Thursday, March 10, 2016

American Idol, Ep. 15.19

Updated post with performance videos!

Tonight's Theme: "Most Performed Songs"
2 words: "Um....why?" Seriously? They couldn't come up with anything better? Looking at the list of songs each singer will be performing, I'm only really excited to see Dalton take on "Eleanor Rigby". David Cook anyone? I remember very clearly how well David slayed that song, and I can only hope that it will be great for Dalton as well. MacKenzie choosing "You Are So Beautiful" makes me so sad. I absolutely hate that song. He better rearrange the heck out of this song if he wants it to be any good. He's in danger of going home, and a slow, unimpressive song like this could be what sends him out the door. Heaven forbid he should end up in the bottom 3, the song sung like the original will never be enough to save him  - especially since the judges told him he should have done more with his Whitney song last week. I'm a little worried because he was excited about that song and how much he changed it, and then they said he should have done more. Last week he teased another exciting song choice for this week, and then I see what it is. I don't know...crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

So, there are 8 singers left, and 3 of them are doing the Beatles - that's almost half!

Before we get to the performances, I have to ask - and I never comment on the judges' clothes - but what on earth is J. Lo wearing! She's basically wearing a silk bra, and I'm not even joking. The bra had a tiny piece of fabric covering her stomach, but there are cutouts on both sides, so it's not much. Wow, really J. Lo?

Duets

La'Porsha & Trent - "See You Again" by Charlie Puth & Wiz Khalifa
It's not surprising that these 2 were put together. Every single poll I've seen in the last 2 weeks has these 2 at #1 and #2. They are also 2 very powerful soul singers. I'm not sure how their voices are going to sound together, though. It's a little strange to hear the guy taking the higher part. I kind of liked them both singing/rapping Wiz's part. There's some nice moments, and I might be the only person to hear it, but I'm hearing pitch issues with both of them. They don't seem to be on top of their games - but I'm sure they'll bring it for their solos. It was good, but it wasn't perfect and it wasn't mind-blowing. I think if they tackled the song individually, they would have each blown the roof off, but I think maybe they were both holding back so as not to overpower or overshadow each other -which is a good thing!
My Grade: B



Sonika & Avalon - "Rise Up" by Andra Day
It's interesting that they would give them a song that is not well known. I don't think I've ever heard it before. They both sound amazing! At first, I thought they are such different singers that they might not mesh well, but they sounded incredible! Sonika always sounds flawless, and Avalon has a great voice as well, but in a different way. Their harmonies were so on point. It was great to see them work together, and I think being roommates made it all the more special. Loved it!
My Grade: A



Dalton & MacKenzie - "I Want It That Way" by The Backstreet Boys
O.M.G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I found out my 2 faves were singing together, I could not hold back my excitement!!! These 2 have so much in common - in that they can rearrange songs and really perform great. And now, I find out what they are singing?! I am in Heaven!!!!!! I can't say anything other than I couldn't stop smiling through the whole thing. Why does it sound like Dalton's mic is cutting out. You can barely hear him at some points. But I almost don't care. I love how their voices sound together! I had no doubts!  ♥♥♥♥♥   As much as I loved it though, I will admit that it did not quite live up to my expectations and what I had built it up to be in my mind. Unfortunately, as much as the audience loved it, the judges kind of ripped them apart and said they should have fought to not sing the song and pointed out that neither of them knew what they were singing about and pretty much just embarrassed them as they stood there with no answers.
My Grade: B+ (and this grade kills me)



Tristan & Lee - "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith
The beginning was just a little too high for Lee. Tristan had a really beautiful opening line. Lee sounds really shaky. Woops...I think the band messed up...it sounded like someone sat on the piano keys all at once. What was that?! I wasn't sure how these 2 would sound together, but they actually sound pretty good. It's too bad that Lee's part was at the highest part of his register. You could tell he was struggling with some of those notes. Tristan actually did a really nice job. And again, her best performances come from non-country or non-country sounding songs. She needs to go away from country and she'll do much better.
My Grade: B



Solo Performances

La'Porsha - "Come Together" by The Beatles
Now here's a surprising choice. I like seeing her branch out. She definitely isn't stuck in a rutt with the same kinds of songs and performances each week. I really appreciate that about her. She may not be my favorite singer, but she gives good performances that I can still enjoy. She doesn't annoy me the way similar singers like her have done in the past. This performance was great, as always. The last note was a little iffy, but I don't think anyone will care.
My Grade: A



MacKenzie – “You Are So Beautiful” by Joe Cocker
He's safe! But for how long, because so far it sounds like he's doing the exact same version of this song as the original. I love him, but it's a snoozefest. His voice is beautiful...but it's a snoozefest. it sounds like he's singing a lullaby and everyone is going to be asleep by the end. Why oh why couldn't he have done something interesting with it! You have to do something interesting because the entire song is literally only one sentence repeated over and over again. He definitely connected with the song and you could tell he was passionate about it, which helped, but still. This could be his last chance because he's right in the middle of the pack right now and 2 of that pack are leaving tonight which puts him closer to the bottom. And then Harry says he couldn't have picked a more perfect song. Um...Ok...
My Grade: B



Trent – “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King
Every week I'm at a loss to put into words a reaction to Trent's singing. I like the way he sings, but some things really bug me. I definitely don't think he's the best singer, but I know the buzz surrounding him, and I'm almost upset that I didn't take a chance and put him down as the winner on my bracket. The way he's going, I think he absolutely could beat La'Porsha. This was another pretty good performance. I'm never left in awe of his greatness the way everyone else is, but I do think he's good. He had just enough of his "Trent-isms", and he's learning how to control them much, much better. Last week was a turning point for him, at least for me. I also like the way he's dressing so much better - sorry J. Lo.
My Grade: A-



Tristan – “A Broken Wing” by Martina McBride
Ruh-roh! How is she safe?! She had a great performance last week, but really?! I picked her going home this week! Yikes! Needless to say, the bottom 3 is going to contain at least 1 surprise. Yet again, I am bested by the country voters! I should have known better! She's the only country singer in the competition, so of course they are going to throw all their votes her way whether she's good every week or horribly out of tune. I will say, this was another pretty good performance, and she's getting better with her stage presence. I just don't think she's ready to win this thing. She's got some grwing up to do yet.
My Grade: B+



...and now I'm officially worried. Are they trying to kill me? They better be calling Dalton next, or I am going to be EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY UPSET! If he ends up in the bottom 3, I am really worried for him because the judges have not been #TeamDalton and have been really critical of him lately. I absolutely see them saving someone over him...especially if they are wanting a girl to win this season like they've been trying to orchestrate. Aaah! OMG...I didn't breathe there for like 30 seconds until they called his name! Whew! Biggest relief EVER! My heart is beating so fast right now! I usually don't get that nervous until the finale...

Dalton – “Eleanor Rigby” by The Beatles
I think Dalton's back! He may not have been his best last week, but this was pretty great. His performance level was up and vocally he sounded amazing. That last scream was amazing! I don't know that the judges will love it, but I think it was great. He might have had a few breathy moments where he was a little out of breath, but it just shows how much he's putting into the song. Surprisingly, the judges are really positive! Yay!
My Grade: A



Bottom 3
So, 2 of my bottom 3 picks are in the bottom. I contemplated putting Sonika there, but I knew Avalon and Lee were strong contenders for the bottom, and Tristan was my lock-in as a definite. Boy was I wrong on that one! I expect the judges to save Sonika. Avalon's great, but Sonika has the voice of a goddess. I don't think they save Avalon twice. They've never been that big of a fan of Lee and usually have a lot of critiques for him. He would have to do something truly amazing and better than he's ever done, and Sonika would have to totally bomb.

Avalon – “Pretty Young Thing” by Michael Jackson
I'm not a fan of this song. I think she did OK, but it wasn't her best. She worked the stage and had audience involvement which was nice, but this was not a "save-me" type of performance. Nothing like her "Earned It" performance from last week. This song didn't give her a lot to work with. She wasn't going to be able do much with this song. She kind of was too laid back in this performance. I didn't feel like she was performing to stay and win like last week. I wonder if she kind of already knows, going up against Sonika, that she probably doesn't stand a chance and kind of gave up?
My Grade: B



Lee – "Let it Be" by The Beatles
I love this song. I think this might be the first time we've seen him without the guitar. I think he's so nervous to go home because his voice is very shaky and pretty pitchy. I don't know why he continues to pick songs that are way too high for him. It's courageous to give it a try, but you can tell he's struggling to hit those notes. Maybe in a couple years, but it just doesn't always sound good right now. I like a few of the interesting note choices he made to the song. Overall, the performance did get better, but like Avalon before him, this is not a "save-me" performance.
My Grade: C+



Sonika – “I Have Nothing” by Whitney Houston
I'm expecting a flawless, showstopping performance. Don't let me down, Sonika. She has yet to have a bad performance, so I don't see that changing now. Clearly the judges would just be silly if they didn't save her. With a voice like that? Come on...she's the no-brainer save. She looks great, she sounds amazing, as usual. It may not have been up to the Evanescence performance a couple weeks ago, but it was still one of the best of the night. The only way they choose Avalon is if they really think her "uniqueness" trumps Sonika's vocal ability.
My Grade: A



Judge's Decision

Saved: Sonika
Going Home: Avalon and Lee



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: