Monday, April 27, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 8.19 & 8.20

Top 8

I don't normally comment on group numbers, but I have some thoughts on the performances we saw.

Guys: Josh, Sawyer, Cody - "Hey, Brother"
I immediately thought that this would have been a perfect song for either Josh or Sawyer to have done individually. It's a fun, current song that is right in their wheelhouse. However together, it had it's off moments, but overall was actually pretty good. Cody had some MAJOR pitch issues throughout the entire song.

Girls: Koryn, Kimberly, India, Meghan, Hannah - "Wake Me Up"
This was just painful on so many levels. I love this song, but it was not meant for any of these girls, clearly. So many pitch issues, except when the entire group came together and sang in unison. I had an a-ha moment during this performance though. And that is, that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE GIRLS is an oversinger. Every single one of them, in every single performance, pretty much just screams the entire song. India is a little better than the others, because she's done some pretty nice and restrained songs. But the others, with the biggest offenders being #1 Hannah, #2 Koryn, and #3 Meghan, start out on volume full blast, and then just keep going. It's beginning to get very predictable, and very nauseating.

Hannah - Team Blake
"We Don't Need Another Hero" by Tina Turner
She actually started this song nicely (she must have been guessing what I was going to write above). I still just can't get on board with her voice though. That said, she did what I wanted her to, and she kept this performance dialed down much more than usual. That, I can be happy about. I think this was probably her best performance yet. She used her vocal dynamics only as the song called for.
My Score: A

Joshua - Team Adam
"Fields of Gold" by Sting
I think is a much better song choice for him than we've been singing. I love just hearing him and his guitar. I think vocally, this was one of his strongest performances. He has slipped quite a lot in the past several weeks, and I attribute that 90% to his poor song choices. Clearly with a good song, he can sing beautifully, and so heartfelt. This was a good one. Was it just me or did it seem like he was singing for 10 minutes? Not complaining, it just seemed exceptionally long.)
My Score: A

Kimberly - Team Christina
"Creep" by Radiohead
Great, great song. Very interested to see where she goes with this. Christina says she's adding some jazz to it, so I don't think I'm going to like it. I think she could sing it like the rock song that it is, and still have it sound different than the original. I could have done without all of the incessant banging on the piano. I expected this to be a little more like Jena Irene's version that she did on American Idol last season. This was a very slow version, but she commanded the song like she always done. It wasn't as good as I would have liked, but she is still a vocal perfectionist.
My Score: B

Meghan - Team Blake
"Something" by The Beatles
She just really bores me. There wasn't anything special about this performance. She sings all the notes, I just don't know why I never connect with her. I really just couldn't wait for it to be over.
My Score: B

India - Team Christina
"Over the Rainbow" by Judy Garland
This song has been done, and done too many times.This was as beautiful as any. She looked gorgeous and she really took this over the rainbow. There were a few pitchy notes because she tried to force it a little too much. I liked that she really started it out slow, and she even did some of it a capella. It would have really been compelling if she didn't flub the pitch. But oh man, that ending was incredible.
My Score: A

Sawyer - Team Pharrell
"Simple Man" by Lynryd Skynyrd
This is a great song for him! He's kind of been in a "safe" song slump lately. This should let him really show us what he's made of, and remind of the talented kid we saw in his first audition. I love that just like the song title, it was just simple. His voice came back to him this week. I felt like in the last couple weeks he struggled at parts with his voice and pitch. This was a great performance. Loved it!
My Score: A+

Corey - Team Blake
"When I See You Smile" by Bad English
Blake is right, he needs to do something that will rattle some cages. He's another one who has really been playing things safe. This is a song that you wouldn't think of him doing right away, so I think that's a good thing. This song actually works well as a country song. He had a really nice big note at the end that really ignited the song. He did much better with his pitch in this song. I was a little bit worried for him hearing how off he was in the group performance. But he put that behind him and had a great performance. This seems like it could be a song that he could release and it would do really well. It was a really nice performance.
My Score: A

Koryn - Team Pharrell
"Girl on Fire" by Alicia Keyes
Classic oversinging by Koryn right from the beginning of the song. She sings so intensely with such a strong vibrato. It is REALLY annoying. The girl has a great voice, if she would just stop that incessant vibrato. A little bit is great, but you don't have to sing like you're shaking from below 0 temps at the South Pole. I mean, her vibrato actually manifests itself in physical shaking of her head and hands. I don't know how she can have any voice left when she's done singing the way she screams everything at the top of her lungs for the entire song. The talent is there, I just wish Pharrell would help her gain some control and learn how to use her power strategically.
My Score: B+

We were treated to an awesome performance of my favorite from last season: Matt McAndrew! I still don't know how he lost last season. He proved that if he was on this season, he would be the clear winner. He sounded amazing, and I can't wait to buy his new song, "Counting on Love"! It was so good, I was singing along with it after just one listen! Love you Matt!

Results

Bottom 3: Corey, Hannah, India
Gotta say I really didn't expect any of these 3 to be in the bottom. Surprisingly, Joshua was able to avoid the Bottom 3 after getting the save last week. I'm wondering how long it will take for Meghan to end up in the bottom.

Instant Save: India

Going Home: Hannah (Team Blake) and Corey (Team Blake)

The graphic of Twitter votes showed Hannah holding steady with only 21% of the votes. Between Corey and India it was so close. Corey stayed up by 1% the whole time. They take the graphic down, and Carson said it was the closest vote ever...and India came out on top! Wow, 2 Team Blakers out in one shot. Who thought Meghan would be his last person standing? I know I didn't.

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: