Monday, April 13, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 8.15 & 8.16

Top 12: The Live Playoffs continue...

Guest mentor: Reba McIntyre

Hannah - Team Blake
"Edge of 17" by Stevie Nicks
This song is right up Hannah's alley. The dark theatrics suit her very well. She is definitely a performer. She was all over the stage and out in the audience just having a good time. She had big notes and stayed on pitch. I'm not always a fan of what she does, but this was a pretty good performance.
My Score: A-

Brian - Team Adam
"If I Ever Lose My Faith In You" by Sting
This isn't my favorite song choice for him. I don't know if it's going to be dynamic enough to win votes. Even thought it tested his upper register, it seemed like kind of a safe choice. I don't know that he nailed every one of the higher notes. Not my favorite performance of his at all. He normally really impresses me, but this week just seemed really flat.
My Score: B

India - Team Christina
"Take Me To Church" by Hozier
This is going to be interesting. I think her vibrato could go out of control on this song. If she can tame it and keep it reeled in, this could be amazing. She won't be able to touch Matt McAndrew's version from last season. Her opening is really good. Her "amens" are really good.  I actually think this song is a good choice for her because she already has a very dark tone to her voice and this song is really dark. Overall, this is one of her best, I think. I think she got a little off pitch on a couple of the jumps to the high notes, but other than that, it was really good.
My Score: A-

Mia Z. - Team Pharrell
"Miss You" by The Rolling Stones
The bluesy feel to this song is right in her wheelhouse. She was really in the groove. They told her in rehearsals that she needed to work on her words, because she was really hard to understand. She still had that problem live. Some parts were better than others. I know she can sing high, but I don't really think it was necessary to go to the glass-shattering decibels that she did.
My Score: B+

Deanna - Team Adam
"Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)" by Hillsong United
I didn't love how her voice sounded at the beginning. Something was off. It was way too quiet...not too sure if it was just because it was so low, or if it was the mic or what. Once she got to the chorus it was better. To me, it sounded like there were a lot of off-pitch notes. This wasn't my favorite of hers.
My Score: B-

Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell
"Imagine" by John Lennon
I was really looking forward to this, because I thought it was a really good song choice for him. I'm always excited to see what he's going to be doing. However, I wasn't loving the first verse for some reason. I think I was missing some of the original song. He gave it a completely different style. I was actually a little underwhelmed with this. I was really hoping for something epic, but it fell kind of short. It was still good, but I didn't feel like he nailed all the notes like he normally does.
My Score: B

Rob - Team Christina
"I Put A Spell On You" by Screamin' Jay Hawkins
I'm actually a fan of this old song, believe it or not. It's been done really well by several singing contestants on various shows. I think it was done last by Jesse Kinch on Rising Star. Rob's version was very good. It was so unexpected from him. He talked about all of the different song styles he's done on the show so far, and this is completely different from any of them. And of course, he had to throw in his signature high falsetto at the end of the song. I think that is probably his best performance.
My Score: A-

Corey - Team Blake
"Why" by Jason Aldean
Something was missing with this performance. I didn't love it for some reason. It seemed really safe and boring. I did like when the music was stripped away and it was just his vocals at the end. It was just OK for me.
My Score: B+

Koryn - Team Pharrell
"Stronger" by Kelly Clarkson
I really, really wish she could contain her vibrato and stop shaking so much when she's singing. She's got so much power and sometimes it's just too overdone. She started out on a level 90 and by the end she had cranked it over 150. I thought she might blow a gasket.
My Score: A-

Joshua - Team Adam
"America" by Simon & Garfunkel
I love that Adam told him to lose the guitar this week. I'm a sucker for the guitar, but I was ready to see Joshua do something different. I wish he was doing a better song. I don't care for this at all. The song was really painful. His vocals were great as usual, but the song sucked.
My Score: B

Meghan - Team Blake
"Girl Crush" by Little Big Town
I wish she would make up her mind. She wanted to get away from country music and do big pop/diva songs. Last week she did kind of a rock song, and now she's back doing country again. Leave it to Blake to bring her back to country. That said, she really sounded great on this song.
My Score: A

Kimberly - Team Christina
"House Of The Rising Sun" by The Animals
I really didn't like Kimberly at the beginning of the competition, but last week and this week, she's actually starting to grow on me a little bit. She really let loose on this song. She gave it so much power and it was so deep and dark.
My Score: A

Results

My best guesses for who is going home? Deanna and Brian. What a turn of events if this happens. Never in the history of The Voice (that I know of) has Adam lost 2 singers in the same night. Unheard of! But, like I've said since the beginning -- Adam has not had the strongest team this season, in fact it's been one of the weakest. Not sure what happened, except that all the good singers didn't choose him! He tried, but Pharrell and Blake are hard to say no to.

So, on to the results...

Bottom 3: Mia Z., Brian, and Deanna
So, looks like I'm pretty close to being 100% correct. They will each perform one more time and hope to be saved. I'm shocked that Mia was in the bottom 3. I think she will absolutely be saved.

All 3 gave really, really good performances. This might be closer than I thought. The voting graphic has both Deanna and Brian at 35% and Mia at 30%...totally not what I expected.

Instant Save: Deanna
Going Home: Brian and Mia

OK, so I was 1 for 2...but so close to getting them both. Had Deanna not sung last, would she still have come out ahead?


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: