Wednesday, April 8, 2015

American Idol, Ep. 14.24

Top 7: Billboard Hot 100
Guest Mentors: Florida Georgia Line (yuck), and Jason Derulo

Jax - "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga
She did a Lady Gaga song in one of the early rounds, and this is not a huge surprise for her to pick this. It will be interesting to see what she does with it. She really changed up the accompaniment. It was kind of a slowed down, jazzy version. I actually kind of liked it. OK, Joey, take notice: if you're going to do jazz this is how it should sound!
My Score: A

Nick - "Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry
Very interesting choice. I like the rock edge he brought to the song. There were a couple places where something just didn't sound quite right, but he really rocked it out. I think practicing in the mirror helped him. Overall, a pretty good performance. That one might gain him a few fans.
My Score: B+

Quentin - "Latch" by Disclosure feat. Sam Smith
I've never been a fan of this song. He sadly sang it very close to the original. If he would have done something different with it, it might have been better. His vocals were really good, but it was really kind of on the boring side...even though it was a bit more upbeat than what he normally does.
My Score: B

Joey - "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus
Thank you Jason Derulo for calling her out on her annoying habits...the crab hands! So, she's going to attempt "Wrecking Ball" and NOT change the arrangement. Hopefully this will make her flaws stand out even more. So, who styled that mop on top of her head tonight? What a frizzy, purple mess! Is she going for the Sia look? Admittedly, parts of this weren't not awful. But if you listen...if you actually listen to the notes she's singing...there was more than one bum note and more than one too many scratchy notes that she just couldn't hit. So, all of that said, the modern song, sung much like the original was a much better way to go than the past 3 weeks or so. It was better, but by no means was this good.
My Score: C+

Clark - "Make It Rain" by Ed Sheeran
Ed Sheeran--great choice! OK, how incredibly hot does he look right now?! Oh man, those lights, those eyes, that guitar...perfection! Vocals beyond perfection. He just can do no wrong. Interesting choice to bring out the electric guitar on this one. We haven't seen that from him yet. What can't he do, seriously?! Qaasim should take note of Clark's "stank face"...Qaasim's could use some work. Oh man, there are no more words to describe how good that was. LOVE HIM!!!
My Score: A+

Tyanna - "Stay" by Rihanna
I think this going to be a really good performance for Tyanna. This style is where she really shines. Her vocals were really on point. I don't think we've ever heard her so haunting. She was really into the song, and she was actually quivering in places because of her emotions. She said in the video package that she had an emotional connection to the song. The ending of the song was really pretty. This was a big week for her, and I think she's found herself again. I was kind of ready to write her off in this competition. Looks like she's back.
My Score: A

Bottom 2: Rayvon and Qaasim
OK, so my pick to go home this week was Qaasim. I decided to go against the other 3 people in our bracket, who all chose Rayvon as going home. Either I'm going to be the only one right, or I'm going to be the only one wrong and lose out big time. I was hoping it wouldn't come down to the 2 of them, because I think Qaasim, depending on his performance could get a lot of quick Twitter votes if he has a good, upbeat performance..and he's performing second. If anyone can beat Rayvon, I think it's going to be Qaasim. So for the sake of my bracket, I have to hope Rayvon kills it and Qaasim falls flat.

Rayvon - "Set Fire To The Rain" by Adele
This is going to be interesting. He seems to really be straining. I don't love the arrangement. It feels very awkward. He did hit a very big note that was right on. I have to hope that that's enough to get the votes. I don't know.
My Score: B

Qaasim - "Hey Ya" by Outkast
This is the classic Qaasim that got him to where he is right now. And there's that accompanying "stank face" that I wish he would lose. So, his vocals actually sound pretty good. I thought with how upbeat and crazy this song is that he might get out of control. He had just the right amount of crazy and the right amount of good vocals. I'm afraid...I'm very afraid I'm about to lose some major points in my bracket. However, his sort of cocky attitude he is displaying right now may be his downfall.
My Score: A-

OK people, time to #SaveRayvon on Twitter! Help me out!

And the voters save: Rayvon! Even though I actually think his vocals were better than Rayvon's.

Going Home: Qaasim

So, going with my gut and not following the crowd paid off! I jumped into first place by 4 points!

Next Week Predictions

Should Be Bottom 2: Joey, Rayvon
Should Go Home: Joey

Will Be Bottom 2: Quentin, Rayvon
Should Go Home: Rayvon

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: