Wednesday, November 20, 2013

X Factor, Ep. 3.16

Top 10: British Invasion Week

Jeff Gutt - Over 25s (Kelly)
Whoa, "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen...that's a tough one! I think he will be amazing! I hope he can nail it so he doesn't fall into the category of people who have tried it and failed miserably. I like the set design for him this week. Yes, it is awesome! I've got goosebumps. He has the absolute perfect voice for this song, and he can put so much emotion into the lyrics, which sells it even better. Amazing performance. Jeff Gutt + "Bohemian Rhapsody" = perfection = goosebumps = X Factor winner, please!!!

Tim Olstad - Boys (Paulina)
I think playing the piano might be a good move for him this week. I LOVE this song! I know Elton sang it first, but I will always love the Blue version (that features Elton John). It's an amazing song...one of my favorites. I have to say, though, as good as this could have, and should have been, it just wasn't. He had a couple of uncharacteristic flat notes. I didn't like his phrasing of the song either. It sounded kind of rushed. Maybe I'm just used to the original. It was good, but it wasn't actually my favorite performance of his. I find it interesting that the judges actually liked this performance more than his others.

Khaya Cohen - Girls (Demi)
"Let it Be" by The Beatles...another great song choice tonight! I like seeing her sing something more toned down. This song allows her to show off her vocal skills...much more than last week. I like the changes she made to the song. Great performance! Wow, she really brought down the house at the end of that song. Holy crap! Beautiful!

Josh Levi - Boys (Paulina)
Wow, it took me a minute to figure out what song he was singing. He totally gives it a different vibe. I don't really know if it works on this song. I'm not loving it. It would have been better if he wouldn't have turned it into an R&B song and sang it like the original. He might as well have done a different song. Other than the words, not much was the same, and it wasn't changed for the better. Vocally, it was good, but I hated the song.

Alex & Sierra - Groups (Simon)
Covering One Direction? Should be interesting. One Directioners probably won't like it. I like the original, so I can't wait to see how they change it up. Whoa, look at that set! I love the bridge. Another song completely transformed and so different than the original. The difference between them changing a song, and Josh Levi changing a song is that theirs is actually good. Sorry Sierra, but I'm in love with Alex too. So cute, and that voice!

Rion Paige - Girls (Demi)

This is a very interesting song choice. I agree with Simon, I think she should maybe stick to songs more in the country genre (which is tough to do when the theme is British Invasion, I know). But, that said, she did a beautiful job with this. And she looked gorgeous! The only problem was that the song seemed to last forever, and I wish it wouldn't have been as long. Not sure why I feel that way, but like half way through, I was like "is this almost over yet?"

Carlito Olivero - Boys (Paulina)
I have a feeling that this might end up being a very cheesy karaoke performance. It's a hard song to cover and make sound good. I like it better when he sticks to his Latin roots. The Rolling Stones is about as far away from Latino that you can get. I don't think he did himself any favors with this song. It didn't show off his amazing voice, he didn't play off his lovable Latino flare. I did like the way he moved around on the stage, and he had some good dance moves. It was an OK performance, but it wasn't my favorite of his.

Lillie McCloud - Over 25s (Kelly)
One positive this week, her hair actually makes her look human and not like a bush. As much as it kills me, and pains me to say it: this was her best performance BY FAR in this competition. She toned down the theatrics and let her voice shine instead of trying to overpower it. It was really beautiful....darn it...

Ellona Santiago - Girls (Demi)
I don't know if this was the right song for her or not. It was ok, and better than last week's, I think. Something really weird happened in the middle when she turned the song into a rap, or raggae, or something really bizarre. I don't know what the purpose of that was. I didn't like it at all. I also didn't like the way she pronounced "burn" and "barn". One last thing I didn't care for was the gold dancers picking her up and spinning her around. It was just unnecessary. I agree with Simon in that she's trying to be too much of an actress. I think it takes away from her singing.

Restless Road - Groups (Simon)
Coldplay...Simon, you're a freakin' genius! Again, their solos (with the exeption of the cute one on the right...again) have their iffy moments. But man, when they hit the chorus, it was amazing! The lead singer had much better pitch tonight...good for you buddy. The end of the song was beautiful! Oh no, Demi did not just call out the best singer saying his harmonies were off and it was hard to listen to?! Seriously?!

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites

No comments: