Wednesday, December 4, 2013

X Factor, Ep. 3.20

Tonight, each act will perform twice. One regular song, with the theme of "Diva", then an unplugged, stripped version of a song, where the performance will be all about the vocals.

Restless Road (Groups-Simon)

Song 1: I like their harmonies at the beginning of the song. I always like their harmony better than when they sing alone. This is shaping up to be one of their best, most solid performances yet. Ooh, and look at that! They gave the cute guy with the best voice a bigger solo! Ugh, but then deep-voice guy comes in with an even longer solo, in which, you can't understand a word he's saying because his voice is too deep. Overall, I really liked the performance, even though their energy level was a little bit low. And it's even a song I've never heard before.

Song 2: This group, out of everyone I think, could have big problems with a stripped down version of a song, because 2 of the 3 often have pitch problems. I love this song, but I like it less as a country song. Yay, another extended solo for the cute, good singer (I wish I knew who was who). I don't like that they made the song so slow. It seemed to really drag. OK, so the deep singer gets a solo, and he sang in his regular voice. And like I've said before, his regular voice is so much better than singing in the basement! Overall, it was a really good performance, and they surprisingly had very good pitch and good harmony throughout the entire song. I also liked that they showed some emotion as well.

Rion Paige (Girls-Demi)

Song 1: Her pitch is a little off, and a little on the flat side. She also struggled on the lower notes. I think we've seen about as much as we're going to from her. She doesn't seem to be growing week to week. Her mediocre performances aren't going to be enough any more. She's talented and she's beyond her years, but there are better acts in the competition.

Song 2: Like Restless Road before her, she had the judges in tears. She gave a very real and heart-felt performance. It was beautiful. There were a couple of pitch issues again, but it was still really good.

Jeff Gutt (Over 25s-Kelly)

Song 1: For his diva song, he's taking on Mariah Carey. Jeff, out of all the acts this season, continues to take risks, and his risks pay off big time! He's such a rocker, but he can also show a softer, more vulnerable side. That's what he did with this song. He started out soft and then he built it up into his signature style. It was mind-blowing and amazing. He's so good, they just need to crown him the winner already, and just not bother with the rest of the competition. He continues to be in a league all his own; the others just can't come close. He's so ready for stardom!

Song 2: I love that he's playing the guitar! Sucker for a guy and a guitar--party of 1 right here :) Another display of his vulnerable and sensitive side. He still has a little bit of that grit we all love, but it's more subdued. I didn't recognize this song, but it didn't matter, because he did an amazing job singing it! He looked so great up there with his guitar. It was a completely different look and feel for him, and I loved it just as much as I love his signature rocker style.

Ellona Santiago (Girls-Demi)


Song 1: Lady GaGa...this could be really good, or really really cheesy and bad. The song definitely started out completely different than the original. I'm not sure I like it. I'm not so sure about the risque outfit and the questionable way she was working with the microphone stand, but I guess if you're doing GaGa, it is to be expected. Her vocals were really good, despite the very interesting arrangement of the song. She worked that stage and she owned it, so good for her.

Song 2: This is a good song for her. However, as an already stripped-down song, I didn't think it was possible to slow it down any more, but she did. It was too slow for me. She sang the crap out of it, that's for sure, but it wouldn't have hurt to pick up the pace a little bit. This girl is definitely in it to win it. I finally realized who she reminds me of: Jessica Sanchez from American Idol a couple seasons ago.

Alex & Sierra (Groups-Simon)

Song 1: It has to be nerve-wracking to sing a Destiny's Child song in front of Kelly, especially singing a different version of it. Alex looks super cute tonight! I like Sierra's outfit! I like their slowed-down version of "Say My Name". I didn't think this style of song would suit them very well, but they really can make anything sound good. They rocked it out, and the crowd seemed to love it!

Song 2: Oh, I love this song...what a good choice! I like Sierra on the piano, that's something we haven't seen before. Alex's vocals were so good on this song! Their harmony was soooo good! I think this is seriously my favorite performance of theirs! I don't always love the folksy stuff, but I love what they did with this type of song!

Carlito Olivero (Boys-Paulina)

Song 1: One of my all-time favorite J. Lo songs: "Let's Get Loud"...great song choice! I love that they are sticking with the Latino songs...it's what works best for him. I love watching his performances because he adds a little Latin flavor with his dance moves, and he just looks so comfortable and confident on stage. He's getting so much better at keeping his pitch while he's moving around. That's the mark of a great performer.

Song 2: Oh, he's taking it old school. I was a little worried, but then he started singing it in Spanish,..nice touch! Interesting that instead of slowing it down, like everyone else did, I think he actually sped it up a little bit. It wasn't my favorite performance of his, but it was still really good. I agree with Demi, I wish that there wasn't so much background instrumental music.



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites

No comments: