Monday, April 6, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 8.12: The Live Playoffs

The Live Playoffs Begin!

I have to admit, as good as the season started, I'm less than excited for this round of the competition. There's really only a couple singers out of the 20 who are left who I have any interest in seeing. That's kind of pathetic don't you think? But, I'll try to be optimistic, and who knows, being live might light a fire under some of these middle-of-the-road, predictable singers, and maybe they will surprise us with some epic performances.

Tonight we have Team Pharrell and Team Blake, and tomorrow night will be Team Adam and Team Christina.

Sarah Potenza - Team Blake
"Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
I love how quiet she started the song. It was really beautiful and heartfelt. I would love to see more of that from her. It was a nice, slow build to that powerful ending. There was such a contrast from the beginning to the end of the song. I didn't care for the arrangement of the end of the song, except when she ended it the same way the song started. Probably one of her best performances.
My Score: B+

Caitlin Caporale - Team Pharrell
"Best Thing I Never Had" by Beyonce
She's probably my favorite girl in the competition right now. Her voice is so strong and so clean. She doesn't oversing, and she picks really good songs. I love everything she does. She's also a very good performer and you really believe what she's singing. This was so good. I would have given it an A+, but there was just a couple notes at the end that were a little off, but overall, still a great performance.
My Score: A

Hannah Kirby - Team Blake
"I Feel The Earth Move" by Carole King
I've kind of been on the fence with whether or not I like her voice. She's had a couple good performances, but I didn't really care for last week's, and this weeks wasn't great either, partly because of the song choice. But also, partly just the way she really over sings songs that don't really need to be sung so...I don't even know what word to use to describe the way she sings. By the end, I'm exhausted and ready for the song to be over.
My Score: B

Lowell Oakley - Team Pharrell
"Jealous" by Nick Jonas
Thank you, Pharrell, for choosing a big pop song that is popular right now, instead of the crooner junk he normally sings. This is a great song choice for him. He seriously has never sounded better! This is what he needs to be singing! I knew he had it in him, he just couldn't pick the right songs. I'm so glad the coaches are picking this songs, because this was awesome. He totally nailed all the falsettos in this song. I might even like this better than Nick Jonas's version!
My Score: A+

Mia Z. - Team Pharrell
"Ain't No Sunshine" by Eva Cassidy
This may be an old song, but it's an old song that I actually like. I wasn't totally loving this particular arrangement in certain places. Her vocals were great, but I didn't care for some of the accompanying music. I would have loved for it to just be completely a cappella. I think that would have been so moving.
My Score: A-

Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell

"How Great Thou Art"
I really wish she didn't sing so low, because she has a great voice and she sounds better when she sings a little bit higher. And how great to hear such a gospel song on a show like this. She really needs to stop that incessant shaking that she does. I know she's really getting into the song, but it's really distracting. That ending was super powerful.
My Score: B+

Corey Kent White - Team Blake
"To Make You Feel My Love" by Garth Brooks
Sorry, it will always be Adele's version for me. Even though this was the country version, it was still incredibly beautiful. He has an amazing voice. He leans toward the pop side of country, which I love. This was a song that he could really show emotion on. He can sing upbeat and fun, too, which just shows the range he has.
My Score: A

Brooke Adee - Team Blake
"Love Me Like You Do" by Ellie Goulding
I think she will nail this song. I think next to Caitlin, she's my next favorite girl. I love her voice. The only thing I didn't love was her choice to sing the chorus in such a low key. Once she took it back up where it belonged it was so much better. She said this was a little out of her comfort zone. For most of the song that didn't show, but toward the end, she did look a little unsure of herself. Overall, though, I really enjoyed this performance.
My Score: B+

Meghan Linsey - Team Blake
"Love Runs Out" by OneRepublic
I'm a little scared to hear this. I love this song so much, and I'm not sure she can handle this song in the way that is needed. It could be a train wreck because it's such a well-known song. Blake was right, if she wanted to stay in the competition, she needed to do something more current. I didn't love the country twang that came through loud and clear. I just don't buy this coming from her. It just doesn't seem like something she would normally sing. I think she is still going through some kind of musical identity crisis. I will say that she gave it 100% and really went all out. It was good, but something was just off for me...can't really put my finger on what. Even though I didn't love it, I am glad to see her branching out and trying something new.
My Score: B

Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell
"Trouble" by Ray LaMontagne
This is a really predictable song choice for Sawyer. He has been doing songs like this so consistently well. Next week, I would love to hear him do something unconventional and really make it his own. If you close your eyes, you would say he was a 40-year-old man. Open your eyes and you would be shocked to see this young guy...who kind of looks like a girl. That voice is just so incredible. He gave the song so many different shades, and he really nailed it at the chorus in the middle of the song.
My Score: A


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: