Thursday, April 24, 2014

American Idol, Ep. 13.30 & 13.31

Top 6 Theme: Country and Rock & Roll; they will each be singing 1 song from each genre

Jena
Rock Song: Heart's "Barracuda"
This is a pretty good song choice for her. She still does way too much screaming and not enough singing for me.
My Rock Score: 8

Country Song: Carrie Underwood's "So Small"
This is a nice choice. I prefer her softer, quieter songs. This song sounds so incredibly different than the original with her strange voice. I just know her fans are going to eat this up. When you know what the original sounds like, and you hear something so different, you're either really going to like it or really not like it. I just didn't really care for it that much for some reason. I think I just don't care for her voice. It's really hard for me to like her performances.
My Country Score: 8

Overall Score: 8

Sam
Rock Song: Imagine Dragon's "It's Time"
I love this song, but it's a very interesting song choice. Probably not one I would have thought for him. I don't like the backing music. I think he's so much better on his own. I think he rocked the song, and did a really good job. I always enjoy listening to his voice. The longer the song went on, the more I liked it. He really started feeling it, and it was really believable. Sometimes it seems like he's just singing the song, but on this one he was really feeling and believing what he was singing. (Whoa, J. Lo just said the same thing!)
My Rock Score: 9

Country Song: Shania Twain's "You're Still The One"
Interesting that he chose to lose the guitar on a country song. I'm not sure that was the best move. I will say that his voice actually sounded different without his guitar. You could tell he was really trying to connect with the audience since he didn't have to worry about the guitar. He even moved around and touched some of the fans' hands. The last time he did that, it actually really hurt his performance. This time it was really pretty good. I think I would have liked to have heard him sing this more softly and sweetly. He almost sang it too forcefully. Harry was right...it was all one volume. It needed to have some loud and soft.
My Country Score: 8

Overall Score: 8.5

C.J.
Rock Song: Lenny Kravitz's "American Woman"
First notes: out of pitch. Just when you think C.J. made a turnaround, he reverts back to his old self. Every time he sang "American Woman" it was flat. Some of the other parts were OK, but it made for a very uneven performance. I just don't see this as being something he would normally sing...it just doesn't really suit him in any way. It was upbeat, and everyone knows the song, so that still made it relateable.
My Rock Score: 6

Country Song: Zac Brown Band's "Where It Is"
Ouch, there were some ouchy notes. His voice fell off on the low notes, and he was barely audible. He was really feeling the song, but man, it was very hard to listen to.
My Country Score: 5

Overall Score: 5.5

Alex

Rock Song: Neon Trees's "Animal"
I love this song, and it's a little more upbeat than what we normally see from Alex. I really like him on this type of song! He absolutely killed it! It sounded so good! He was really into the music and was feeling it. Such a great performance, and so much fun to watch! He didn't do anything different to the song, but that's OK. He doesn't have to drastically change his songs every week. It was nice to just hear him sing the song the way the original sounds. And, I think this is the first time, he played an electric guitar, instead of his normal little tiny guitar. I really, really liked that! I have no idea what the judges are talking about with him being contained too much and not letting go and feeling it. I thought the opposite! I think that was the most into a song and the most energetic he's ever been.
My Rock Score: 10

Country Song: Willie Nelson's "Always On My Mind"
Only 2 words in, and it's already better than the original for me. I'm not a fan of the original at all, but Alex makes me like it. This was a completely different performance from his first one. His first one was so upbeat, and this one was slow and sweet. He does both so well. His voice sounded so good on the upper notes. I like the arrangement that he did with the song. It really suited him. I loved the runs that he did at the end of the song. I can't believe how long he held that note!
My Country Score: 9

Overall Score: 9.5

Caleb
Rock Song: Black Crowes's "Sting Me"
If anyone is going to rock, it's going to be Caleb. This isn't a song I'm familiar with, but it doesn't matter, because Caleb is awesome. The only thing to worry about Caleb is that a lot of his rock songs all sound the same. We know he can do other things, which is good, but I know this is where his heart is, and it's his go-to. And because his go-to all sounds the same, it can be a little boring and monotonous. That said, there isn't anyone who can rock the way he does. His voice is just so consistent every single time. He kills it, no matter what he's singing.
My Rock Score: 9

Country Song: Carrie Underwood's "Undo It"
I am so excited to hear him sing this! This is definitely the right kind of country song for him. Carrie rocks this song, and he totally killed it too. No surprise there. Pure perfection is what he is. Can we just make him the winner already?
My Country Score: 10

Overall Score: 9.5

Jessica
Rock Song: Jefferson Airplane's "Someone to Love"
I'm glad to see her back with her guitar again. This was a good song choice for her style and for her voice. She really rocked it out. I did notice a couple of pitch issues, but it wasn't very noticeable. I think she had a really good performance.
My Rock Score: 9

Country Song: Dolly Parton's "Jolene"
I absolutely love this song, and I'm so glad she's singing it! I love Jessica's song choices. She is so smart, like Caleb, when picking her songs. She really "rocked-up" this country song. When Dolly Parton sang it, it was kind "sweet" in a way. But, boy, Jessica sang it like a rock anthem, and she really meant what she was singing. And then she threw in some high falsetto, that I've never heard from her. That was really cool! Loved it!
My Country Score: 10

Overall Score: 9.5

My Bottom 2: C.J., Sam
Most Likely will be the Bottom 2: C.J., Alex
My Pick to Go Home: C.J.
Most Likely will Go Home: C.J.


The Results:

Bottom 2: C.J. and Jessica

Going Home: C.J.

I'm sorry C.J., but thank goodness! From the auditions, I really liked him. He was a good guy, and he had a cool voice and vibe. Unfortunately, the longer the competition went, the worse he seemed to get. His song choices were all over the place, and so was his pitch. The caliber of all the rest were just far superior to him, and he just wasn't improving. I wish him well, and he was a class act all the way. That said, it was just way past his time to go.

With that pick, I maintain my slight lead in the bracket, as 2 of the other ladies also picked him to go home.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: