Thursday, April 10, 2014

American Idol, Ep. 13.26 & 13.27

Top 8 (again), Theme: 80s

The Idols get to work with David Cook! He's one of my all-time favorite Idol alums! He is so talented and I love his music. He had some great advice for the contestants.

Jena
Joan Jett - "I Love Rock and Roll"
I like how she slowed this song down at the beginning and played the piano. I think this when she sounds her best. This is one of my favorite performances of Jena's. She didn't seem to be forcing it so much like she has on some of the rock songs she's done in the past. It was well done and she rocked the vocals. I always thinks she sounds off-pitch (even though the judges never seem to think she is), but tonight, she sound right on. So, again the judges and I disagree on Jena, because they criticized what I loved about it.
My Score: 10

Dexter
Georgia Satellites - "Keep Your Hands To Yourself"
I love that David pointed out that you can't understand the words that he's saying. It must have been the help from David this week, because Dexter was a new man! Whoa! What happened?! He sounded great, and he had energy. He moved around the stage and actually showed some personality. I am absolutely blown away! Where has this guy been all season?! This is what I've been looking for from him all season. I'm speechless, how much I actually enjoyed that!
My Score: 9

Sam & Alex
Michael Jackson - "The Girl Is Mine"
I like this duo. It was much better than both of their duo pairings last week. I hated the song, but they sounded good together. However, it sometimes sounded like they weren't singing in sync, and were kind of stepping on each other vocally. Other than that, I think they did a good job.

Malaya
Chaka Khan - "Through The Fire"
I am not crazy about this song, but I think she sang it really well. Her voice was so big and open, and we heard her do some high notes that I didn't know she could hit. It was borderline over-the-top, but not quite. She reeled it back in and kept it under control. It's definitely not my favorite performance of hers, but it still shows how much she's grown since the beginning of the competition.
My Score: 8

Caleb & Jena
Bryan Adams & Tina Turner - "It's Only Love"
Caleb sounded amazing, as usual. I didn't really care for Jena on this song. They seem like they would be a good pair, but Caleb just dominated her. I actually liked the second half of the song better than the first half. It was a pretty good performance overall.

Jessica
Blondie - "Call Me"
I think this is a great song for her. She is doing an amazing job at picking songs. I am totally distracted by the fact that her striped shirt is exactly the same stripes as the letters in her name in the background. Wow, that was weird. On to the song, I think she did a great job. David told her to make contact with the camera and the audience more, and she did that. She moved around, she showed more emotion and she looked like she was enjoying herself, which David also mentioned.
My Score: 9

Sam
Cindi Lauper - "Time After Time"
I can't wait to see how David's advice will help Sam. This was a very interesting arrangement of the song. I'm not sure I love it. His voice sounds great, and because it's such a stripped down version of the song, you can hear his voice really well. I loved when he really kicked it up another notch. I wish the whole song would have been like that. It was a good performance, and the girls who were 5 feet away from him really seemed to like it. One thing that bothered me was that you could tell he was trying to look and connect with the audience like Harry told him last week, but his eyes just kind of dart from one side to another, and it was a little distraction.
My Score: 8

C.J. & Malaya
Aretha Franklin & George Michael - "I Knew You Were Waiting"
C.J. already struggles with pitch, and you get him walking around, and it doesn't help. Malaya also doesn't do too well when she's moving around so much. This was not great. They were kind of all over the place. Individually, they weren't too bad, but their harmonies were not really clicking, with the exception of the last notes, which sounded pretty good.

Alex
The Police - "Every Breath You Take"
Great song choice again for Alex. I look forward to what he's going to do every week. I think David will really click with Alex because they are actually very similar, in that they are really good at rearranging songs and making them different. I am not crazy for the way he arranged this song though. There's never a question about his vocals though, he's always spot-on. The song is almost unrecognizable, the melody and everything is completely different than the original. I love that he takes risks and is skilled enough to even think about such different arrangements. I don't think this was the best arrangement he's come up with, but I will never fault him for making things his own, because that's what I love about him. I think I'm just so used to the original, and there wasn't really anything of the original left. He still sang it well.
My Score: 8

Dexter & Jessica
Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers - "Islands In The Stream"
Dexter started out way too low and soft, and his pitch was not good. What is up with the nice jacket, jeans and then the backwards hat? That just looks weird. Jessica sounds great, but Dexter can't harmonize with her at all. The last line of the song sounded really good. Parts in the middle seemed a little off-tempo, but it came together in the end, and wasn't a bad performance overall.

C.J.
Tom Petty - "Free Fallin'"
I love this song, and I'm anxious to hear him sing this. Finally, a song I can relate to from C.J. He tends to pick such strange, random songs I've never heard of. Right away...major pitch issues...again. Why can't he sing in tune? I don't get it. I like what he did with the song, by slowing it down, but it really exposed his lack of being in tune. It was kind of painful at times. Poor guy. How long will his fans keep him in the competition? At this point, he just needs to go. As much as I like him, and generally enjoy his performances (despite the pitch problems), he's technically the weakest singer in the competition.
My Score: 6

Caleb
Journey - "Faithfully"
Did you realize that Caleb has sang either 2nd to last or last in the last 3 shows? How'd he get so lucky to get such prime real estate? I am SO happy that Caleb listened to what the judges have been begging him for: a "ballad" and not just him rocking out. He can be whatever they want him to be, and he can sing whatever and however they want him to. I knew he had this kind of a more subdued performance in him. His voice sounded absolutely amazing (like there was any doubt). I know this is his favorite song, but it just happened to be the ABSOLUTE BEST SONG CHOICE for him this week. I am in love with this performance! I am just in awe of his greatness right now. Holy crap! I think he's destined for stardom, and I hope I'm right about him winning this season!
My Score: 10

My Bottom 3: C.J., Sam, Malaya
Most Likely will be the Bottom 3: C.J., Sam, Malaya
My Pick to Go Home: Malaya
Most Likely will Go Home: Malaya



The Results:

Bottom 2: C.J. and Malaya

Going Home: Malaya

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: