Wednesday, May 15, 2013

American Idol, Ep. 12.37 & 12.38

It's finally here, the Finale. All I have to say is that I'm glad tonight's show is only an hour. I don't know if I could handle 2 hours. I'm sad to say that this entire season has pretty much been a downer for me. I haven't really enjoyed it all that much. Any way, here's how the finale shakes out:

Each girl will sing 3 songs:
#1: Simon Fuller choice
#2: Winning song
#3: Favorite song of the season

Kree

#1 Country version of Sarah McLachlan's "Angel". Pretty, angelic, and...boring. She shows so little emotion on her face when she sings. She hit a couple of weird notes. It could have been a really good performance, but it was just pretty ordinary.
My Score: B+

#2 "All Cried Out". I actually like this song. It started out a bit slow, but it got better. She sang it really well. It's a little too country for my taste, but still pretty good. Not blown away, though.
My Score: A-

#3 "Up to the Mountain" I don't think this was the smartest choice for her. I'm not really sure why this would be her favorite song. Again, she sang it beautifully, but this time she did add a little bit of umph to it, which made it more exciting. Her best performance of the night.
My Score: A

Final thoughts: I think she's fighting an uphill battle. Everyone is assuming Candice will win, so she's coming in as the underdog. She's singing first, so that's another hill she's got to climb. I think they didn't do her any favors with the first 2 song choices either...they were not memorable. They should have leveled the playing field and let her sing last, especially since Candice sang last last week (at least I think she did). I think all of her songs tonight were too similar, and I don't think she was at her best on any of the songs. I honestly don't see how she can win this, unless her country fans pull off some sort of miracle.

Candice

#1 "Chasing Pavements" by Adele. Her low notes, don't sound very good. I don't like the arrangement of this version. Most of it was sung in such a low register, it was just weird. The chorus was good, though. She sang it very safe and didn't really do much with it.
My Score: B+

#2 "I Am Beautiful". This is much stronger than Kree's song. This is more her style than her first song. Vocally, it was beautiful.
My Score: A

#3 "I Who Have Nothing". I think this was a smart choice. This was one of her most talked about performances the last time she sang it. The a capella at the beginning was so haunting. There was so much production behind her on this, and you knew she was going to blow the house down with as much power as she could muster.
My Score: A+

Final Thoughts: I don't see any way she loses this. The judges have praised her from day one and made sure that America knew that. She isn't the most likable person on the show, so I think they went over the top to praise her vocals so that everyone would love her. The show gave her every opportunity to win this, by having her sing last. Of course America will remember that performance, because it was the last performance of the night, and it was loud. I think the produrcers picked better songs for her than Kree as well.



The Results:


AND THE WINNER OF SEASON 12 IS: CANDICE GLOVER

Was there any doubt? Just like I said...

Looking forward to leaving this season behind and hoping for a better season next time. Randy Jackson is leaving for sure, and there is rumors of the entire judging panel plus Nigel being replaced and the whole show undertaking a complete makeover. I hope so...it gives me hope...we'll see what happens.

No comments: