Wednesday, May 8, 2013

American Idol, Ep, 12.35 & 12.36

Each girl will sing 3 songs, chosen by different people: Jimmy Iovine, production and the judges. One thing is for sure: for the most part the songs are going to be good and better than what they would have picked on their own. And let's hope that they are all something from the last 20 years.

Kree

Jimmy Pick: Pink's "Perfect"--Perfect song for her. She sounded really good on this song, and it really suited her voice. She didn't do that much with the song, though. It was kind of flat and even the whole way through...there wasn't anything that exciting to wow anyone. Oh my...Randy almost stole my critique word for word!
My Score: B+

Judges Pick: Rascal Flatts's "Here Comes Goodbye"--I don't know this song, but she's singing it very well. At least with this song it's not so flat and boring. It was beautiful.
My Score: A

Production Pick: The Band Perry's "Better Dig Two"--Definitely a country song that's for sure. Wow, she's doing a really good job. It's pretty obvious she only feels comfortable singing country songs. Not that that's a bad thing, but artists who can do more than one thing are more versatile. She sounds good singing just about anything, but she sings so boring and flat and looks like she'd rather be anywhere else when not singing a country song. I'm kind of surprised the judges didn't really like it...I figured they would love it.
My Score: A-

Candice

Jimmy Pick: U2's "One"--Strange choice. She sounds flat or sharp or something, but not hitting the right notes. Her high, loud notes are very strained. I did not care for that at all.
My Score: C

Judges Pick: Emeli Sande's "Next To Me"--I love this song! This should be a pretty good song for her. That was much better than the first song. She did a really good job with the song.
My Score: A

Production Pick: "Somewhere" from West Side Story--Why oh why, would they pick this for her? This is not something that should be sung on American Idol. Yes Candice, we know you can sing loud. We get it. But can you be likable? Don't think so. I don't think she nailed the last note, but it doesn't matter because it was loud, right?
My Score: A

Angie

Jimmy's Pick: Elton John's "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word"--Oh my gosh I love this song! It's even better when the group Blue performs it with Elton. Her beautiful clear voice sounds so amazing on this song! 100x better than either Candice or Kree!
My Score: A+

Judges Pick: Pink's "Try"--OMG I love this song. Of course she's going to sound amazing on this song! So good! That is all.
My Score: A+

Production Pick: Emeli Sande's "Maybe"--Absolutely beautiful. I've never heard this song, but she performed it like a pro. It was nice to see her at the piano again. She played and sang with such feeling. It was amazing.
My Score: A

After 3 rounds, they basically gave the round win to the person who performed last in that round. The judges and audience would give Candice the win of the night because she performed last and sang it loud. I don't think that's right. Angie was by far the best and most consistent on every single song. She didn't have a bad performance. The judges tried to make excuses for the misses by saying it was the song choice, but hey, everyone had their songs picked for them, and I truly believe that a true performer can make any song sound good. Angie did that.



The Results:

The Final 2: Candice and Kree

Going Home: Angie

WHAT?!?!?!?!? I can't begin to say how absolutely disgusted, frustrated, upset, furious, and sad I am to see Angie go. In a rather disappointing season, I guess you can say that Candice and Kree deserve to be in the final 2, but not more so than Angie. Angie has never been in the bottom, she has a ton more fans on Twitter, her YouTube performances have gone viral...need I say more? No one was expecting her to be eliminated. The writing was on the wall for Kree after Candice's last performance. What happened? I have some theories:

1) The show is rigged. The judges have been trying to force America into liking and voting for Candice and to some extent Kree as well. When they have a bad performance, the judges blame the songs. Well, my thought is: if you're a true musician, you can make anything sound good. No excuses.

2) Kree and Candice both have sad stories. I think people may have voted, to some extent, out of pity after seeing their hometown visits.

3) People may have thought Angie was safe and didn't vote. The classic blindside. She has so many fans and has never been in trouble, so people assume she is safe, and don't vote.

I think Angie is more talented, more creative, more genuine and an overall better performer. Kree and Candice both have one main problem: when they sing, they look like they would rather be anywhere else than on stage singing. Candice always looks mad and never smiles. Kree's eyes wander and she always looks depressed. While I think both are very good singers, I just can't connect with either of them or feel the urge to root for them. Ii just don't find them likable at all.

Angie has proven that she can write her own music. When it comes to Kree and Candice, I have to wonder if they really know anything about music at all. Neither of them seemed to really know how to take a song and make it their own.

Only time will tell as to how popular and successful either of the final 2 will be. My gut tells me that they will soon be forgotten, no matter how good anyone thinks they are. Nothing about the way either of them sings has made me want to buy anything that they might put out. Kree might have a better chance because country fans are loyal. But Candice? There just is not a large following for her style of music. No one will care about anything she puts out. I'm going on record and saying that right now. Sorry, just my opinion.

No comments: