Saturday, November 9, 2013

X Factor, Ep. 3.12

This week's theme is: Motown. Taking a page out of American Idol's book, they are picking themes that are not only ancient and out of touch, but so overdone on reality singing competitions. I sure hope this doesn't continue for the remainder of the season. It's going to get old very fast.

Simon announces at the beginning of the show that Josh Levi is coming back as a wildcard because all of the judges felt that he deserved a second chance. Out of all the singers who deserves to come back, it would be James Kenney.

Josh Levi (Boys-Paulina)
He gave a really strong vocal performance. He's not my favorite, but he did a good job.

Rachel Potter (Over 25s-Kelly)
She put an interesting country spin on the song. We haven't ever heard her sing with that country accent before. She didn't even sound like the same person. It was nice to see her change the song, but I didn't love it, and I don't really think it works as an upbeat country song. At least she didn't sound as awful as she did during the 4-chair challenge, when I thought she deserved to go home.

Carlos Guevara (Boys-Paulina)
His voice suited this style very well. I think he sounded much better than he did in the last round. It was a decent performance, but I was really bored during the whole thing.

Restless Road (Groups-Simon)
This should be an interesting challenge for them, to see if they can get it to sound right as a country song. I think Simon will pick the right song to let them do just that.

Right from the beginning of the song, it sounded amazing! Their harmonies are so good for only having been together for a few weeks. The only problem for them is the guy with the weird ears (not sure which one he is)...his solos aren't the best, and he is often pitchy (or "peachy" as Paulina says). So pitchy that it's kind of painful to listen to. I think he would be better to stay in the background, and let the incredibly cute one be the lead singer. I think the girls will be voting them all the way to the end of the competition.

Ellona Santiago (Girls-Demi)
This is a song I really hate, and I don't think she did anything to the song that would make me like it. Her vocals didn't seem to match the production and backing track...it just sounded weird together. I don't think it worked. Technically, she sounded good, but I just didn't care for it all. The best part of the song was the big note at the end without the music.

Jeff Gutt (Over 25s-Kelly)
I hope that he doesn't sound cheesy. I think being a rock guy, this could either be really good and unique, or really awful.

OK, 2 words in...it's going to be amazing! I love when he can be tender and powerful at the same time, like the opening of the song. Absolutely the best song choice for him! It's the best song so far and the best performance so far. I have a feeling it's going to be the best of the night. That was simply amazing! He doesn't need a lot of production and overdone theatrics. He can sing, and his voice speaks for itself.

Alex & Sierra (Groups-Simon)

They are just so cute, I can't stand it! I am always so intrigued to see what they are going to do with a song, because they have such a unique style. I love what they did with this! Vocally, I think they were at their best with this! I love watching them together on stage; his quirky facial expressions and their little looks at each other.

Khaya Cohen (Girls-Demi)
Her voice sounded decent, but the song was pretty boring. I think she tried to do too much with her voice, and the song just didn't allow for all of the vocal tricks she was trying to put into it. I don't think it was the right song. Her audition song was close to Motown, and she killed that. I think something similar to that song would have been much better for her voice. Her voice was wasted on this song.

Carlito Olivero (Boys-Paulina)
His voice sounded amazing on this song. He does so well with upbeat songs, but he can also do slower songs as well. It was nice to hear a different version of this song, and I think he did a great job with it. It was a little boring, but better than many so far.

Lillie McCloud (Over 25s-Kelly)
Motown is right up her alley...which means I'm not going to care for this. I just can't get into someone when they sing a style that I can't stand. Her voice is undeniably good, but I'm not a fan of the music! She belongs 5 decades ago...sorry. The one thing that she did right was that she didn't overdo it, and she kept it very subdued, instead of going way theatrical with it.

Sweet Suspense (Groups-Simon)
I think that this was a good song choice for them. Their harmonies were the best that they've sounded in the competition. They sounded great! They looked and sounded like popstars.

Rion Paige (Girls-Demi)
Her voice is just amazing, and for such a young girl. She surprises me every week. I think she did a good job of changing the song to fit her style.

Tim Olstad (Boys-Paulina)
He sounded great on this song. I still think he hasn't reached his full potential. I think he sounds about the same on every song, every week. I think he needs to tap into another level. I agree with everything that Demi and Kelly said. It's hard to describe exactly what is missing from his performances, but there is something.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites

No comments: