Monday, November 4, 2013

The Voice, Ep. 5.13

First live show. Team Adam and Team Blake are performing tonight. Carson explained the voting process, and I'm not sure this is always the way it was, or if I just never heard it explained before. I know in seasons past, iTunes sales were added to the votes. This season, if a singer ends up in the top 10 on the iTunes chart by the end of voting, their sales are multiplied by 5 and added to their votes. I don't ever remember hearing about the "multiplied by five part" before. I could have just missed it, but I don't think that was always the case.

Shelbie Z - Team Blake
I like that she knows who she is and she knows how to make a song more her style. That's very commendable. She can also flat-out sing her butt off! She killed that song! Her voice is truly amazing, and all country. Great performance.

James Wolpert - Team Adam
This is a nice style for him, sitting down with a guitar. He really has such a wide range of things he can do. His voice is so versatile, but mainly just strong and consistent. He had everyone, including Adam, in awe. I don't think I've ever seen Adam stare at someone with his mouth wide open like that! Very nice James!

Nic Hawke - Team Blake
He's doing "Blurred Lines"...I think this could be awesome. It's a fun song, it's a quirky song, and that is exactly what he is! Again, it's so hard to take him seriously. He's hilarious, but then he does something that makes you say "that dude CAN sing". I loved the rap section, I'm glad they put that in there. He did all the different singers' parts in the song...that's just crazy! I think the best way to describe him is a male Lady Gaga?

Ray Boudreux - Team Blake
I am so in love with his voice. He's got such a smooth tone, but yet he can turn it into rock and give it some grit as well. I just really love to listen to him. He's not so bad to look at either :) Such a good overall performance. He sang at the mike, he moved around to the crowd, it looked really natural.

Austin Jenckes - Team Blake
This is a great song for him. He sounded amazing and was so much better this week than his last performance. This is more like the types of songs he should be singing.

Grey - Team Adam

I LOVE this song! I wouldn't expect her to do a song like this, since we haven't seen anything like it up to this point. I think it wasn't the best we've heard from her. She struggled to get some of the higher notes and it felt like she was forcing it too much. I just don't think she's a rocker chick, I think she does better at more of the pop side of things. The further the song got, she got more off pitch, and it ended up not being near as good as I thought it was going to when she first started. That's disappointing, because she's been one of my favorites from the beginning.

Will Champlin - Team Adam
I love that he's doing a OneRepublic song. I think he will do a great job with it. The changes he made to the song made it almost unrecognizable. But his vocals were stellar and perfect. I love his voice. He gave a great performance. I love that he played the piano, but he also got out from behind it, and then ended up playing again. I think it really worked. That last line and high note was amazing! Loved it!

Preston Pohl - Team Adam
For some reason, I just can't get into Preston. I think his voice is decent, but he just doesn't excite me. I don't know if this was the right song for him. I don't know, I just didn't love it. I think he put too much growl into it. I guess I'm just used to the original version that's a little smoother. I think he did a good job on the rap parts, and that had to be hard to get all those words in.

Cole Vosbury - Team Blake
I wouldn't have thought of a Rod Stewart song for him, but after I hear him singing a little bit of it, I can see it. I haven't been a huge fan of his up to this point, but he proved that he really is a great singer. I actually liked his performance a lot more than I thought I would.

Tessanne Chin - Team Adam
I can't wait to see what she sings, because she is amazing! She has so much power, it's incredible. Her pitch is always immaculate and right on. Definitely not my favorite song, and not even my favorite song that she's done, but it was still really good.

My picks for Team Adam: Tessanne, James, Will (alternate: Grey)
My picks for Team Blake: Ray, Shelbie Z., Cole (alternate: Nic)


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites

No comments: