Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Voice, Ep. 10.14 & 10.15

Top 12

Team Adam

Laith Al-Saadi - "Born Under a Bad Sign" by Albert King
I did not care for this song at all. I don't like how when he does his growl it sounds like he is gargling water - it's kind of annoying. I wasn't really impressed with this.
My Score: B-

Owen Danoff - "7 Years" by Lukas Graham
This is a very interesting song choice for him - not one that I would have expected at all. Funny how a more current song choice can change my mind about someone. He always sings old and very boring songs. This song is current and it allowed him to really dig deep with some feeling - and what an improvement! If he could stick with stuff like this, I could really get behind him. This was a very nice performance. I didn't know he had this type of performance in him.
My Score: A-

Shalyah Fearing - "Up to the Mountain" by Kelly Clarkson
My problem with Shalyah is that she isn't very consistent. She shows signs of being great, but I think just her young age shows at times. She can be pitchy and she can scream way too much. I don't quite see what a lot of others do. She's good, but she's got some growing to do. I was glad to see that one of the recappers I read from TVLine totally agreed with me on her last performance. The coaches and the audience went absolutely bonkers for her, but there were so many pitch issues that it was painful at times. This performance was a lot better, I will give her that.
My Score: B

Team Blake

Mary Sarah - "So Small" by Carrie Underwood
I can't believe that she is the only female country singer left in the competition at the top 12. This was a nice song choice. It's not normal for female country singers on this show to sing something so current (even if it is an older Carrie song). I thought she did a really nice job with it. It was a really strong performance. She added a little bit of her own twist on some of the note combinations.
My Score: A-

Adam Wakefield - "Soulshine" by The Allman Brothers
I haven't been super impressed with him throughout this competition, but he is kind of growing on me every week. I think he actually has one of the best voices in the competition. He's really consistent and rarely hits a bad note. I don't always care for his song choices or style of music, but this one was probably one of his best. Vocally he was superb. I really enjoyed this performance. I could see him having a hit with that song.
My Score: A+

Paxton Ingram - "Hands to Myself" by Selena Gomez
This song, really? Interesting song choice. It makes more sense now that I hear him singing it. He kind of stripped it down and slowed it down. It sounds way more R&B than the original. I'm glad to see that he found his pitch, because he really went off the rails last week. This is the Ingram from the first couple weeks. This was actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I actually liked it better than the original.
My Score: A

Team Christina

Nick Hagelin - "Mine Would Be You" by Blake Shelton
I love that he chose this song for his wife. I would not have guessed he would go for a Blake country song from him, so this should be interesting. I love that he is playing the piano for this. He definitely made it sound like an R&B song instead of a country song. When he stepped away from the piano, his voice just soared. I like his falsetto, but I love his normal singing voice. It was a really sweet performance. He might not be the strongest or most consistent singer, but I always enjoy his performances.
My Score: A-

Bryan Bautista - "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal
I love this song choice for him. I think he's going to sound great, and it's just a great song. Right from the beginning, he sounds just like Seal! Like I mean, JUST like him! I didn't notice that about him before. This was just the absolute perfect song for him. It might have been nice to hear him change up the song a little bit so it didn't sound so much like a copycat version, but he sang it so well. He did change up the end a little bit and it was very nice. I really liked this a lot! He really rocked the ending. He might have shouted a little too much at the end, but that's the only complaint I have.
My Score: A

Alisan Porter - "Stone Cold" by Demi Lovato
Whoa, this is a big song and I think she is going to rock it. This is a perfect song for her. She really gave so much emotion and depth to this song. For all of the run-of-the-mill mediocre singers this season, she stands out as the CLEAR front-runner. Each week she takes another step above all the others and really distances herself. Clearly the best performance of the night. This was so ridiculously good. She was big and loud, but she didn't scream or shout it. It was flat-out belted and it was incredible. She is absolutely Christina's best chance to break the girl coach losing curse.
My Score: A+

Team Pharrell

Daniel Passino - "Human Nature" by Michael Jackson
This is not my favorite song choice for him - it was actually more terrible the longer it went. I've liked him in the past, but this song choice didn't really do anything for him. I hope he can stick around despite this boring and mediocre performance. The long high notes at the end were kind of like nails on a chalkboard for me. He wasn't necessarily out of pitch, but it was just really annoying notes that he held out way too long.
My Score: B+

Emily Keener - "Lilac Wine" by Jeff Buckley
The only Jeff Buckley song that I know is "Hallelujah", so I wasn't sure what to expect. Turns out this was nowhere as good as "Hallelujah". BORING! Painfully boring. I don't get the song at all. I don't think she sounded that great at all. Whoa, there was a VERY big crack in her voice on a note that was not all that difficult to hit. Since I don't know the original, I don't know if this was all her or if the original was that bad, but wow. I did NOT like that at all.
My Score: D

Hannah Huston - "Something's Got a Hold on Me" by Etta James
This was an interesting performance. A very different version of the song, but it was actually kind of good. She really rocked it out. She had a really great stage presence and really performed the heck out of it.
My Score: A

Results

Bottom 2: Emily Keener and Owen Danoff
Wow, that is a totally appropriate bottom 2, I will say. Won't really be sad to see either go.

Emily
Well, this song is NOT going to win it for her, I can guarantee. This is just as slow and boring as the one she did the night before. BORING! You can't sing songs like this when you are singing for your life and expecting people to vote for you. The only way she wins this is if Owen sings a similar song, then it will probably be about even. She showed a little bit of life at the end, but again, she had a "honk" where her voice cracked. Yuck.
My Score: D

Owen
I love the song choice - Ed Sheeran's "Lego House". A popular song by a popular artist, so this should easily win this battle for him. Emily sang a song no one knows and it was boring as all get-out, so, you win Owen. He sang this pretty well, including the really fast lyrics. He's definitely not the best singer, but singing a popular song goes a long, long way in a competition like this.
My Score: B

Saved by America: Owen
Going Home: Emily

Right choice, America. Right choice. The voting looked a little closer than I thought it would, but it happened just like I said it would.



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: