Monday, May 11, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 8.23 & 8.24

Top 5

First of all, can I just say how much I love that they had Nate Reuss back to sing his new song that I am absolutely in love with!

Joshua - Team Adam
"I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt
I get it that the slow songs are what he does best, but man, some of his performances are just such a snoozefest! They just seem to be missing something, intensity or something. His voice is great, I just wish his performances weren't so boring.
My Score: B+

"When I Paint My Masterpiece" by The Band
Never heard this song, but I'm glad it's a little bit more upbeat. I tend to like his more folksy and upbeat songs a little more than his boring stuff.This was a nice, fun performance. His voice sounded great.
My Score: A

Koryn - Team Pharrell
"One" by U2
I think this is one of the most subdued performances we've seen from her (at least at the beginning of the song). Normally she is just all out in beast mode. If she could sing like this all the time, I might actually like her. Still wish she would take the key up a notch and not sing so low.
My Score: A-

"Oh Mary Don't You Weep" by Aretha Franklin
This song actually worked very well for her. I liked the strong beats, and the low notes actually suited the song very well, which of course, is perfect for her. She really belted it out at the end, and just wow...so much power!

Meghan - Team Blake
"I'm Not the Only One" by Sam Smith
And we see yet ANOTHER side of Meghan. This is VERY different from what we've seen from her all season. She, like Koryn, actually toned it down and sang instead of shouted. This really was beautiful. It was very beautiful ...until the end, when she started to scream and her voice got really ragged from over-forcing the notes out. I was ready to give her a perfect score, until the end.
My Score: A-

"Tennessee Whiskey" by George Jones
Again, completely contrasting songs from Meghan. Someone please tell me what kind of an artist she wants to be again? This performance was OK, but I guess I just don't care for her country songs. I thought she was quite pitchy in a few places.
My Score: B

India - Team Christina
"Gravity" by Sara Bareilles
Beautiful performance, but also guilty of being kind of boring.
My Score: A

"Earth Song" by Michael Jackson
I didn't love this performance. She sang it well, but it just didn't do it for me. I'm not quite sure what it was.
My Score: B+

Sawyer - Team Pharrell
"For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield
Great, just great...as usual. Such an old song, but somehow when he sings it, it still sounds fun and youthful. Loved it!
My Score: A

"1000 Years" by Christina Perri
This is cool to see him sing not only something modern, but something that isn't a folk song. And a song originally sung by a female, as well. Of course, I am immediately reminded of Matt McAndrew singing this as his audition song last year. You know, in a way, they almost sound similar on this song. Normally, I wouldn't think that Matt and Sawyer sound anything alike, but they kind of do on this song. Again, like last week, we got to see him move around a little bit more and without his guitar. He is still able to command the song without it. I don't know if he would have been able to do that early on in the competition. It just shows how far he's come. Another beautiful performance. Can we just crown him the winner now and get it over with?
My Score: A+

The Results

Bottom 2: India (Team Christina) and Koryn (Team Pharrell)
Wow, I'm shocked Joshua survived again! And who is voting for Meghan?

India's "save me" song was REALLY painful...ouch! Koryn pulled out the usual and this wasn't even close. Except the Twitter votes look to be 52% Koryn and 48% India.

Going Home: India



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: