Wednesday, April 29, 2015

American Idol, Ep. 14.27

Top 4 Theme: Home

No Twitter Save this week people...lowest number of votes, you go home! And guess what...this week they are eliminating that person before they sing both songs!

Clark Beckham
"Livin' for the City" by Stevie Wonder
Am I wrong, or did he already sing this song in one of the Hollywood rounds? Maybe it was someone else, but I feel like it was him. Again, not my favorite song choice. I know he loves this stuff, but it just isn't my cup o' tea. I do love to see him jam a little on the piano though. He was really rockin' it out at the end. Vocally he sounded great, and a great rebound from being slightly off his game last week.
My Score: A-

“Your Man” by Josh Tuner
Tackling the famous song that Scotty McCreary auditioned with. Gotta say, I 100% like Clarks' non-country version better! I wonder if John Mayer has covered this version, because this sounds very John Mayer-esque. I actually really liked this! It was poppy, it was jazzy, it had some swagger. It was really cool. His voice sounded amazing. Great choice. I don't care what J. Lo says, I think he made a great choice.  I seriously can't believe all the criticism the judges are giving him for this. I love that Ryan asked him if he regretted the song choice, he came right out and said "no" and the crowd cheered! They called him out saying they don't think he could win with that song, and that it wasn't his gravy. He said he just had to say that he really wants to win the show...and they continued to attack him! Leave my Clark alone! J. Lo said in a very rude tone that he needed to entertain his audience, and Keith said there was a difference between people liking him and liking his music (because they all said they weren't sure that this type of music was what American Idol fans wanted to hear). He stuck up for himself and said he truly believed that people want to hear the music he is doing. I think that various Internet polls would prove his point....he has CONSISTENTLY been in the #1 spot pretty much every single week, and by quite a large margin. I get that they can have their opinion and they are there to give their honest feedback and criticism in order for him to grow and get better. However, I think they were just being rude! They were purposely just picking on him for no reason at all. I don't know where that came from...but I didn't like it one bit and he didn't deserve it! I actually feel like they were kind of sabotaging him. I sure hope this doesn't hurt his chances going forward. Maybe they felt they needed to even the playing field, since they usually have nothing but good comments for him, maybe they thought they needed to just make something up.
My Score: A

Jax
“Empire State of Mind” by Alicia Keys and Jay-Z,
Wow, I don't even recognize this song the way she changed it. It's not even recognizable until she gets to the chorus. The beginning sounded pretty, but she screeched a little more than her normal on the chorus. It was almost like her voice was giving out on her, like maybe she had a cold or something? Regardless, it was still a very nice performance. I have to say as far as song choices go, I think she probably wins the award this season for best song choices.
My Score: B+

“Human” by Christina Perry
I absolutely love this song, it's so beautiful. I think she will either sound really amazing, or if she uses too much of the quirkiness in her voice, it might lose some of the feeling of the song. Her chorus was beautiful. I loved the vibrato in her voice. She used just enough tension in her voice to give it the emotion that this song needs. It was another great performance. The only problem: the back-up singer. Yikes! Turn that person's mic off! She didn't need a back-up singer, we only needed Jax. This is a show about contestants, I hate that they sing with back-up singers. Save that for the finale. I only want to hear the contestant. I don't know what happened this time, but whoever that back-up person was, they totally ruined what could have been a perfect performance.
My Score: A (for Jax), F (for the back-up singer)

Nick Fradiani
“Bright Lights” by Matchbox Twenty
I love this song - it's one of my favorite Matchbox Twenty songs. I always remember getting to hear them perform it live on the Today Show in NYC...good times! He sounded great tonight and gave a really good, upbeat performance. I totally believe him as a rockstar on that chorus. Harry and Keith are right that he looks more comfortable performing every week. He's finally finding his groove, and his confidence is showing. That's one of my favorite Nick performances all season. I'm glad he's sticking around!
My Score: A+

“What Hurts The Most” by Rascal Flatts
I have some questions about whether this is a good song for him or not. If he would have sung it early in the competition, I'm sure it would have flopped. Now that he's "found himself" and his confidence, he could pull off a really good performance. He showed so much more raw emotion than we've ever seen from him! Wow! He was really feeling it! It's amazing to see how far he's come in the last few weeks. He definitely gets the Most Improved award. He commanded that stage, and with no guitar! He would have never been able to do that, even just a couple weeks ago. He would have stood there at the mic looking awkward. But tonight, he truly performed, and it was a beautiful performance. I really hope that the Chris Daughtry syndrome doesn't hit him next week. We all remember when Chris Daughtry was voted out in that 4th spot in Season 5. It was a sad day. Nick is so similar to Chris, so I hope he doesn't end up with the same fate. Although, if he has even half the career success that Chris Daughtry's band Daughtry has had, coming in 4th isn't so bad.
My Score: A+

Rayvon Owen
"Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum
Where did he come up with this song choice? Really, really out there choice for him. And it was a risk that didn't pay off. I don't think it worked for him at all. I will say that the second half fared better than the first half, but he's not going to be winning the show with that performance. I agree with Keith that he should do less of the dramatics and more of the connection and feeling.
My Score: B-

“Believe” by Justin Bieber
This performance proves how well he can sing when he actually has a connection to the song. His voice was so strong on this song, and he almost didn't sound like himself at the beginning. He did slip back into his falsetto and started to kind of shout when he got to the loud chorus. His voice also cracked, which showed how much he was oversinging and forcing it. But it was nice to see him show some true feeling for the song and not just some fake dramatics.
My Score: B+

Bottom 2

Tyanna and Rayvon

Doing things a little differently, and they are eliminating someone halfway through the show.

Going home: Tyanna and Rayvon lives to sing another day...even without the Twitter Save. Wow. I really thought this was his week.

And again, I've totally underestimated Nick's popularity. I keep assuming he's really close to the bottom, but he's safe again. I'm glad I was wrong, because I really like Nick! I guess maybe I was right about people forgetting to vote for Tyanna because of her drastic look change.

Tyanna sang one final time, and it was really, really awful. It was painful. This would have sent her home next week if she didn't get voted out tonight. And I don't think it was just her emotions because she seemed pretty calm and collected when she received the news.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: