Thursday, May 8, 2014

American Idol, Ep. 13.34 & 13.35

Top 4 Theme: Love--Break-ups and Make-ups

Caleb

Break-up Song
Bon Jovi - "You Give Love a Bad Name"
I love this song, and it's perfect for him! His voice sounds so perfect on this song. That chorus was killer! It was cool to see him leave the stage and go out to the judges and into the audience. That was awesome! On a side note, his hair was wild tonight!
My Score: 10

Dedication
Creedance Clearwater Revival - "Travelin' Band", dedicated to his band back home
Whoa, that song was really a rockin'! That was really fun! I would totally buy a ticket to his concert because it would be totally awesome. He is such a performer, and he is totally ready for stardom. That last StevenTyler-esque scream was ridiculous! So good!
My Score: 10

Make-up Song
Paul McCartney - "Maybe I'm Amazed"
I'm so glad he decided to do one ballad tonight. Otherwise, he would have heard it from the judges. This is a great song choice for him. His voice sounds amazing. That's what's so great about him: he has a true rocker voice that can just blow the roof off the place, but then he also has a softer, more vulnerable side that lets the real beauty of his voice shine. Holy crap, he just hit the highest note I've ever heard him hit, and it was FLAWLESS! Absolutely beautiful! I think that might be one of my favorite performances of his. Can we just crown him the winner right now, please?! Another thing that truly stands out about Caleb is that his voice is so unique that you would absolutely know it was him on the radio.
My Score: 10

Overall Score for the Night: 10!!!!!!

Jessica

Break-up Song
Kelly Clarkson - "Since U Been Gone"
She started out a little flat on the low notes. I'm not sure why she started in such a low key. She can reach those high notes, I think it would have been better in a higher key. The chorus sounded really good. She really got into this party anthem and was rocking it out, but it just lacked something for me. Not really sure what it was. And then, the very last note wasn't really in tune. I really wanted to like this.
My Score: 7

Dedication
Pink - "So What", dedicated to all the "haters"
This was much better than the first song. I didn't really believe her "I'm gonna start a fight" scream at the beginning...it was kind of wimpy. Other than that, it was a really good performance. I loved her throwing down the mic stand at the end. I think she could have really dug in and rocked this out a little bit harder than she did, but it was still really good.
My Score: 8

Make-up Song
Lady Gaga - "You And I"
I love this song, and I actually think it's right up her alley. This was by far her best performance of the night. It had just the right amount of rock and just the right amount of country in it. I really enjoyed that. Unfortunately, I don't see there being any way she makes it out of being eliminated. I can't see any of the other 3 going home, and what she did with her 3 songs just isn't going to cut it, I don't think.
My Score: 9

Overall Score for the Night: 8

Alex


Break-up Song
Alex Clare - "Too Close"
I love this stripped-down version at the beginning. I love the beat he's creating. He was really rocking it out. I wasn't sure this song would be good for his voice. But, what was I thinking? He sounds good on everything! I definitely think I like his version better than the original. And that ending?! Whoo! I got the goosies! That riff was so unexpected! How creative! I really love to hear what he does with his songs every week. He is so musically smart.
My Score: 9

Dedication
Jason Mraz - "I'm Yours", dedicated to his girlfriend (and everyone else who's supported him)
No doubt, this is a great song for him. Not much to say other than it was just pure perfection. It was beautiful and bubbly, just how that song should be sung. No need to embellish it, it's perfect just the way it is.
My Score: 10

Make-up Song
Coldplay - "Yellow"
I wouldn't necessarily think of this song as a "make-up" song...but who cares...it's an AWESOME song by an AWESOME band. I love what he did with the song. It was really beautiful. I loved the way his voice did the inflections into the falsetto that are so characteristic and notable on this song. He made a few cool little changes with the song that I really liked. The judges are probably going to criticize him for not changing it enough, just like they did the last song. I don't care because it was awesome!
My Score: 10

Overall Score for the Night: 10!!!

Jena

Break-up Song
Pat Benatar - "Heartbreaker"
Lots of screaming going on here. I really wish she would actually "sing" some of her songs instead of just screaming them. Why does everyone have to love her so much? I just don't get it. Sure, she's a good performer, but her voice is so scratchy, and it just kind of grates on my every nerve. I try to be objective, and find good things about her voice, but it's kind of hard. Even though this song was so upbeat, and she rocked it out, I was just kind of bored with it. I think she needs to do more with her songs. Her performances are so predictable any more.
My Score: 7

Dedication
Lady Gaga - "Bad Romance", dedicated to her friends
Strange dedication. Maybe this should have been her "Break-up Song". This is such a great song...and she is killing it...but NOT in a good way. I don't even know where she's going with this. The chorus was pretty good, but the verses needed some work. The whole song sounded really chaotic. I really started liking the second half of the song. It either got a lot better, or it just started growing on me. Not bad, but I don't think they will say it's her best ever, that's for sure.
My Score: 8

Make-up Song
Elvis - "Can't Help Falling In Love"
I'm glad she's finally back at the piano and is doing a more subdued song. These are the types of performances of hers that I can actually tolerate, and sometimes even...dare I say it...like. I wasn't crazy about some of the strange notes she sang. The end of the song was really strong. Still not going to make me say she should win or anything, though. What the heck is J.Lo doing going up on stage to hug her? Seriously? It was NOT that good. I might be in the minority, but at least I know my Mom will agree with me :)
My Score: 8

My Bottom 2: Jena, Jessica
Most Likely will be the Bottom 2: Jessica, Alex
My Pick to Go Home: Jena
Most Likely will Go Home: Jessica




The Results

Bottom 2: Jessica & Alex (we assume these are the bottom 2 because they were the last 2 standing after Caleb and Jena were told they were in the Top 3)

Going Home: Jessica

No big surprise there. I would have been absolutely shocked if anyone but Jessica went home. I'm not too happy about Jena being the last girl standing. I would have much rather it been Jessica.

Next stop is hometown visits for the top 3.



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: