Thursday, March 31, 2016

American Idol, Ep. 15.22

Tonight we find out the Top 3! I can't believe next week is the finale already! It's all ending too soon. I'm worried about Dalton tonight. As much as I love MacKenzie, I think it's his time to go.

Tonight the singers have prepared 3 songs each: 1 picked by the judges, 1 picked by Scott Borchetta, and 1 song picked by them to represent their hometown. I believe they will all sing 1 song and then we will find out who is eliminated. Again...not fair. I think everyone should get to sing their prepared songs.

Round 1: Hometown songs

MacKenzie  – “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen (Lafayette, Louisiana)
He visited the hospital where he almost lost his life and he shared his words of hope for some kids there. So sweet! It was a very emotional trip for him to say the least.

If you've ever read my blog, you know I love this song, and it doesn't matter how many times I hear it, and by how many artists sing it. Each version is unique and beautiful. Just a couple strums of the guitar and I have goosebumps all over my entire body. Clearly, this is an absolutely perfect song for his style. He sounds great. I think this is by far one of his best performances. He had everyone just captivated. He sings with such a quiet voice, but yet it can be deafening. He had a great moment where he did get louder than I think we've ever heard him. It was very dynamic.
My Grade: A



Dalton – “Calling You” by Blue October (Dallas, Texas)
First stop - his Grandma's hair salon to get his hair done. Awe! A visit home would not be complete without a visit to his school - The School of Rock where he teaches vocals. Seeing him working with the kids = swoon. Seeing him break down just makes me want to cry!

I forgot about this song! Who else would pick this song? No one! And that's why it's so great that he picked it! This is the type of song that he excels at. He sounded great. I know it's not everyone's cup o' tea, though. I like the arrangement he did. It was pretty similar to the original, but I noticed some differences that really worked for him. And of course he just knows how to put on a great performance. I love everything he does, and I thought it was great. The crowd had a great response to it.
My Grade: A-



Trent – “Tennessee Whiskey” by Chris Stapleton (Amory, Mississippi)
He hasn't seen his family since he left because he's really superstitious. His family's restaurant was filled with people! He strapped on the apron and went right back to work! This isn't the first time that I've gotten a real sense of "winner vibes" for him, but that's what I'm getting from this visit. And then add a surprise visit to the stage by his family, whom he thought was still watching from hom...

I didn't love this song choice. I did like his a cappella break in the middle. Vocally, it was perfection as always. The beginning was pretty boring, but overall, it was a pretty good performance.
My Score: B+



La’Porsha – "Glory" by Common and John Legend (McComb, Mississippi)
She stopped by the shelter that she stayed at and she talked to the women there. Powerful stuff.

Her talent is undeniable. Perfect song choice for her. This week the drums actually made sense (not like last week). She absolutely slayed this song. Wow.
My Score: A



RESULTS

I am so not ready for this. One of the 2 I have rooted for from day 1 in their auditions, is about to go home. :( I would be absolutely shocked and beyond dumbfounded if either La'Porsha or Trent went home, so that only leaves either Dalton or MacKenzie.

First safe - Trent! Second safe - Dalton!!!! Woohoo!!!!!! MacKenzie says that he can read it for Ryan. He knows there's no way that he's staying and La'Porsha going. And he was right, La'Porsha is also moving on. It was a great ride for MacKenzie. Well done.


Round 2: Scott Borchetta picks

Dalton – “Dancing In The Dark” by Bruce Springsteen
I wasn't so sure about this song for him, but you know what, it actually worked for him. He sounded awesome! I loved the way he moved on stage to the song. J. Lo was absolutely fan-girling in her chair! She was bouncing up and down so hard I thought she might bust her chair! This is turning out to be one of his best performances...I really loved it!
My Grade: A+



La’Porsha – “Stay With Me Baby” by Lorraine Ellison
Yuck, Scott...just yuck. La'Porsha does a great job at picking her own songs, but leave it up to other people, and this is what you get. Scott said she didn't even like the song that much. Clearly, because she has good taste. Of course she sang it well, but the song just was not great. She had some really big notes, and she sang it loud, but she did sound a bit strained on a couple of the higher notes, and I could have done without all of the extra runs at the end. I LOVE that she stuck to her guns and explained why she didn't like the song, and it was because of the message. Harry said he could tell for the first time that she didn't believe in what she was singing. And isn't that just like Scott to push his own agenda and force her to sing a song that she was vocal about not liking or believing in. What an idiot.
My Grade: B



Trent – “Can’t Drink You Away” by Justin Timberlake
Wow, that was another incredible performance! Not much else I can say about that.
My Grade: A+



Round 3: Judges' picks

Dalton – “Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears
Great, great song choice! Very interesting emo beginning! I don't know that it was his greatest vocal, but it sure was an entertaining show! I could have done without the extremely low parts...it was just a little low for him. By lowering it, it kind of gave it a darker feel. I wish he didn't have to end with this performance. He's also in trouble because he's singing first in the lineup. I think they might have sabotaged him a little with this pick. It's a great song, but they could have really pushed him to do something very different, where he could have had a big moment. This didn't really give him the opportunity to do that.
My Grade: B+



La’Porsha – “Hello" by Adele
Well, hello, looks like they're trying to really push La'Porsha into the winner's circle by choosing this song for her. They wanted to push her to make this her own because it is such a well-known song. She pretty much did that. Great, great performance. I got goosebumps.
My Grade: A+



Trent – “Waiting Game" by Parson James
I've never heard this song before. Yet another great performance from Trent. So heartfelt, so spot-on. Great job by Trent.
My Grade: A




So, we NEED to rally for our Dalton! Vote 10 times every method you can!




Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: