Thursday, May 1, 2014

American Idol, Ep. 13.32 & 13.33

Top 5: America's Request

I am so excited to see Jason Mraz! I love his music, and he's so cool and hilarious. I think he will have a lot of helpful tips for them.

Alex
The Neighborhood's "Sweater Weather"
His voice sounds so much like the original! I love Jason's suggestion of moving the microphone higher to force him to look up and not slouch down so much. Hello! Why didn't Randy (or someone) think of that sooner? I am loving this performance. It's similar to the original, but it's still him doing his own style. I think he sounds great! This is one of my favorite performances of his! I don't know why the judges continue to tell him to bring more. I think he brought it just fine.
My Score: 10

A Great Big World's "Say Something"
Whoa, he's sitting down! That's a new one. It totally suits this song. This song is so popular right now, so I think people will either really love that he's doing the song, or they will be really upset if he changes it too much. It sounds like he's keeping it pretty true to the original. He sounds great, it's a great song, and it's a perfect match for his voice (as Keith said it was a "perfect marriage"). I love that you can really hear Alison Iraheta's voice in the background (yes, that's former American Idol, top 3 singer from season 8 who's been singing background vocals this season). I loved that performance. One of the best of the night. He was so sincere and you can tell he was really feeling it.
My Score: 10

Overall Score: 10

Caleb
Aerosmith's "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing"
On a positive note, I think he will sound amazing on this song. On the downside, I'm not a huge fan of this song. Ouch, those first few notes were not in tune. That is so unlike him! I'm surprised he started out in such a high key. The song goes really high, and starting out that high seems like it's going to get tough at the end. I kind of like this more slowed-down version. When the music really kicked in, he really hit his stride. His big, high note was HUGE! The 2nd half of the song is way better than the 1st half. It ended up being a pretty good performance. I was really worried at the beginning. He looked really uncomfortable, and it looked like he could tell he was out of tune. Thank goodness he pulled it together in the end.
My Score: 8

Whitesnake's "Still of the Night"
I'm not loving this song choice. There are so many other amazing songs that he would have killed. Luckily, he can make anything sound good, so this was no problem for him. He absolutely killed the screams. I don't know that besides James Durbin, if we've ever had a true, true rocker like Caleb on American Idol. He's branching out into uncharted territory on this show. And he's slaying it one song at a time. Not my favorite, but his performances are unmatched in this competition. He is so ready to record music and perform shows...he is a superstar.
My Score: 10

Overall Score: 9

Jessica
Christina Perri's "Human"
This is a beautiful song, and I think it will show even another side of Jessica that we haven't seen before. The song started off so soft and heartfelt. I loved how she built it up to the chorus, and I'm glad just the piano was playing and it wasn't a big production. It allowed her to show off the strength of her crystal clear voice. That was such a beautiful performance. I actually got tears in my eyes and I think it's because she was feeling the song so much. If the judges even have anything negative to say about that I will KNOW that they are just out to see her fail and find anything they can to pick on her.
My Score: 10

Lana Del Ray's "Summertime Sadness"
Wow! I would have NEVER thought of this song for her. But, holy crap, what an amazing song choice! She looks absolutely gorgeous in that red dress! She looked the most comfortable without her guitar than she ever has. She really stepped things up with this performance I think. I really hope she doesn't go home. She's been in the bottom the last few weeks. I hope this was enough to keep her around. I absolutely love her version. It's better than the original! I've said it so many times, but I've never heard someone's voice sound so completely different depending on what genre she is singing. It's incredible. Again, it was a "perfect marriage".
My Score: 10

Overall Score: 10

Sam
Ed Sheeran's "Sing"
Another Ed Sheeran song for Sam. This one's going to be a little more difficult than "Lego House" was. This one has some crazy fast lyrics. I would actually love to hear Jason sing this song, or maybe a duet with both Jason and Sam, because Jason is known for his "wordplay" and this song totally could have been written by him. I really hate what Sam is wearing tonight. I hate the hat, I hate the shirt, and I hate the boots. Seriously, who dressed him? I think he sounded great. I like how he made it more into a dance song than even the original is. I think his stage presence was really good this week. You could tell he really connected with the song. I only wish he would have put the rapping part of the song in there and the main part of the chorus.
My Score: 8

The Fray's "How to Save a Life"
This is another good pick by America for him. Again, he sounded really good. It's been a pretty good night for Sam. His only problem is that after all the others have sung, his performances aren't all that memorable. That said, I loved what he did with this song. His voice sounded great. I liked Harry's comment about him always singing "one note"...he doesn't have the dynamics of loud and soft, it's all just the same.
My Score: 9

Overall Score: 8.5

Jena
Young the Giant's "My Body"
I actually don't know this song, but I think she did a really good job. As far as "Jena" performances go, this ranks up at the top. She screamed it, but not as much as she normally does.
My Score: 8

Amy Winehouse's "Valerie"
Amy Winehouse is a great choice for Jena's voice...just not this song. I would have loved to hear her sing "Rehab" or "Back to Black"...oh man, the more I think about it, her singing "Back to Black" would have been AMAZING! But we're stuck with "Valerie" instead. This was OK, but I didn't love it. FINALLY...the judges give her some harsh (sort of) criticism!
My Score: 7

Overall Score: 7.5

Jena, Alex, Sam
American Authors' "Best Day of My Life"
I so love this song right now! I love singing it loud when I'm driving. I think this is the best trio of the show so far. Other trios have been pretty awful. These 3 actually sounded really good together. Jena toned it down a little and wasn't so overpowering. That was so much fun to watch! Those 3 should consider making a group...it was THAT good! Wow!

Caleb & Jessica
The Rolling Stones' "Beast of Burden"
These 2 are great together. I love their chemistry on stage. He actually makes her smile. Their voices compliment each other really well. Another great "group" performance tonight! That's a first....pretty much all the other duets and trios have been vocal disasters. Not so tonight. That was really good!

My Bottom 2: Jena, Sam
Most Likely will be the Bottom 2: Sam, Jessica
My Pick to Go Home: Jena
Most Likely will Go Home: Sam
I am so torn on who I think will actually go home. Will it be Jessica since she's been in the bottom the last couple weeks? Will it be her because the last 2 to go have been from Alabama, and she's the last remaining one from Alabama? Or will it be Sam because he was already the lowest vote-getter once, and maybe his time has finally run out? He didn't do bad by any means, but Jessica was better, so maybe he goes, even though he hasn't been in the bottom since he was voted out and saved. Or will we be in for a shocker and it will be Alex? He has gotten some criticism in the past couple weeks, are people bored with him? The only "safe" ones are Caleb and Jena, I think. I think these 2 will be the final 2, as much as I hate to say it. I love Caleb and I want him to win, and Jena is my least favorite. That's going to be a killer final 2 knowing that one I love or 1 I dislike will win. I hate finales like that!




The Results:

Special Twist: 
The Idols have to choose:
1) Lowest vote-getter goes home tonight or
2) Nobody goes home tonight, and 2 go home next week

The vote had to be unanimous, and the vote was 2 and 3. So that meant that the results would be the same, and the lowest vote getter would go home.

Bottom 2: Don't know...they didn't tell us

Going Home: Sam


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: