Monday, May 4, 2015

Dancing with the Stars, Ep. 20.8 & 20.9

Week 8: America's Choice

Round 1: America's Choice - Solo Performances

Noah & Sharna - Tango
"Geronimo" by Sheppard
Definitely not the first song that comes to mind when you think of tango. I know the dance is supposed to be a little stiff, but he's so wooden and he stomps from one move to the next. I know some of that he can't help, but I have to think he should be able to get the dance to flow a little bit more than what he's showing. Again, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of choreography, it was all pretty much in the same area of the floor. I also agree with Len that it needed more intensity between the two of them.
Score: 31

Chris & Witney - Contemporary
"Lay Me Down" by Sam Smith
Witney came up with some really great choreography for this song. I was amazed how well Chris got into character. It was very believable (watch out Whitney). The lifts were gorgeous and so well-executed, especially the really high one! That was impressive! By far one of his best dances and best performances. Nicely done!
Score: 34

Riker & Allison - Viennese Waltz
"What Now" by Rihanna
I love all the sides of Riker. He is so good at everything! I felt like he might have been rushing it a little bit, but I just love watching him and watching his face when he dances. Allison wanted him to be intense and vulnerable. He tried, but it did come out more as a smile most of the time...up until the music ended and he stared down Allison! Whoa! That was the look! Gave me chills!
Score: 39

Robert & Kym - Contemporary
Well, the chemistry is definitely real...as if anyone has questioned it up until this point. Not a whole lot to say about this. It was fine, but it was pretty boring to be honest. I really hope people aren't voting for them just because of them and the "are they/aren't they". Now they throw in a kiss...I sure hope that doesn't bring them even more votes. His dancing is fine, but I'm ready for him to go.
Score: 33

Nastia & Sasha (Derek) - Paso Doble
"Centuries" by Fall Out Boy
This is perfect for them! The costumes, the song, everything was right on. Again, Derek joins in on the fun, and basically they have 2 trios this week! He played Caesar on his throne, and it was awesome. I loved seeing Nastia being so powerful in this dance. She has really grown since the beginning of this competition. She's not just the nice, sweet little gymnast anymore. This was so good! And she flipped Sasha by his neck, over her shoulder, what?!?! That was amazing! So intense!
Score: 36

Rumer & Val - Rumba
"Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps"
This is more of a tango song, but they turned it into a sexy rumba. I love watching their chemistry. Val always seems to have such amazing chemistry with his partners. This was a cute dance. I wouldn't say it was their best, but it was still good. It seemed really short for some reason, and it didn't feel like there was a whole lot to it. I wanted to see more!
Score: 40  (first perfect score of the season)

Round 2: Trios


Noah & Sharna & Emma - Salsa
I love the crazy silhouette at the beginning! Look at Noah being funky! Still a little stiff, and the girls are really the only ones doing the dancing, as he's just standing in the middle of them while they move around him. I literally don't think he moved more than 2 feet in the entire dance. To me, that's just unacceptable in this round. I liked the entertainment value and the interesting shapes they made with adding another person, but dance-wise, he's just not doing enough. There was a slight bobble when Sharna did a flip and he caught her and they were supposed to freeze...they were a little bit wobbly.
Score: 32

Chris & Witney & Lindsay - Paso Doble
"On the Outside" by Ellie Goulding
Not shocking that they picked Lindsay again, seeing as her and Witney are life-long best friends. Let's see if this dance compares to their trio dance with Alfonso last season. This is a great song, and I love the set...gorgeous! In the first dance we got to see Chris be vulnerable and in this dance it's the complete opposite...so much strength and power. He handled those women very well. It ended a little abruptly, but overall it was a great dance. And props to the production people with the very cool lightning hitting the floor and making it look like it was the ground splitting. I thought the judges were pretty harsh.
Score: 30

Riker & Allison & Brittany - Jazz
Oh my goodness! Oh. My. Goodness!!!!! Was that Derek on the floor? Seriously, this was Derek-amazing. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen...I was mesmerized! Major props to Allison on some very amazing choreography for these 3! Right from the runway jump onto the floor, he was so on fire! I don't know what more I can say about that, other than it was pure awesomeness!
Score: 39 (come on Len! I loved Tom's comment; "Every party needs a pooper, that's why we invited you!' lol)

Robert & Kym & Jenna - Samba
Love the sunglass look! This didn't really feel like a Samba to me. I don't know if it was because he was in a suit or what. It just didn't have a fun samba feel. I feel like a lot of the transitions between him and the 2 girls were really choppy and didn't flow very well. The choreography got, like Len said, "a bit messy".
Score: 29

Nastia & Derek & Sasha - Jive
Look, Derek's dancing! Slowly but surely, he's making his recovery. For the slow parts, she's able to dance with Derek, and on the fast parts, she dances with Sasha. Loved, loved, loved the concept for this dance. It was a love triangle: she was splitting her time having a great time with Sasha on one side of the wall, and then doing something completely different with Derek on the other side. In the middle, it's a tug-of-war pulling her from one side to the other. They eventually ended up together and did some great dancing, and cool flips onto the couch. Derek...I'll say it again...genius! So. incredibly. cool. Amazing! I need to watch it again! And like Tom said, it was the best broken toe dancing you'll ever see.
Score: 40

Rumer & Val & Artem - Paso Doble
OK, literally can't wait to see this! This is an explosive combo with this combination of guys and this dance style. Oh to be Rumer right now...She moved so flawlessly between them. She was sexy, flirty, and so strong! Great choreography, what a performance!
Score: 40

Week 8 Judges' Leaderboard

Rumer & Val - 80
Riker & Allison - 78
Nastia & Derek - 76
Chris & Witney - 64
Noah & Sharna - 63
Robert & Kym - 62

Clearly there are 3 great dancers (were 4, with Willow), and there are 3 dancers just trying to keep up. I hope and pray that people vote for the right people. We need Rumer, Riker, and Nastia in the semi-finals. If any of them go home, it is a travesty. Get out there and vote people!

The Results

In Jeopardy: Chris & Witney, Riker & Allison, Robert & Kym
Going Home: Robert & Kym, Chris & Witney

Whew! Almost had a heart attack there! Why do they always have to have Riker in Jeopardy? For once I was hoping he would just be safe from the beginning so I wouldn't have to worry. But thank goodness people voted! This was a very satisfying double elimination. I actually would have rather had Noah go just because he's not improving and he's not up to the caliber of the rest. I feel like he's getting the pity vote. However, I was very ready to see Robert go. I would have probably saved Chris just because he is improving and I think he really deserves to be there. That said, Riker, Nastia, and Rumer are all save and that is all that matters! Those 3 NEED to be in the finals. I sure hope that the pity vote wears off next week.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: