Thursday, March 14, 2013

American Idol, Ep. 12.18 & 12.19

This week's theme: any song, from any American Idol winner. This should be good!

Curtis - Fantasia's "Believe"
He would have to pick one of the worst winners to sing. It really bugs me how squinty his eyes are when he's singing. He did a fine job, but his last "believe" was really flat.
My score: 8

Janelle - Scotty's version of "Gone" by Montgomery Gentry
Parts of it were good, but there was a lot of shouting. It was like she was really straining her voice to hit the notes and to sing louder than she really needed to.
My score: 6

Devin - Carrie's "Temporary Home"
Boring, boring, boring. He sings it well, as usual for him, but it didn't go anywhere. It's not very memorable.
My score: 7

Angie - Kelly's version of "I Surrender" by Celine Dion
Kelly's performance on this song was so amazing, and it will be hard to live up to, but I KNOW if anyone can do it, it's Angie. She actually sounds a little like Kelly on this song...which isn't a bad thing! Oh, I just love her voice so much! Holy crap, this girl can sing like it's no one's business! Not a wrong note anywhere, and perfect song choice...again. So flawless every time. No one can match that.
My score: 10

Paul - Scotty's version of "Amazed" by Lonestar
No, Paul...don't go to the dark side...country. Well, as much as I don't care for this song, I think he improved it from the original...and it was DEFINITELY better than Scotty's version. He ended the song really strong, and I don't think he oversang it (which has been the judges' major criticism).
My score: 8

Candice - Jordin's version of "I Have Nothing" by Benny King
I remember Jordin's performance of this and it was really good. So much power! This girl has such a strong voice, and it always seems so effortless for her. Definitely a really, really strong performance. I liked the unexpected note change at the end. Great job.
My score: 10

Lazaro - Kelly's "Breakaway"
This is probably not the song I would have picked for him, but I think he gave a pretty strong performance. He seems to get more and more comfortable on stage each time. I think he had a really strong ending. And then when you hear him speak, you just feel so much for him. He really felt the song, and you can't help but want to root for him. I don't know why the judges didn't like it that much. It might not have been his best, but it was still pretty darn good. I don't think he's going anywhere, because people love him!
My score: 8

Kree - Carrie's "Crying" by Roy Orbison
Oh my gosh....there are hundreds of songs to choose from by Idol wins, and you pick this? Seriously? Wow, just like Angie, Kree sounds a little like Carrie singing this. She has a pretty voice, but I just get really bored.
My score: 8

Burnell - Ruben's version of "Flying Without Wings" by Westlife
Ugh! One of the things that made me so mad was when Ruben did this song! Westlife, one of my all-time favorite groups, was the original group to sing this song. I LOVED it! Then Ruben comes along and "R&B's it" and ruins it! Then they start playing it on the radio, and I have to hear it over and over again, this horrible version...knowing that a much better version exists that no one knows about. And now Burnell is going to do it again! And, if it's possible, I think he ruined it more than Ruben! You just don't mess with this song people! Song choice aside, he sings it well, but I did not enjoy that at all!!
My score: 7

Amber - Kelly's "A Moment Like This"
She has such a pretty voice and she doesn't overdo it like so many singers like her. The whole song was so beautiful.
My score: 10

Can I just say that there were way too many songs from people like Scotty, Ruben and Fantasia...boo!




Week 1 Results

This season, American Idol is taking a page out of X Factor's book by revealing how each of the singer's ranked in votes. The placement of each of the Top 3 was not revealed, but 4-10 was.  Here is this week's ranking and who was eliminated:

1-3 (in no particular order): Angie, Candice, Kree
4: Lazaro
5: Amber
6: Janelle
7: Burnell
8: Paul
9: Devin
10: Curtis -- ELIMINATED -- the judges did not use their save

My picks for the bottom 3 were: Devin, Curtis and Burnell--so I did pretty good. I chose Devin to go home though, because he is very dull and doesn't have as big of a voice as Curtis does. Either way, not too sad with the results. I'm a little worried about Paul though, I like him, but I was afraid he would be near the bottom. Lazaro's position also surprised me a little. A lot of blogs ranked him very low and said he would be going home. I knew better. I know he has a ton of fans. This week's votes might have been mostly sympathy, but he has proven that he deserves to be in the competition for his voice. Hopefully next week, he won't be so nervous.

No comments: