Wednesday, April 15, 2015

American Idol, Ep. 14.25

Top 7: Classics

Really, American Idol? Really?! Why do 7 people need to sing 2 songs each? Looking at the leaked songs and who's singing them, I'm not really even excited to hear most of them sing 1 of these songs, let alone 2.

Tyanna Jones 
Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers’ “Why Do Fools Fall In Love”
I think I'm going to say this a lot tonight. Hated the song. This was actually just painful. She used way too much vibrato.
My Score: C

Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Proud Mary”
This was clearly a good song choice for her. Much better than the first one. Where did those high notes come from? I didn't know she had that in her. She rocked it out.
My Score: A-

Clark Beckham
Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition”
OK, I hate that little scatting thing he did at the beginning. But, the rest of the song was amazing as usual. Judges loved it and really didn't have anything to critique.
My Score: A-

“Moon River” (from Breakfast at Tiffany’s)
Oh Clark, I don't like this song. It is so boring. But oh, that slicked back hair and suit...yummy! If he didn't look so good, and if his voice wasn't so beautiful and soothing, this would be pretty unbearable. DEFINITELY not m favorite...just because of the song. I don't think it was his best vocal, but even when he's not at his best, he still has the best voice in the competition. I don't think this song allowed him to show off his voice at all. (Funny line of the night: Keith said "it was warm and fuzzy like an epidural".)
My Score: B+

Jax

Janis Joplin’s “Piece of My Heart”
This sounded just like I thought it would. It's classic Jax. This song has been done a million times, but she did it justice. I liked her quite verses and then growling into the full blown chorus.
My Score: A

Michael Jackson’s “Beat It”
Jax definitely had the best songs of the night, in my opinion. I thought she might change up this song a little bit since she did the first one pretty much like the original. But she sang this pretty much like the original as well. She sounded great.
My Score: A

Nick Fradiani
Tom Petty’s “American Girl”
This was a pretty good performance. There were maybe a few notes that could have been a little. It was OK, but I didn't love it.
My Score: B

Billy Joel’s “Only the Good Die Young”
This was a nice choice for him. I like that he slowed it down a little and performed it without his guitar. I think this is the best his voice has sounded yet! I liked this a lot more than I thought I would.
My Score: A

Quentin Alexander 
Lenny Kravitz’s “Are You Gonna Go My Way”
He pulled out some rock tonight. It was more upbeat than we've seen him in a few weeks. There were some very questionable notes that were kind of distracting. It was nice to see him do something different, but it wasn't great.
My Score: B+

OK, side note: I have to mention what happened after his performance, and after the judges' critiques. He looked upset, and Ryan asked him how he was doing. He said he was OK, but he said "This sucks! We have 2 of the best vocalists. My best friend is over there. This whole thing is whack, but I'm gonna shut up right now" and pointed to the chairs where Joey and Rayvon were still sitting, as the bottom 2. At this point, Harry speaks up and says that he can just go home if he thinks the competition is whack. He said that saying that was incredibly disrespectful, and he shouldn't be biting the hand that feeds him. That made Quentin upset, and he came over to the judge's table and got up right next to Harry, and I thought he might attack him! He said he wanted to clarify. He didn't mean the competition was whack, it was whack that his friends were in jeopardy of going home. Harry said, well, it is a competition. The whole interaction was just bizarre. Quentin has always been a little different, but this was different to a whole different level, and it was borderline creepy. He's lucky he's safe this week, because that display was very offputting, and he would surely be voted out. It may likely be the nail in his coffin next week. While I understood what Quentin was saying, and didn't take it the way Harry did, it still went farther than it needed to. Keep in mind, he wasn't going to say anything, and reluctantly answered Ryan's prodding questions.

Simon & Garfunkel’s “The Sound of Silence”
This performance was the classic Quentin we have come to know. It was slow and haunting. He had a beautiful moment with a high held note. It was right on pitch and it was beautiful. Overall, this was really good.
My Score: A-

Quentin then took time to apologize for his earlier behavior that was in the heat of the moment. He said it was not his intention to disrespect anyone. Gotta give him credit for taking the time to do that.

Bottom 2
Hallelujah!!!! The Idol gods have finally heard our pleas...Joey is in the Bottom 2! Rayvon will have to pull out a miracle to be saved a 3rd time against her. I was really hoping that we would only have to listen to the Bottom 2 once :(

Joey Cook 
“My Funny Valentine” (from Babes in Arms)
This has to be on my all-time list of most hated songs. So the fact that Joey is singing it..well, you know what that means. This was just so painful to the ears, yet again. So painfully slow and pitchy. On the plus side, her hair doesn't look like a rat's nest tonight, it's actually smoothed out and straightened instead of being a frizzy weird mess.
My Score: C-

Jefferson Airplane’s “Somebody to Love”
Well, this wasn't her worst song, by any means. But was it good? Not in my opinion. If she could have toned down her weird growling way she pronounces her words, it might not have been too bad. At least it was upbeat, and was kind of entertaining.
My Score: B-

Rayvon Owen
The Doobie Brothers’ “Long Train Runnin'”
What a weird choice for him. Beginning was pitchy. Up against Joey, I don't think this will be enough to save him a third time.
My Score: B-

Willie Nelson’s “Always on My Mind”
OK, so I don't love this song...but man, Rayvon sang it beautifully! Wow! That was really nice. I think that might be his best one yet. And it couldn't come at a better time.
My Score: A

The Results
They said it was close: 52% to 48%...wow! Apparently Rayvon's fans are the only ones with Twitter accounts...

Twitter Save: Rayvon!!!! He must have 9 lives, because this is save #3 from the Bottom 2
Going Home: Joey!

Wow! Did not see that one coming tonight! So many times I've said she should be the one to go home, and time and time again, she manages to get tons of votes and praise online and not even be close to the bottom. Finally, we got her out while we could! If she would have been safe tonight, I think her fans would have rallied next week.

Next Week Predictions

Should be Bottom 2: Rayvon and Quentin
Should Go Home: Rayvon

Will be Bottom 2: Rayvon and Quentin
Will go Home: Quentin

I would like to say Rayvon will go home, but I really think Quentin's outburst is going to cost him. Rayvon may just pull out win #4.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: