Wednesday, April 22, 2015

American Idol, Ep. 14.26

Top 6: Arena Anthems
Honestly, looking at some of the songs on the list for tonight, I'm really wondering how they consider a song like "Yesterday" or "White Flag" as an arena anthem. I'm not complaining, because I like "Yesterday" and I LOVE "White Flag", but they would not be my idea of an arena anthem. I'm excited for quite a few of these songs, and I'm ECSTATIC that we don't have to worry about a Joey performance this week!

Jax 
Jet’s “Are You Gonna Be My Girl”
Overall, this was a pretty good rendition of this song. It was a bit high-pitched for me at times, but she rocked it out. I would have liked to see her change up the song a little bit. It wasn't my favorite performance from her, but it was still good.
My Score: B+

Dido’s “White Flag”
I seriously love this song, so I can't wait to see what she does with it. I like that she stayed fairly close to the original, because it is such a beautiful song. I think this is the best song of the night, by far! Loved, loved, loved it! She did nothing wrong on that song at all.
My Score: A+

Nick Fradiani
Maroon 5’s “Harder to Breathe”
I love this Maroon 5 song. I don't know what happened right at the beginning of the song, it was really awkward. Luckily it only lasted for a tiny bit. I like seeing him do this type of song. It brings out his inner (and outer) Chris Daughtry.
My Score: A-

Rod Stewart’s “Maggie May”
I think this might be better than his first song. This was so well done, and was such a fun performance. His vocals were great and he looked so comfortable singing it. I didn't expect this one to be as good as it was.
My Score: A

Clark Beckham
The Beatles’ “Yesterday”
I wanted to like this more than I actually did. I don't know that it was one of his best vocals. I think there were a few parts that were just a little off. This was simple, and he just stood at the mic--it should have been a little more impactful than it ended up being. I'm glad he has another performance. Regardless, Clark on his worst day is still better than everyone else on their best day. CAN'T WAIT to see what he does with Justin Bieber's "Boyfriend", because there is no way he is singing it exactly like the original.
My Score: B

Justin Bieber’s “Boyfriend”
I was right, this is SO different from the original! The only thing the same is the words! OK, now the chorus is familiar. It's strange hearing him sing words so fast! I don't think I like the way he's doing the verses. Maybe it's just because I know the song. But the chorus makes up for it. He TOTALLY rocked the chorus. He actually made his voice sound completely different than we've heard him.
My Score: B+

Tyanna Jones
Miley Cyrus’ “Party in the USA”
Holy crap...what on earth did Tyanna do to her hair and why?! I don't even know who that is on stage. Seriously. She has long braids down past her shoulders. This girl had a rather short fro for the entire season, and then she changes it up so drastically? Don't get it at all. Not that it looks bad or anything--it actually looks nice on her--it's just such a drastic change. So, to the song, it was fun and nice to see her do something more her age. Vocally it was pretty good. Since she completely changed herself this week physically, will people even know to vote for her if they don't realize that she performed this week?
My Score: B+

Bryan Adams’ “Heaven”
And now with her braids pulled back, she has another completely different look! Very different song choice from the first one. She did a really good job. I just wish she would tone down the vibrato. It can be really distracting at times. There weren't a whole lot of dynamics in this song, she kind of sang it the same the whole way through, with the exception of the note changes at the end of the song. It was good, but a little bland.
My Score: B

Bottom 2
And, was it a surprise to anyone that Quentin and Rayvon are tonight's Bottom 2?

Quentin Alexander
The Doors’ “Light My Fire”
At least he looks happy this week. I think he sang the song way, way too low. Sometimes you couldn't even hear what he was saying. The second half of the song was much better than the first half.
My Score: B-

Florence + The Machine’s “Shake It Out”
I really don't like this song, but surprisingly, I actually like his version more than the original. That long held out note was incredible. And, he might just be back in the game with that performance. He needed that performance if he had any hopes of knocking out Rayvon. I don't know if everyone will forget about what happened last week or not.
My Score: A-

Rayvon Owen 
Sam Smith’s “I’m Not the Only One”
He's going to win a lot of votes for doing this extremely popular, and current song. He had the same kind of "cry" in his voice that Sam Smith does. This might be one of his best performances. And he didn't rely on the falsetto this time, except only used it when the song really called for it. Nice change of pace. He definitely used more of his full voice than we've heard from him in the past.
My Score: A-

Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way”
Oh dear, I don't know if this is going to be enough for Rayvon. He's kind of falling back into the reasons why he has ended up in the Bottom 2 for the last 4 weeks. I like that he tried to go for it, but the vocals were not there at all. He faded in and out of tune. His last "falsetto" note at the end was more of a scream. Yikes...
My Score: C

The Results

So, Quentin's first song was so-so, but the second was really good. Rayvon's song was the best he's sounded all season, but his second song was quite awful. So who get's the save? I thought Rayvon might have it in the bag, especially with Quentin's meltdown last week, but he showed a much more fun and happy personality this week. With his great second performance, it could be enough to dethrone the Instant Save King.

Instant Save: Rayvon...proving yet again that he must have 9 lives, and his fans are Twitter fiends!
Going Home: Quentin

Next Week's Guesses

Should be Bottom 2: Rayvon and Tyanna
Should go Home: Rayvon

Will be Bottom 2: Rayvon and Nick
Will go Home: Rayvon


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: