Wednesday, April 1, 2015

American Idol, Ep. 14.23

Top 8: Kelly Clarkson Week

New twist this week. We find out who the bottom 2 is. Both will sing, and America will take to Twitter to vote to save their favorite. Only 1 tweet per account will be counted. One person will be saved based on the last minute voting. This is kind of nice for the singers. If they find themselves in the bottom, they get one more chance to have a good performance to save themselves.

I love Kelly, and I love her advice and critiques. Just goes to show how valuable and skilled the former Idols are. They should just have former contestants always be the mentors and judges...seriously.

Nick Fradiani – “Catch My Breath”
Oh Nick...I wanted to love this. The notes at the beginning were so off. It was pretty painful actually. Once he got to the chorus it got a little better, but not much. I don't know what happened to him! He usually doesn't have pitch problems. Kelly is right, this is a very hard song to do. I don't think this was the right one for him to sing, even though he has performed a cover of it with his band. At least he finished strong. Unfortunately, singing in the frist slot, he will be easily forgettable.
My Score: B-

Jax – “Beautiful Disaster”

How did I know Jax would pick a song like this. I can't WAIT to see what she does with this beautiful song! I think this will be one of the most beautiful performances from Jax, and from anyone this season. However, she starts out with too much of that weird thing she does with her voice instead of just singing it normally. The second half of the song was better, except for the part that she kind of shouted. That's actually my favorite part of the song, but she kind of ruined it. Parts of this were good, parts weren't as good. I'm on the fence.
My Score: B

Tyanna Jones – “Mr. Know It All”
She chose this song as a response to her dealing with bullies. This was a really strong performance, and one of her best ones this season. She had some weird notes that didn't sound quite right, but she showed a lot of emotion. You could tell the lyrics really meant something to her. As good as this was, I think it still could have been a little better. There was something just a little off about the performance. I don't know if it should have been done a half a step up, or just with a little less vibrato, or something. Can't quite put my finger on it.
My Score: B+

Joey Cook – “Miss Independent”
Oh...no...make it stop...I just can't even. "Miss Independent" is a great song, and she totally f-d it up big time. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, the arrangements. I really almost started crying during this performance because it was so awful, and the realization that she is safe for another week just hit me. This made my ears hurt, it made my eyes hurt, it made my stomach hurt. Vocally just abusive to the ears. No other words for this monstrosity. Just when you think she can't be any worse...she tops herself. I can't stand jazz...it has no place on American Idol. I'm sorry.
My Score: F

Quentin Alexander – “Dark Side”
I think this was a good song choice for him. He did a really nice job. No one does "haunting" quite like him. He just has such a unique way of performing. This is called "Dark Side" but it was probably one of the lightest performances he's ever done. I liked how it built up and he kept the beat going at the end instead of keeping it all kind of one-note. He had one slight note crack at the end, but honestly the rest of it was so good, that doesn't matter. Clearly the best of the night.
My Score: A

Qaasim Middleton – “Stronger”
Why does he look like he has no shirt on? That's kind of weird. So he decided to strip this down and just do the guitar and not really have any backing music. Interesting version of this song. I don't think I quite like it. We're so used to the original. His vocals weren't great, he was kind of all over the place. I think he tries to throw in a bunch of runs and a squeal to hide the fact that he's not hitting the notes. It got a little more reckless as it went on. Not my favorite performance of his. This had potential, but he didn't nail it.
My Score: B-

Clark Beckham – “The Trouble With Love Is”
Every week, I seriously almost have a heart attack because hey wait to call his name until the very end. It kills me! I know he's going to be safe, but I fear the worst and fear that America forgot to vote for him. Luckily, we're safe another week, and he totally killed this! Was there any doubt? His voice is just absolutely beautiful. He really connected with his eyes this week. I seriously just melted when he just really went for it at the end. Just perfection. Idol hopefuls take note: that is how you do it.
My Score: A+

Bottom 2

Daniel Seavey – “Breakaway”
Poor guy has laryngitis. His voice was going to have a hard time with this song, and now the laryngitis is going to really add a lot of unintentional breaks. This is kind of a happy song, and he looked like he was almost in tears. He had a smile painted on, but you could tell he was kind of nervous about going home. He actually didn't do too badly. He didn't have the pitch issues he has in the past. The most distracting part was the back-up singers. They seemed to be clashing with him. Overall, it was a really nice performance.

Rayvon Owen – “Since U Been Gone”
This was so slow. I get that he was making it his own, but this is such an upbeat song, and he slowed it down way too much. Vocally, this was one of his better performances. He also toned the falsetto down which was nice. He finally listened to the judges and didn't focus on the falsetto.

I would have voted to save Daniel because I'm ready for Rayvon to go. However, for the sake of my bracket, I need Daniel to go so I don't fall behind. 2 people picked Rayvon to go, and I almost did. If Rayvon goes, they each get a key 5 points that I won't get.

Going Home: Daniel

I'm sad to see Daniel go, but it was his time. Clearly Rayvon is the better singer. Now Rayvon can go home next week..unless it's between him and Joey, then for the love of God please let it be Joey!

Next Week Predictions

Should be Bottom 3: Rayvon, Joey, Qaasim
Should Go Home: Joey

Will be Bottom 3: Rayvon, Quentin, Qaasim
Will Go Home: Qaasim


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: