Monday, October 28, 2013

The Voice, Ep. 5.11

The Knockout Rounds begin! The difference between the Battle Round and Knockout Round is that singers are choosing their own song and singing it solo, instead of singing the same song as a duet with their competitor. This season the judges get 1 steal each in this round.

Team Christina
Amber Nicole vs. Josh Logan
Nicole came out with all guns blazing. She had a lot of sass, and gave a really good performance.
Josh didn't pick the best song, but sounds good singing just about anything. He did a really good, solid job.
I would go with Josh, but I think Christina will go back to her girl-supporting choices and go with Amber.
WINNER: Josh (Holy crap! Christina is not messing around this season! She is picking the best people!)
STEAL: CeeLo steals Amber

Destinee Quinn vs. Olivia Henken
Destinee has always had pitch problems for me. She has good moments, but she just isn't very consistent. Her voice cracked and was strained on more the one occasion, and it just was not that good. She was pretty flat throughout the whole song.
Olivia was very solid. She listened to Christina's critiques and picked her moments.
Olivia is the obvious choice here, and it's not even close. If Christina messes this up, she is absolutely crazy.
WINNER: Olivia

Team CeeLo
Kat Robichaud vs. Monika Leigh
Kat picked the perfect song for her voice. She has so much rock and grit in her voice. Sometimes it's too much.
Monica picked an absolutely awful song. It might have shown her soulful side, but it didn't really let her show her vocal skills. I wasn't impressed by this or what she's done so far on the show (which is why she didn't win her battle). It definitely was better toward the end...until the last note.
I would pick Kat because she is more versatile and is just a better singer.
WINNER: Kat

Cole Vosbury vs. Jonny Gray
Cole picked one of my absolute favorite songs right now: "Let Her Go" by Passenger. Darn it, I didn't want to like this/him...but it sounds so good! And I didn't expect those high notes at the end!
Jonny has been one of my favorites, I just love his voice. I wish he would have picked a better song though. I don't think the song did him any justice at all. In a knock out, win-or-go-home, do or die battle, that is not the song that's gonna do it.
I would still pick Jonny because I just think he's awesome. Who knows what CeeLo will do. He had Nicholas David, and I feel like Cole is very similar. Adam says he will steal whoever CeeLo doesn't pick, so in that case, I kind of hope CeeLo picks Cole so Adam can take Jonny. I think Jonny would be a great fit for Adam's team.
WINNER: Jonny (Wow! I'm shocked! I can't believe CeeLo actually picked him!)
STEAL: Blake steals Cole

Team Blake

Holly Henry vs. Nic Hawk
Holly picked an awesome song! It's a very surprising choice for a young, little, blond girl who looks so sweet and innocent. She absolutely killed it.
Nic picked a really interesting song: Christina's "Genie in a Bottle". He always borderlines comical and not serious. Parts of his songs make you think "wow, this dude is amazing", while the rest of it makes you say "is this guy for real?".
I think Holly would be the right choice. Nic is different and unique, but I think he's a risky choice. I don't think he is technically as consistent. He was a save last time, and I don't think he did enough to win this battle.
WINNER: Nic (Blake made a wrong choice with that one.)

Briana Cuoco vs. Shelbie Z.
Briana picked an awesome song, I really like it (a blast from the past) and it's also just a really good choice for her. She started out a little shaky, but she found her groove and she nailed it. It was maybe a little flat, but it still sounded good.
Shelbie picked a great song, and it suits her very well. It's hard to do Carrie Underwood justice, but she did. She sounded amazing. She was flawless, and her tone is absolutely ridiculous!
Shelbie probably won the battle, but since I'm not a country fan, and I'm a fan of both Cuocos, I would pick Briana. But with Blake being country, I would be shocked if he picked Briana.
WINNER: Shelbie Z.

Team Adam
Ashley DuBose vs. Tessanne Chin
Ashley chose a great song, but it was really a different one than we've heard from her. For the most part she sounded good, but it sounded like she screetched on a couple of the higher notes.
Tessanne started out a little too low, but she found her groove. I've liked her from the beginning, and she didn't disappoint. She killed the end of the song!
I would pick Tessanne, but I think Adam could really go either way. I think he's been a little more obsessed with Tessanne, so hopefully he will pick her.
WINNER: Tessanne

Grey vs. James Irwin
Grey has such a beautiful voice, and I've loved her from the beginning. Another Kelly Clarkson song tonight, and she did it very well. Her voice is so clear and pitch-perfect. Love her!
James's song choice probably wasn't the best for him. "Breakeven" doesn't really show off a singer's range or give them big moments to shine. He sang it really well though. I've also liked him from the beginning.
This is a tough one, but I would go with Grey. I think James is worthy of a save though. He's got an amazing voice.
WINNER: Grey

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites

No comments: