Monday, March 28, 2016

The Voice, Ep. 10.9

The Knockout Round: Night 1

This year's key advisor for all 4 teams is Miley Cyrus. I actually think she will have a lot of helpful tips for the singers. On a side note, it was announced that Miley will be joining Adam, Blake, and most likely Alicia Keys next season as a coach! This is very early for them to make an announcement about next season because we're only about halfway through this season.

Team Adam

Owen Danoff vs. Ryan Quinn
Owen - "She's Always a Woman" by Billy Joel
He didn't really do anything different or interesting with the song - it was pretty true to the original. That said, he sang it very well. I don't know that I was excited about it. It was a little on the boring side just because it was so predictable. I'm hoping that will give Ryan the edge. He did get into it a little more towards the end, which was nice to see, but even that was a little boring.
Ryan - "Drops of Jupiter" by Train
I wish he had done a different song, since this one has been done so many times. But really, he can sing anything. I just love the tone of his voice. I feel like he gave this way more emotion than what Owen brought. I love his upper register. Those long held-out notes at the end were incredible. He killed it. Hoping for a Ryan win!!!
WINNER: Owen
STEAL: Ryan is stolen by Christina! Thank you, Christina! He did not deserve to go home yet. Christina is putting together a very strong team for herself this season.

Team Blake

Angie Keilhauer vs. Paxton Ingram
Angie - "Take Your Time" by Sam Hunt
It's interesting the way she tried to sing through what Sam Hunt actually kind of speaks. It sounded better in the rehearsal, I thnk. I like that she tried to make it her own, but I don't know if I loved it. Once she got to the 2nd half of the song, she picked up the tempo and it got a lot better.
Paxton - "Hometown Glory" by Adele
This isn't my favorite performance of his. He sounds pretty good, but he sounds like he's really singing in his throat.
WINNER: Paxton

Katie Basden vs. Lacy Mandigo
Katie - "Gypsy" by Fleetwood Mac
I really like her voice. She did a lot of really great things in that performance. I think she could have even done more with it, though.
Lacy - "Zombie" by The Cranberries
I love this song. This is a very tough song to pull off. There is something really cool about her voice. I think she did a pretty good job with this. Just like Katie, I think she could have taken it just a bit further.
WINNER: Katie
STEAL: Lacy is stolen by Pharrell (Adam also pushed to steal)

Team Christina

Alisan Porter vs. Daniel Passino
I can't believe she put these 2 against each other! They are both way too good to lose. I sure hope there's a steal.
Alisan - "River" by Joni Mitchell
This is the first time we've heard her sing something so slow. She really does have an amazing voice. I didn't love this song, but she sang it well. I will be shocked if she isn't picked. They've kind of been giving her the winner's edit all season long. So even if Christina doesn't pick her, I can gurantee there will be a steal.
Daniel - "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" by The Temptations
Yuck! Another old song that has been done way too much. His charisma on stage really suits this song. It was a great performance, even if I don't like the song. He's been a consistent performer all season, and it's just a shame that Christina had to put him against Alisan.
WINNER: Alisan

Team Pharrell

Hannah Huston vs. Malik Heard
Hannah - "The House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals
This song has been done so many times, but at least it's a good song and it seems like everyone who does it does something new and interesting things with it. She's an incredible vocalist. I loved how she kind of scooped her phrases. I could have done with the weird hand gestures, but man, did her voice make up for it. She absolutely murdered the song from the middle to the end. She belted it out, and for others it would have come out as a scream or a shriek, but she was singing it out full voice. That was an incredible, epic performance. Wow!
Malik - "Isn't She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder
Seriously?! Can we please retire the Stevie Wonder song catalog? I can't handle these songs done over and over and over and over. There are millions of songs out there, people! I've really like  Malik up to this point, but this song just didn't do it for me. And having to follow Hannah was a tough task. I felt like he was pitchy in some places which is not like what we've heard from him before. There is just no way that this was anywhere near as good as what Hannah did.
WINNER: Hannah

Emily Keener vs. Shalyah Fearing
Emily - "A Big Yellow Tax" by Joni Mitchell
Ugh! I hate this song. I didn't think Emily should have won her battle, and I wasn't impressed with this performance either. The song didn't help, but I don't think her voice is that great. I can definitely say that I'm not a fan of Emily's. I really hated what she did at the end. She went extremely high, and then in the next phrase dropped it way to the basement in a weird, fake voice. That was just weird.
Shalyah - "A Broken Wing" by Martina McBride
These singers really need to branch out because the constant repetition of the same songs is getting really old. Just a couple weeks ago, Tristan McIntosh sang this on American Idol. Shalyah's got a great voice, but I think another song would have been better for her. There were too many really low parts. The best part of her voice is her upper notes. Once she got to that part of her voice, she really belted it out and it was really strong.
WINNER: Emily
STEAL: Shalyah is stolen by Adam
I really can't believe that Emily won again. I do not see what they are seeing in her. Adam got a great steal. She beat Emily hands down.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: