Thursday, March 24, 2016

American Idol, Ep. 15. 21

The Top 5 perform and we find our Top 4. And guess who's performing tonight! One of my faves - David Cook! Woohoo! And also Katharine McPhee! Great night of music! The singers will be doing Sia songs and American rock songs. Sia will also be performing her new single.

David rocked as usual. Katharine sang so beautifully - also as usual - again, proving that she should have been the winner of Season 5.

American Rock Songs

La’Porsha — Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead or Alive”
Could be interesting. Look at her hair this week! t took 15 hours to do that! Whoa! I So, what will she do with this song? I think she's proven that she can pretty much sing anything. This would probably never be her first choice to sing, but she did a pretty good job with it. There wasn't much different about her version from the original. It might have been nice to see her do something a little more interesting with it.
My Grade: B+



MacKenzie — Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me”
OK, so I'm so screwed again with my bracket. I really felt like he was going to be in the bottom 2...up until the episode started, and then I started getting a really bad feeling that it was going to Dalton. Oh dear. I really like this song, so I hope he can do something interesting with it. So far it's starting out too slow and the crowd is trying to clap along and they are really off time. His pitch is a little off, and now it seems really off. Come on MacKenzie...you can do better than this! He changed up the melody a little bit and I'm not sure I liked it that much. This was really just OK for me. It seemed like it was trying to go somewhere but it just didn't.
My Grade: C+



Trent — Z.Z. Top’s “Sharp Dressed Man”
This is going to be very interesting. He turned it into a sort of jazz song. Very, very different than the original. But, it kind of works for him. He stuck with that until the chorus and then it got more like the original, which somehow still worked for him. I actually really liked this performance.
My Grade: A



Bottom 2


Dalton and Sonika. And there we have it. Dalton in the bottom 2. Yikes. I wish my gut would have kicked in 5 minutes before the show and not 5 minutes in, or I could have picked up some points on my opponents this week! I'm devastated that Dalton is in the bottom. As much as I like Sonika and think that she has an amazing voice, I will be extremely devastated if Dalton goes home before her. She's been in the bottom 3 weeks in a row now and was saved twice. It really isn't fair for her to stay any longer. I really hope this is only a matter of people thinking that he was safe. If he makes it through, hopefully his votes will rebound next week. Not gonna lie...I'm pretty worried right now. Not only that, but I am dying to hear him sing his Sia song, so if we get cheated out of that, I'm going to be upset. Aah! I can't take this right now!

Going Home: Sonika
She doesn't even get to sing at all. What a bummer. I really think they should let everyone sing and eliminate them at the end of the night. I mean, she worked all week on 2 songs and didn't get to perform either of them. She's been amazing and she has such a talent. I hope for nothing but the best for her.

Dalton — The Beach Boys’ “God Only Knows”
This song has been done so many times in the past year or so on The Voice. I don't think I want to hear Dalton do this song. Surely there was something else he could have done. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and do an awesome version of it, but my first thoughts are that this just isn't the right song choice for him to have a big moment on. He needs some big moments on every show from here on out if he can even think of beating La'Porsha and Trent. And then...come to find out he wanted to do "Seven Nation Army" and they talked him out of it! Come on! That would have been such a better song! He argued and argued with Scott, but they talked him out of it and now I'm so bummed! This song is not going to win it for him...that one had potential to do that. If he can completely nail the vocals on this he might prove people wrong that he can actually sing, but the song is just so boring I don't think it's going to make people want to vote for him like the other song would. And as I feared, it's way too slow and isn't going anywhere (which is what Scott's complaint about the other song was). His voice sounds great, but oh those background singers are really ruining it...yet again. Other than Alison Iraheta, they need to can the rest. His voice was beautiful, but I can't wait for the next song. This is definitely not one of my favorite performances of his. I sure hope the judges like it because it was kind of a snoozefest and not what he would record for himself. Luckily, the judges had really positive feedback which can help gain some votes.
My Grade: B




Sia Songbook

La’Porsha — “Elastic Heart”
This is one of my favorite songs of Sia's. I think La'Porsha is going to absolutely nail it. I don't know that I loved the drums. I think the production kind of took away from the message and overpowered her (tough to do, I know). I felt like she was kind of straining and screaming in parts, which is so not like her. She usually has so much control and so much true power that it doesn't come off as screaming. I didn't think her vocals were actually 100% on pitch for the whole thing. I'm kinda hoping others heard that as well.
My Grade: B-



MacKenzie — “Titanium”
If MacKenzie wants to stick around, he's going to have to do much, much better than his first song. This is a BIG song, and he's not a big singer. His voice is actually pretty meek, so that could be interesting on a song like this. Right off the bat, it's so much better than the first song. He's using the best part of his voice where he really excels. I like what he did with the song. This one worked a lot better being slowed down. The extra high notes were a stretch, but he got them for the most part. That was a tough song, and I thought he really gave it a great effort.
My Grade: A-



Trent — “Chandelier”
I literally can't wait to hear Trent do this song! Everyone knows this song, so what is he going to do with it? I think we could get some very interesting faces as he attempts to hit the extremely high notes in this song. I'm really starting to like Trent more and more with each song he sings. I wasn't seeing what everyone else was seeing in him in the early rounds. He's grown so much since then and he's really coming into his own and it's really exciting to watch. Looks like J. Lo's going to be in tears on this one. I think he's really holding back and he could be putting even more into it. Normally it's the opposite and I feel like he should pull back. Maybe he's just saving it up because it's starting to grow now. Wow, that was truly impressive. Well done, Trent! Not just anyone can pull that song off. I will say that he's no Jordan Smith (winner of The Voice last season who blew everyone away with this song in his audition - watch that here), but it was still a great performance, none the less.
My Grade: A



Dalton — “Bird Set Free”
If there's a silver lining to Dalton being in the bottom 2, it's that he gets to close the show in the "pimp" spot. I hope he can blow everyone away and leave them all dying to vote for him. This is a great song, and I think he can pull it off. Crossing my fingers that he has the best performance of the night. What a profound connection he has to this song and with Sia - she's bi-polar too. Right when he started, I got chills. You can tell that he really connects to the song. I don't know how anyone can say that he doesn't have a strong voice or that he can't sing in tune. Funny that the lyrics in the song say "I don't care if I sing off-key." I'm getting even more chills! Such powerful lyrics and he's really delivering them. He actually genuinely broke down on the last couple notes...it just hit him. And now I'm in tears! That was amazing! Love you Dalton! He needed that performance in the worst kind of way. I'm so glad that the judges were in agreement with me that it was amazing.
My Grade: A+



Vote for Dalton!!! You get 10 votes per method...just do it!














Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: