Monday, December 2, 2013

The Voice, Ep. 5.22

Cole Vosbury (Team Blake)

Coach Pick Song: "Rich Girl" by Hall and Oates
This was a pretty good performance, but I just couldn't wait for it to be over for some reason. It seemed to last forever! I wasn't blown away by it at all, I think anyone could sing it as well as he did. He didn't add anything to it, he basically just sang it like the original. Boring.

Contestant Dedication Song: "Better Man" by James Morrison
What a great song choice, Cole! I love James Morrison and I love this song. This is 100x better than his first song. Sorry Blake, but Cole knows how to pick a better song. What a great, heartfelt performance.

Tessanne Chin (Team Adam)

Coach Pick Song: "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley
While I'm not a huge fan of the songs that bring out a thick Jamaican accent, like this one, you can't deny that her voice is amazing. I didn't like the song, but I liked her performance of it, if that makes sense. I liked her Jamaican influence on last week's No Doubt song better than this one.

Contestant Dedication Song: "Unconditionally" by Katy Perry
I'm a little surprised that she picked this song for herself. It's not my favorite song that she's done. I think she performed it very well, and it showed yet another side of her and her versatility.

Matthew Schuler (Team Christina)

Contestant Dedication Song: "Story of My Life" by One Direction
Great song choice! Interesting song choice, but a good one. Unfortunately, his vocals were so quiet on part of the first verse that you couldn't even hear him singing. Once he got to the chorus, it was much better. The key change at the end was a little awkward. I don't think this was his best performance.

Coach Pick Song: "When a Man Loves a Woman" by Michael Bolton (and Percy Sledge)
I'm not a huge fan of this song. However, I think this performance was better than his first one. Maybe it's the song style. I think this type of song suits him better than pop. He also seemed more comfortable.

Will Champlin (Team Adam)


Contestant Dedication Song: "A Change is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke
I am really not a fan of this song at all. I wish people would stop singing it. That said, just like last week's song, Will actually makes the song tolerable. I just love his voice. I love the arrangement of the song. He always amazes me with his range and the runs he does at the ends of the songs. Simply incredible.

Coach Pick Song: "Hey Brother" by Avicii
Love, love, love! I am loving him more and more after every performance. This truly was a great song for him...great pick Adam! I loved the banjo...good choice Will! Great, great performance!

James Wolpert (Team Adam)

Contestant Dedication Song: "I Fell in Love With a Girl" by The White Stripes
I love this song, and The White Stripes version, so I can't wait to see what he does with it. I like that he's playing the guitar this week. I don't know if we've ever seen him play the guitar before. There is just something about him that is so quirky and awesome. He surprises me every week. Loved this performance!

Coach Pick Song: "I'd Do Anything for Love" by Meatloaf
Good pick Adam, I think his theatrical qualities fit the song very well. The beginning really showcased his vocals and the 2nd half of the song showcased his performance and ability to sing hard and soft.

Jacquie Lee (Team Christina)

Coach Pick Song: "Cry Baby" by Janis Joplin
This is not my favorite song for her. Something seemed a bit off on the loud, screaming "cry baby"'s. I don't think she was technically good as last week. She definitely delivered on the emotion and the differences between the chorus and the softer more vulnerable parts, which is what Christina was trying to show.

Contestant Dedication Song: "The Voice Within" by Christina Aguilera
The perfect song for to sing and for her to dedicate to her coach. I actually prefer her singing this type of song more than the ones she's done the last couple songs. Great performance, but her voice sounded very forced and she kind of went over that borderline I talked about last week, where she sounded more like screeching than singing.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites

No comments: