version that he did in the audition. But, the more he sang, the more I liked it. I think his voice sounded great tonight. I think this could be his best performance yet. I'm hoping this popular song will help him get some more votes this week.
My Score: 9

Jessica & Caleb
Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty "Stop Dragging My Heart Around"
Great song for them to sing together. They sound amazing together! They even performed well off of each other and made it a really cool performance to watch. Can they sing a duet every week, please?

Malaya
Aretha Franklin "Ain't No Way"
I was a little bored with this performance until the end when she started getting into it. I really don't like the song, but she sang it well.
My Score: 7

Dexter
Brett Eldredge "One Mississippi"
So, Dexter promised that he could bring something different if he stuck around. I know he didn't have a choice with the song this week, but he could have done something different with it. He's still boring and mediocre to me. This was better than some that he's done, and it was a little "different" in that the song was more of a ballad than straight up country. But, it wasn't that different. I don't think the judges should have given him quite so much credit for bringing something different.
My Score: 7

Malaya & Sam
Colbie Caillat & Jason Mraz "Lucky"
This is the perfect song for Sam, and it's definitely something different for Malaya. I wasn't sure she would be able to pull off a pop song like this, but she rose to the occasion! They are so different vocally, but they came together beautifully. I did think that she came off a little bit too fake and bubbly, and that made her voice a little high and squeaky in a couple places, and she was pitchy in a few places as well. Overall, it was a really cute performance.

Jena
Adele "Rolling in the Deep"
I do not care for this version of the song AT ALL. I get wanting to make it different than the original. But if you're going to do that, it should at least be good! The arrangement was horrible. It felt like it was just dragging and not going anywhere. It got much better in the second half, and she nailed the big vocals at the end. Not may favorite performance of hers, but it was still decent.
My Score: 7

C.J. & Dexter
Darius Rucker "Alright"
I'm getting beyond bored with these 2. I want to still like them as much as I did at the beginning of the competition, but I just can't. They're stuck in a county rut. I like singers who make bold choices and surprise me every week. I'm never surprised or blown away by what either of these 2 sing...ever. It was a nice performance, just like you could hear at any county fair. Nothing special.

Caleb
Aretha Franklin "Chain of Fools"
Again, Caleb's bold choice shows how he separates himself from the mediocrity, that is a couple other contestants (*cough* C.J., *cough* Dexter). He sang this song, originally sung by a woman, and made it totally his own. And he owned it. His vocals were spot on, just as they are every week. And he doesn't just sing, he puts on a performance. That's what makes him fun to watch, and makes me anxious to see what he's going to be singing every week. I think my pick for him to win it all is safe for another week.
My Score: 9

Alex
His own song "Fairytales"
Alex is so frickin' talented! I can so hear this song on the radio. I loved it the first time he sang it, and this was even better! I think he just gets better every week. And every week, I love him just a little bit more. If Caleb ever gets voted off, I'm changing my pick to win to Alex!
My Score: 10

My Bottom 3: C.J., Dexter, Malaya
Most Likely will be the Bottom 3: C.J., Sam, Dexter
My Pick to Go Home: C.J.
Most Likely will Go Home: C.J.


The Results:
A LOT of people are saying that there is going to be a save tonight. My opinion is that if it is in fact C.J. going home, that the save won't be used. However, if anyone else goes home, I think it is definitely a possibility. I would hope that with all of the judges calling C.J. out for his many pitch issues, that they would see that he's had his fair chance on the show. There is absolutely no need to give him a second chance, for him to just go home next week. I sure hope I'm right about this. I like C.J., but it's time to do...he just doesn't match up to the other 7.

Bottom 3: C.J., Sam, Malaya
Arg! Again, Dexter is safe! What is up with that? I thought for sure I had him right this week. Again, I was so close to picking Malaya as my 3rd bottom 3 person along with C.J. and Sam. I'm always so close.

Going Home: Sam
Seriously?! I know I say this every week, but I was so close to picking Sam to go home. All the blogs and articles I read were so sure it was C.J. this week, so I didn't think I should go too far out on a limb...especially since Nancy was also picking C.J. If she had been right and me wrong, I would move much further down in the standings. Should have taken the risk this time.

And it's unanimous...they use the save! Sam lives to sing another week. Most likely, next week will be a double elimination.

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: