Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Voice, Ep, 5.12

The Knockout Round continues, and ends tonight. Adam and Christina each have one save to use.

Team Adam
Lina Gaudenzi vs. Preston Pohl
Lina seems very polished and it feels like she's been performing for a long time. Her runs are crazy good and not overdone.
Preston has such an interesting voice. For some reason every time he performs, I think he sounds different. Or maybe I'm just not remembering him. I didn't remember that his voice was so deep. I think he did a good job with this reggae song.
For me, it's Lina all the way, but Adam loves Preston, so I could definitely see him picking him.
WINNER: Preston

James Wolpert vs. Juhi
James has been a favorite. He always blows me away, because I always forget how good he is and I forget that he sounds like that! I think he did a great job with such a classic song. Who knew he could rock like that?! He had some screamin' goin' on! That was incredible!
Juhi was a save and I was so mad at Adam for saving her. She had overdone her quirky sounds and it was annoying. Adam helped her to tone that down and she was much more tolerable to listen to. She still isn't really my cup o' tea, though.
I would definitely go with James on this one, but we know how obsessed Adam gets with girls like her, and I totally wouldn't be surprised if he continued to go with her.
WINNER: James

Team Blake
E.G. Daily vs. Ray Boudreaux
E.G. picked a good song for her voice, but it's not a song I like. She has a really good voice, but the way she pronounces some of her words bothers me. She messed up the end of the song when her voice cracked and she didn't really hit the high notes.
Ray has been one of my favorites. I really enjoy listening to his voice.
For some reason the coaches have been obsessed with E.G., but I really hope Blake picks Ray! I think Ray will do better on the live shows and he is more versatile. Plus, I think he fits better on Blake's team. His voice is just amazing!
WINNER: Ray

Austin Jenckes vs. Brandon Chase
Austin picked one of my all-time most annoying and over-sung songs: "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain. He didn't do anything to make me like the song. He has a decent voice, but he doesn't stand out amongst the AMAZING other singers in the competition. The song isn't really that challenging, and it was pretty boring, with the exception of the loud, high notes at the end.
Brandon, on the other hand, is so enjoyable to listen to. He started out a little too low, but once he got going, it was really good. Unfortunately, he didn't hit all his notes like I think he can. It still sounded good though.
I would go with Brandon, but I think Blake might hold some of his shakiness and missed notes against him and go with the more consistent Austin.
WINNER: Austin

Team Christina

Anthony Paul vs. Jacquie Lee
Anthony has never been a favorite, and I was surprised that Christina used one of her saves on him. This performance didn't do anything to change my mind about him. I don't think he's that great. His high notes were really flat, and I don't think he did well at all. His song choice was part of the problem.
Jacquie on the other hand, is awesome! She's got a really cute and amazing voice for such a young girl. She has so much confidence on stage. Love her!
For me, this one is so obvious, it's gotta be Jacquie!
WINNER: Jacquie

Matthew Schuler vs. Will Champlin
Matthew chose a Florence and the Machine song, and I can't stand Florence and the Machine. I love Matthew though, and he made it sound good (and it didn't sound like a Florence and the Machine song any more). I love his voice, and he has so much power! He absolutely killed it! He was able to hit all his notes, while belting it out like you wouldn't believe!
I love that Will picked Bruno Mars. I think that was a good choice for him; it wasn't expected, but a good risk to take. He proved that he was a smart save by Christina, because he killed it! It was nice to see this side of him
I honestly can't pick between these 2, because I love them both! Neither is more deserving than the other. I really have no idea which one she will pick.
WINNER: Matthew
STEAL: Adam steals Will (back)

Team CeeLo
Stephanie Anne Johnson vs. Tamara Chauniece
Stephanie made a very bold choice to play guitar (she totally doesn't look like the "singer/songwriter" type of singer) and she's singing Norah Jones...another odd choice. Something about this whole performance is just really weird. She sounds like she's trying to sound like Norah Jones. I can tell this because she did not sound like this on her other songs earlier in the competition. Her voice sounded good, but it was just weird, because the sound doesn't match what we see visually. I can't imagine her wanting to make an album like this.
Tamara also made an interesting choice by doing Alicia Keyes in reggae. I thought her fake Jamaican accent throughout the song was a bit much, but other than that I think she did a good job.
I have not been a fan of either of these 2, so I don't really care who CeeLo picks. I think Tamara did a better job and was more herself than Stephanie.
WINNER: Tamara
STEAL: Christina steals Stephanie Anne (back)

Caroline Pennell vs. George Horga, Jr.
Caroline singing an Ingrid Michaelson song is perfect because she sounds so similar to her. She has really grown in the past couple rounds. She's so much more comfortable on stage and so much more confident. I think she did a great job. I appreciated the little changes she made to the song. She didn't sing it exactly like Ingrid Michaelson, which would be easy to do since she sounds so much like her.
George picked a good song as well. I like his voice and I like his vibe. He had a couple of pitch issues but overall, it was a really good performance. He had really good stage presence, and I liked how he moved on stage, with a few little dance moves thrown in.
This one could go either way. I think Caroline was technically better, but CeeLo might be able to work with George and make him something great. I think he will go with Caroline because of her uniqueness.
WINNER: Caroline


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites

No comments: