Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 8.13

The Live Playoffs, Part 2

Team Adam and Team Christina

I'm expecting for tonight's episode to be not as good as last night's. Adam's and Christina's teams are both weaker than Pharrell's and Blake's.

Tonya Boyd-Cannon - Team Adam
"Take Me To The Pilot" by Elton John
I just don't get excited by anything she does. I've never even heard this song before. The song unfamiliarity didn't help, but I'm just not into her style at all.
My Score: B-

Joshua Davis - Team Adam
"Budapest" by George Ezra
Yes Adam! This is such a good song, that I'm loving right now. He did a slightly different version, but it was still really good. Got my toes a tappin' just like the original. Adam was smart to give him something that is current to make him more relatable.
My Score: A

Sonic - Team Christina
"I'm Going Down" by Mary J. Blige
There's no denying she is an incredible singer, but I just can't get into her style. She sang every note really well, just not my cup o' tea.
My Score: B

Brian Johnson - Team Adam
"At This Moment" by Billy Vera & The Beaters
Wow, Adam really pulled this one out of the woodwork. It may have been released before I was born, but I do know this song...just didn't know who sang it...Billy Vera & The Beaters? Who? Any way, Brian did an awesome job. He hasn't had a bad performance in this whole competition, and yet I'm always surprised by how much I like him. Flawless performance.
My Score: A

Kimberly Nichole - Team Christina
"What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes
What an interesting song choice for her. This is probably the best song choice she's had in the competition. Normally I can't stand her singing, but I actually kind of liked this. As much as it pains me to say it. I still can't handle those stupid tutus she always wears.
My Score: B+

Lexi Davila - Team Christina
"All By Myself" by Celine Dion
She really has such a beautiful voice! I actually hear a lot of similarities to Christina in her voice. She really nailed this performance. Really powerful for such a young girl. I totally got goosebumps (or goosies like J. Lo says) when she hit that extremely high climactic note at the end. That was incredible.
My Score: A

Nathan Hermida - Team Adam
"Chains" by Nick Jonas
Another great song pick from Adam--another one of my favorite songs right now. Was it just me or was he totally off at the beginning. The notes didn't sound right to me. I'm not sure I loved his choice to get really gritty and rough at the end. Then he let me down with the big note right at the climax. He forced it, and it didn't hit strong, it kind of screetched a little bit. Overall it was a pretty good performance, but it also had some problems.
My Score: B

India Carney - Team Christina
"Hurt" by Christina Aguilera
I wish she wouldn't turn every song into an opera. If she could tone down the vibrato, I would really like her. She did a little better with that on this song than some of her other performances. She really belted this out with tons of power. At times, it was just too much, and I heard some pitchy notes.
My Score: B+

Rob Taylor - Team Christina
"Earned It" by The Weekend
Never heard this song before, and I don't care for it at all. He's clearly sticking to what he does best: high falsettos, so high that only dogs can hear. Vocally this was great, but the song was not.
My Score: B

Deanna Johnson - Team Adam
"Down To The River"
Another gospel song! I think she is going to sound amazing on this song. It was so beautiful! What a performance to end the night on.
My Score: A

So that concludes the Top 20 first round of the Live Playoffs. Tomorrow the voting results will reveal the Top 12. 2 singers from each team will advance based on the public vote. Each coach will then save 1 member of their team.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: