Monday, May 12, 2014

Dancing With The Stars, Ep, 18.9

Semi-Finals: American Icons
Guest Judge: Kenny Ortega

So, we are experiencing some bad weather in our neck of the woods, and all of the local channels are covering all the severe weather and warnings. As a result, I can't watch the show! They are kind enough to put the show in "picture-in-picture" but there's no sound. So, I can't really evaluate the dances, because it just doesn't have the same effect without the music. I can only report on what the scores were as they showed on the screen. I can also tell who is in Jeopardy and who is safe by whether or not they are really happy :)

As soon as I can watch the entire show, either OnDemand or online, I will update this post with all the normal details.

UPDATED 5/13/14: Thank goodness for OnDemand! I am able to watch the entire show...only a day late :(
So, now I will add my critiques of the dances.

Candace & Mark (72 total points)

Vienese Waltz
It's amazing to see the turnaround that Candace has made. She flowed across the floor so effortlessly. There were a couple of awkward foot placements, but overall, it was a really nice dance.
Score: 34

Jazz
Mark really did an amazing job with the choreography on this one! They were completely in sync on every move. I loved the chair work, and all the intricate steps and hand movements. That was so good!
Score: 38

Charlie & Sharna (76 total points)

Foxtrot
I was actually really bored during this dance. His solo at the end was really interesting, and he did a really good job with that. I think technically the whole dance was done well, but the music and the choreography itself was a little dull to me.
Score: 40

Samba
Charlie's gettin' funky! He looks a little strange...can't quite pinpoint what it is. I think he looks a little girly doing some of the moves. I actually thought he would do a little better. He's been such a surprise this season and always comes out doing better than I think he will. This was good, but compared to his competition, it was lacking a little bit. The entertainment factor was good, but I think the choreography could have been a little more funky.
Score: 36

Amy & Derek (78 total points)

Look at Amy in her new running feet! It's amazing that the different feet she's had all dance so differently.

Quickstep
She looks so happy dancing in her new feet! She is positively glowing! I never thought about her not really bouncing with her other feet. She most definitely was bouncing all over the place with this Quickstep! That was fabulous! Wow! She was like bursting at the seams with glee. That was so fun to see.
Score: 39

Jazz
Another prop...this time a table. I LOVE the little walk thing she did across the edge of the table....that was so cool! OMG that was cool...and that was cool! Holy crap I can't even type fast enough to talk about how cool everything is! Derek is a genius and NEVER ceases to amaze me! That boy will never run out of ideas.
Score: 39

James & Peta (76 total points)

ChaChaCha
I love the costumes for this dance. Their legs are in sync with every step. He actually channeled Michael Jackson I think! I was surprised how much his moves actually looked like Michael! This was a whole different side of James that we haven't seen before. Peta's choreography for this was amazing. It had to be challenging trying to put Michael Jackson moves into a ChaCha!
Score: 40

Rumba
How cute is he?! I would never picture a Rumba to "Islands In The Stream" and the cowboy country outfits, but James makes everything look good. I would have loved to see what he would have done with a song more suited to the Rumba, so they could make it a little more sexy and sensual. I think because of the song, she went a different direction with the choreography. I think they should have slowed the song down because it made the dance feel really rushed.
Score: 36

Meryl & Maks (80 total points)
Oh Maks! I've never seen him like this before! He's so worried about letting Meryl down, and he flat out said he has the best dancer on the show. That's never happened before. He had such a creative block that he was asking her to help...that's also never happened before. I've said it before and I'll say it again: he's SO SMITTEN! And now he's handing out kisses left and right and scampering up the steps. He's a completely different person this season.

Jive
Maks actually makes a pretty decent Elvis. I like him better without the sideburns though. They looked like they were having so much fun in this routine. It looked like they completely forgot about it being a competition and were just there to put on a show and to have fun. She didn't miss a step and was with him all the way.
Score: 40

Viennese Waltz
I'm not sure how this song was picked as an American Icon dance, but whatever. It was beautiful! When he twirled her with her leg out, that was amazing with that dress. Another perfect example of their out of this world chemistry. Stunning and absolute perfection!
Score: 40

The Results:
In Jeopardy: Amy & Derek, Charlie & Sharna, Meryl & Maks (all 3 Olympians...hmmm)
Poor Peta...every week she looks like she's going to be physically ill when she's waiting to hear the results. She almost looks like she's going to pass out and fall over.

It just goes to show the level of the competition this season: the scores among those in Jeopardy would have been leaders on the leaderboard any other season.

Going Home: Charlie & Sharna
I had a feeling going into tonight that it might be Charlie. Candice has been doing much better, and James is just so phenomenal...and gorgeous. Charlie has gotten lower scores lately, and his routines haven't been as memorable as the others. Sad to see him go, but I would be sad to see anyone go at this point.

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: